1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Show me your collar!

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by Patch O' Pits, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Hi

I am thinking about showing Touhche' and Bodacious in ADBA in the future

So I'd like to see what type of collars you use when showing. I realize they have to be buckle collars and not regualr show collars and leads.

Do you just use regular plain ones. Can there names be on them? or is that a no no in the ring? 1'' 2''? Leather/ nylon or doesn't any of that matter?

Also is it a specific lead legnth that is required??? I prefer 3 or 4'' leads but don't know if that is OK?

I am used to using show leads and showing UKC and know it is very different

Post some picts of yours if you can

I don't want to look on the adba site for info because last time it gave my pc a virus when I was on it.

Thanks in advance. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you :)

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

The ADBA specifies a 4' lead. I don't think they'd care if your lead was shorter, just longer. I used a 6' lead at a fun show one time, but I kept it reeled in short.

I don't think they care what the collar looks like as long as its in good repair. I've seen both nylon and leather, various widths. This is Loki showing at our fun show last year, just wearing her regular 1" house collar:

[​IMG]

Here's what I use for an ADBA collar now. The wider collar encourages her to pull and look a bit more intense, although she admittedly gets pretty bored with that show stuff:

[​IMG]

One more thing, strictly IMO, and you may already know this. Show UKC first. Its better to have the dog used to behaving in the ring and then taking it into ADBA where they can act up a bit, as opposed to vice versa. I know there are folks that do both, but I'd prefer my dog not learn chaotic behavior until done with the UKC stuff. I screwed up and took Loki to the ADBA Nationals a month before she was going to a UKC obedience trial, and she ended up getting in an accident at the show. I had to real quick get her back into training to make sure she didn't get the idea that she had to be pre-emptive as far as other dogs were concerned.

3. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I have a friend to whom I asked this same question. She has shown a few of her dogs to their ADBA CH. She recommends using rolled leather collars. She said some flat collars can make a dog's neck look too short, whereas the rolled leather gives the dog a more natural look. She also told me to get a color that matched the dog's fur.

4. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I do like those rolled leather collars, but they can have the tiniest D-rings. Loki's neck is a whole 16" behind her ears, and she's got 2 of those kind of collars. By the time I bought the 2nd, I remembered that the micro-ring was why I retired the first. LOL. But they do look nice on. Very classy.

5. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

stillwater has 4 ply 1.5" collars that are awesome for show.

6. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Thanks everyone. I'm going to see what I can find. If I find any good rolled colors with big enough loops I'll post the link. Actually I think Hoyden may be able to make them with whatever hardware you want. I'll let you know what I find out. I found a couple of really nice looking flat leather ones but they have embossing and I'm thinking now plain is probably better.

Honestly I showed ADBA only one time and it was when Patcheeno had just turned 6 months he is now almost 8. It was in NC. He sire showed and got some points that weekend. It was fun watching. The judge flat out told me he was too well behaved and I'd need to amp him up. LOL Patcheeno had already graduated from advanced obedience even though he was just a pup. I couldn't see myself regressing his training just for a title so I decided not to show him with ADBA. I waited until he was a year old single registered him with UKC. Then titled him that way. So I only know what to do in that venue. All the advice is GREATLY appreciated

That was so long ago. I'm looking forward to at least checking out some events or doing weight pull with them when the girls are older. I may head to the NJ show in April. But probably won't put the girls in because they will have just turned 6 months and will be the bottom of that class, so IMO probably won't be developed enough as compared to the 9 month olds... who knows maybe I'll give it a shot anyway for the ring experience. It is all for the fun of it any way :)

After losing Sock-M which I took very hard, I have been lax on the pups' training and just been enjoying every minute of playing tug and fetch and loving them. Though they do know their obedience commands, just not with distractions, I haven't done any stacks. It is so opposite of how I usually am with pups. I usually am very much into obedience training already at this point.

7. I got this collar from stillwater. If you get one get one with the velcro it holds down the extra non used part of the collar and looks real good on the dog. here is an example of one of my dogs.

[​IMG]

8. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

I still haven't decided. The rolled leather ones I found so far are no good since the thicker ones only come in sizes tooooo big for them and the thin ones are definately not strong enough for my taste even for the pups. I'm still looking around. the stillwater collars are nice looking. Thanks everyone for the picts and ideas

9. this is what i use :D

10. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

yes...awesome colloars huh? I use them for puppies :D

11. they do kick ass. i'd say they are strong enough for adult dogs too. shit 4 ply and the hardware on that thing i don't see breaking! lol now that i've gotten products from shane i'll never shop anywhere else more than likely unless i'm in need of something right then at a show or something.

12. Yes Stillwater is the only way we go, from pups to laid back ones, to pysco ones, to showing in the ring. They have the best all around collars out there. Heavy duty, yet look nice on the dogs. They will always have our business!

13. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

IMO, get one of Stillwaters velcro collars. I got one at the AARD show in Taylorsville and it is great. Strong and well made. And looks great. The one I got just cost $8.

I hope you show them so I can see you at a show. I know they have shows in New Jersey and in Pottsville Pa. Good luck if you do show them.

14. diva

diva CH Dog

I agree. Go with a Stillwater collar. They are awesome!

Here is one of my boys in the show ring with his Stillwater collar.

[​IMG]

15. i,ll be showing all of mine this year at nationals kellyville sedalia and chicago hopefually i,ll get to make all those shows this year.

16. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

Hey Patch...From a ADBA Judges standpoint...I don't like seeing dogs come in the show ring with those wide collars. It distorts the dogs neck and makes it look too short. At least in the show ring... we prefer handlers use a 1" collar..it doesn't matter if it is leather or nylon..just make sure it is nice and sturdy and cinched up nice and tight on the dogs neck.:)
    After their class is over we put ours back in their heavier collars ;)

17. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I am so going to have to remember that the next time I show Loki. I saw everybody else with those wide collars and thought it was what we should have, too. The husband just bought her a nice 1" leather job with deerskin inside, so maybe we'll use that.

18. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

That is good to know thanks!
    I don't know how the lil ones will do but we may just give it a shot even though I don't think they are ready yet. I have a lot to learn on ADBA showing, but I figure the best way is to ask questions & just jump right into it.

19. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

PennSooner, thanks for the kind words, and it was a pleasure to meet you in NC.

Give me a call one day when you get a chance. I may have something you are interested in!!

Shane

20. apbtluver

apbtluver Top Dog

Yes, I have heard that from a number of judges as well. You use a wider collar for a dog with a longer neck to take away from that. A vast majority show with a 1" collar.

I do agree that Stillwater puts out great products. If I'm not mistaken he has 1" collars as well. I'm rather fond of the seatbelt collars with the blue nylon. :D

I go with bright and colorful collars but that is personal preference. (That and our store carries them. ;) )