1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

-Shock Collars-

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Laced Wit Game, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Im debating on getting one or not. i have a couple miles of ricefield behind my house that i excercise the dogs in. theyre fairly well obedience trained as it is but if something distracts them (example a rabbit pops up) the chase is on and theyre gone until they catch it or lose it. it doesnt bother me that theyre chasing rabbits or whatever but im afraid that if it leads them to a road than they may get hit. im thinking that a shock collar may work as a helpful training method.
    what do you guys think?
    (fur mommies can sit this one out as i already know whats commin! lol)

2. msdogman

msdogman Pup

ive used them on bay dogs that tried ruuning deer worked pretty good

3. NotaBlueHippo

NotaBlueHippo Big Dog

Ive used em. But some bulldogs are just too driven for em to work. Had a couple dogs just turn their head a lil when shocked and just kept on. So id borrow one and see if it works on your dog before buyin one. Jmo.

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i always wondered how they woukld work on bulldogs
    let me know how they worked for you
    thanks notablue hippo
    do u think they would work on most bulldogs?
    anyone else with experience?

5. msdogman

msdogman Pup

the only time i used one on a bulldog when i hit him with it he stopped what he was doing and started biting the ground hen i let off he went right back to killing my chickens

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i plan on using it as a routine thing, hopefully theyre smart enough to figure out when i yell for them to come back that if they dont they get zapped until they do.

7. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Read up on the proper way to use them before trying it out. I have a Dogtra 200NCP Gold. Your dog should know obedience commands (including the recall!) before using the e-collar for the purpose you intend. My dog already knew her basic commands and recall before I put the collar on her. She had the same issue; she naturally stayed near me but if she saw a squirrel she'd take off in a heart beat. I really don't even need the e-collar for her any more because a "Here!" command will bring her back if she gets distracted. I still have her wear it when we go hiking though, it's a great insurance policy. A e-collar is basically an extension of the leash. It is wonderful for distance obedience work, because you can correct the dog from 20 ft away or what not. And your goal isn't to shock the dog into oblivion and wait for it to be screaming and thrashing on the ground. You set it to the lowest possible stim that will receive a response from the dog (usually a small flinch or head turn).

My white dog has a high pain tolerance. I attempted to use the e-collar to keep from bothering my ducks. I started on the lowest setting and continued to work my way up to find a response point. I was hitting it on 100 continuously and he never even flinched. My boxer mix curs out at 30. I cur out at 20 lol

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

good food for thought, thanks BB. where did you get it. only reason i ask is cuz im workin with a $100 gift certificate to petco so i would need to pick something up there.

9. AGame

AGame CH Dog

LMAO....... ahahahaha i cant believe u tried to use it on yourself to see how much you could take :p

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

im not tryin to break my dog tho! it wont kill his spirit will it? i kno these ar green questions but i aint no dog trainer! lol

11. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

If anything, my dog has learned to love the e-collar. She is the most in her element when she is running, and she has figured out the e-collar means she its going to be burning some energy. She starts whining and jumping around when I bring it out. She doesn't receive many shocks on hikes anymore because she has learned to listen to my voice commands, so I would not say her spirit is broken. Now if I was constantly on her, shock after shock and never giving her a chance to recover then yes I would say the improper use of an e-collar can severely fuck your dog up.

AGame, I was in the mind set that if I could use such a training tool on my dogs then I better be able to handle it myself lol It's a terrible sensation.

Really the best e-collars on the market are Dogtra and Tri-Tronics. I bought mine off craigslist for $100 and I have had no complaints about it; it's been wonderful. Brand new it retails $200 from the manufacturer. You see them occasionally on craigslist even now, but they can be bought up pretty fast. Petco doesn't sell either of those brands. I believe they have Innotek and I haven't heard great things about it.

edit
    Here is one for sale in Granite Bay...This model is much more powerful than mine.

Dogtra 2200NCP Remote Dog Training Collar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  12. Boze

Boze Top Dog

my pup is about six months old but still will not always come to me when we are hiking he will follow if i turn around an go the other way but really does not come when called or when i go near himm sometimes he just runs like we are playin a game i was wondering if anyone has any advice

13. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

My experience is that they don't work well on game dogs.

You will get some that respond to them but the overwhelming majority of them either pay no attention to it or they flinch but don't really bat a eye at the shock.

Chances are very good that you will waste a good amount of money on one of those things and it will never get used. I would go with what another member already suggested and try to borrow one from a friend or maybe even try to get in contact with a good gun dog trainer and just tell him that you have a dog and your not sure how he will react to the shock collar and maybe if you bring the dog out he will test it for you on the dog and you can go from there.

But if you do have a dog that reacts to it you need to learn how to use it the right way, You need to get your level right and you need to learn when to hit the button and for how long. If you get a dog that will respond and you put it to high or use it to much you can hurt the dog or wind up with a dog that will never want a collar of any kind on it's self again. I actually seen a man lose a Labrador over that, He quit using the shock collar but the dog killed it's self trying to get just a regular collar off when the man was out of the house.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

well its not an urgent matter right now, im pretty sure my dogs will respond but when i get a game dog ill try it and c how it works. thx everybody.

15. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

why is that? i strongly believe in this method.
    the military and police must undergo training in NLF (non lethal force) before they can use it...that means THEY get tazered, stun guned, and pepper spayed before they get to carry/use the tools.

if you dont understand the method you are using, there is a good chance you will use it wrong.

that said- im not for shock collars, these dogs arent always very dettered by any kind of ~pain~

16. AGame

AGame CH Dog

oh i totally understand the training these people go through and understand why they are subjected to the use of non lethal weapons for training purposes,but i took it as he was playing with it so see how much he could take b4 he curred out :p which im sure probably wasnt the case anyway was just the thought of someone sitting at home with a shock collar shocking themselves made me LOL

17. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

AGame: I'm a girl by the way, so it seems slightly less pathetic that I could only make it to 20. lol And it really was just me sitting at home with the collar wrapped around my arm and cranking the dial haha. My whole hand clenched up and there is a terrible shooting pain through the muscle. Thankfully the dogs can handle it better than I can.

Laced: Best of luck with your endeavors. I took my Boxer mix out today to some open fields and let her run around. No worries with her e-collar on. :) She is a soft dog though.

18. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

The collar should not be used to create pain but to be the equal of a correction of a collar. My most obeident dog is e-collar trained and she has a incredible pain threshold. It is faster than a pop on the collar and u can do up several feet away. I train my dog through treats once they have the command down then I use the collar. I only turn up the level of stimulation in a emergency type situation....dog running towards a car for ex. I like em and use them but not good for very sensative dogs. Jst my 2 cents and only trying to benefit the dogs in my reply.

19. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I recomend testing the collar on yourself....what if its malfunctioning to intense or not working at all. I have tritronics collars and on level 1 I cant feel it at all. Mine goes up to level 5. Put the 2 prongs on your jeans its doesnt hurt it feel like a electronic muscle stimulater used by physical therapists. Of coarse I am not saying crank to max and put it on your neck just levels 1 and 2.

20. AGame

AGame CH Dog

well i will stick to training my dogs the old fashion way,years ago i went to jump an electric fence as i did i got tripped up and my legs got twisted in the barb wire and i pretty much couldnt do anything but get shock after shock from this dam thing. we had a super 98 charger on it and for those of u who dont know of this fence charger i can tell you it is not just a small pulse but anyway i dont think i wanna mess with any electricity anymore lol if not for my grandfather i guess i would be dead as long as i was caught in it