1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Size??

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by jdbernal3, May 15, 2007.

1. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

I've got a male that is about 80 pounds, pure pit. And lean. Now there is all these larger dogs coming out about 120+ Is it possible to have a true pit at that weight through selective breeding? I know most of those guys cross breed crap into the dogs, but I happen to run into one of the owners and he says he guarantees that they weren't cross bred. What's your opinions on that, is it even possible for the dogs to gain THAT much size maybe over a 10 year period of selective breeding for tallness, and length. I know there are a lot of idiots making them short and wide.... with legs bowed out and like a few inches long... I wont go there... anyway. I have seen a few of them that are huge and are tall, and normal looking except for their size of course. I like my game dogs, just wondering what you guys think, not sure whether to believe him or not.

2. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

the first question is, is it possible to have a "true pit" at 80lbs? :)

3. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

80#s lean???

dang- you go Man.

4. NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A PIT BULL LOL

come on man what are you doing. Just trying to come on here causing trouble or are you for real.

5. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

anyone else notice it's always someone with less than 5 posts coming up with these questions? I smell troll for sure....

6. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Here's a 70 pounder.

Size doesnt matter as long as the dog is well proportioned IMO. Alot of people will give you shit for having a plus size APBT and tell you that it isnt "real"... but do you really think that the dog on the other side of the pit "back in the day" cared about what his opponent looked like?

[​IMG]

7. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

Yes it's possible. I just got off the phone with Cheryl L. Larum the owner of larumapbt.com GRCH 'PR' LARUM'S GAFFS CA. LIBBY Is the only dog on this guys ped on his website that shows up. Not even sure how far back. She said that in one of her litters she ended up with a 101 pound rednose bitch. And another later at 98. But she said it was very rare. She doesn't breed for size anyway as you can tell by all her dogs. Beautiful dogs. But she also said it's impossible to have them at 120+ pounds unless they are scatterbred. So around 100 pounds is possible, but rare. And this is coming from someone breeding for about 34 years. http://bernal3.ourpitbulls.com/3443 Is my dogs, don't mind the date on the camera it wasn't set right. But that's tyson in front when he was a little fat. Lol.

8. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Looks AmStaff to me but still would be considered "pit bull"...just not APBT

9. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

There is no reason to do a selective breeding towards biggers dogs, from time to time you get a freak of nature that is BIG but if the dog doesnt fit on the standard you shouldnt breed him.

One advice i'll give you is love your dog, no matter if weights 30 or 120 lb or what other people say about him ...hes your dog and a member of your family, but do not breed him if hes out of the standard or hes not good enough to have offspring carrying the name American Pit Bull Terrier.

My dog is 66lb, i was told he's purebreed APBT and im sure he is, hes 9 years old and i wanted to have pups off him, but then thinkin about it twice and not being selfish i decided to not breed him because im not a breeder, i cant make sure the rest of the pups will go to a good home and my dog doesnt fit into the standard 100%... by breeding my dog i would be giving my 0.2 to ruin the breed and thats the reason i didnt finally breed my dog.

[​IMG]

As you can see, hes not bully breed and i can asure you he did things that i'll be proud all my life but thats not enough to breed him.

10. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

Actually, no not trying to stir up trouble. Just wondering, i'm starting to read up on the history and old lineages. But this guy swore up and down that his dogs were real, I just couldn't believe it. I argued they were american bullies, but he insisted. Just wanted to get some professional opinions. But I did happen to get one on the phone, so for any other people that happen to have a question like that, well the answer came from a pro. And as for a troll... @#$% off... Not everyone has researched everything yet, i'm working on it. It's usually the people that come on to someone elses post, don't put any input in, flame people for their lack of knowledge and try to sound like a genius that look the most stupid. So back to my post.... I've been using other pitbull forums, and happen to try this one out, because the other ones i've tried don't allow web addresses to kennels and lineages of dogs, they don't want to promote breeders, and breedings. But I have found more information on this site than any of them so far. So i'll start posting more here if that will make you happy! Thanks guys.

11. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

maybe you're not a troll then. I will say you have come to the right place to learn from folks who do know, and I will not for a second claim to know things I do not know. I don't care if you've been into the dogs for 30+ years, there's always more to learn, always someone out there with experiences and knowledge you do not have that can enrich your life if you take the time to be open minded and listen to what they have to say.

12. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

Very nice dog. Yeah I took these dogs from a friend that was just breeding them and selling them. I had to do a lot of training and extra care to get them in better health and shape. It felt good to put them in a better home. They went from eating diamond premium edge and having the runs due to food allergies... I put them on canidae and man it worked like a charm! Give them lots of running/walking time. And now going to put them in weight pulls! Getting them all fixed in a bout a week or two. No sense in adding more dogs to the pound. I talked to the original owner of the main male and both of his parents were pure apbt, from what he says. I could be wrong, I know the mother of the other two in the picture is pure apbt. She is in height and weight standard. Trying to find a home for her now because the idiot gave her up to the pound. Been working on it for 3 days now! I wish I had room, she's already fixed and everything... :( But whatever they are, like you said, I love them and they are mine!

13. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

It's cool man, I just got a little upset, I didn't want people to get the wrong impression about me. Beautiful dog btw.

14. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

I agree with this 100%... it doesnt matter WHO you are, there is ALWAYS more to learn.

15. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

if some one is breeding 10 years for size....never mind not going to waste time.:rolleyes:do me a favor and shoot them in the head..

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  16. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

It's all good, just been noticing alot of questions coming up regarding size and color and "do you think it's a real APBT" and that kind of thing. Usually the people who ask those questions are here one day gone the next. Thanx for the compliment on the dog, that's Lexi. She's a good dawg...

17. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

Yeah nobody talked about it on the other forums. It was all rescue on the other forums. I happen to run into someone and had to prove to myself that I was correct about the scatter breeding. If he didn't live so far away I would shoot him for you!