1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Shock

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by catchdog, Oct 18, 2010.

1. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

I am curious to know how many deal with shock if there is not a vet available for any amount of time.

2. general

general Big Dog

I.v fluids , dexamethasone.

3. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yep, and keeping the temp up. shock will drop a dog's temp pretty quick sometimes. better keep a thermometer on hand. ideal temp should be between 100.5-102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. Check it rectally, of course.

IV fluids are super-important, but they also lower the body temp. Run your IV line thru a bowl of warm water, and keep the water warm while they're getting fluids to help counter-act this. Or you can run it thru a rolled up heating pad. Cold blood doesn't do as good of a job circulating oxygen, so keep 'em warm!

4. All of the above plus a little Vit K in the I.V. to help curb any internal hemorrage and electrolyte solution as a "pick-me-up". If the dog is badly injured, some analgesic since the better it feels the faster it will recover.

5. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

also good advice. I didn't think to mention the vit k. stuff can be a life saver sometimes...

6. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

i think it depends on whats the shock about... they can be in shock of alot of things...
    fights, acedents, strokes.. all kind of things can give a shock. or when they ar overheat. all kind of things.. non situation is the same..
    so you need to look at the situation whats happend.

all the best to everybody..

:)

7. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

can you give a few examples of some of the differences that you are familiar with? I would like to know what others with dogs are thinking?Not lookin to re read a copy and paste though. thanks

8. There are only two reasons I have seen dogs go into shock, from acute trauma and from becoming hypovolemic.
    Both are dealt with in the same way, ringers + dex + vit k + electrolytes + analgesics if needed.
    Then you wait to see kidney function.

9. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

gringo that avitar got me trippin after this blunt..lmao