1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

OH: Seven spectators of largest dogfighting ring in Akron history sentenced

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

By Adam Ferrise
    December 16, 2015 at 5:57 PM, updated December 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM

AKRON, Ohio — The first seven spectators convicted in Summit County Common Pleas Court for watching a massive dogfight that drew spectators from around the country were sentenced on Wednesday.

Several other spectators were previously sentenced after pleading guilty in federal court.

Visiting Judge James Kimbler on Wednesday sentenced two men— Timothy Robertson, 43, and Che Riggins, 39 — to serve 90 days in jail. The other five men received probation, house arrest or both. All were ordered to pay fines that will be directed to the Humane Society of Greater Akron.

"These gentleman fuel this industry," Assistant Summit County Prosecutor Kevin Mayer said. "They watch dogs get mutilated for enjoyment. I think a message needs to be sent to the community."

The Humane Society spent more than $63,000 caring for the eight pit bulls seized during the Nov. 15, 2014 raid at a home in the 1100 block of Cordonva Avenue.

The sentences varied based on background checks by the county probation department that took into account various factors, including criminal history. A woman charged in the case, Karen Crosby, 59, was only convicted of possessing marijuana and not dogfighting. She lived at the home and knew a dogfight was taking place but did not participate, Mayer said.

Authorities charged 10 of the 47 people arrested in the case in federal court. All 10 pleaded guilty.

The organizer, Alvin Banks, 56, already is serving a two-year federal prison sentence. Summit County prosecutors charged him with identical state crimes after he refused to testify against co-defendants.

The Summit County case has 36 defendants. Twenty-five have been convicted or pleaded guilty. The other 17 are awaiting sentencing. There are three more trials scheduled in Summit County Common Pleas Court.

Banks had an elaborate set-up for training dogs for fighting, a ring for holding tournaments and even had a concession stand set up for spectators on Nov. 15, 2014, when police and federal agents raided his property.

Eight pit bulls and pit mixes were seized during the raid, including two bloodied dogs fighting in a ring set up in Banks' garage. One of the dogs was eventually euthanized.

Forty-seven people, including some from as far away as California, were arrested during the raid, which Akron police called the largest dogfighting bust in history.

Authorities also seized more than $52,000 in cash, brought by those who came to bet on the matches, and another $30,000 strewn on the ground.

Pictures at source: http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2015/12/seven_spectators_of_largest_do.html

2. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

Damn rats!!!!

3. Kenaii

Kenaii Pup

Why do they say this about every damn bust?

4. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I remember back when they increased that law too include 'SPECTATORS", and in this article is exactly what they are trying to convey, yet if I am not mistaken it is still legal to watch a video of dog fighting.

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Because the media wants to sell papers and hyping something up helps them to do that. It catches your eye so you read their bullshit.

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

It is still legal to watch or posses match videos. Those are protected under the 1st amendment of our Constitution. Thank Bob Stevens for that one. His entire case revolved around the fact that without the 1st amendment we have no freedom to express ourselves through written word, video, photography or painted pictures. I remember the case well since it happen here in Pa. He won in the supreme court. However, while it is legal to posses such things one has to understand that intent is 9/10th of the law and if you get jammed up with multiple dogs, mags, books, equipment, videos, all which are legal to posses, it will be used against you in the court of law as intent to participate in dog figthing otherwise known as conspiracy to commit animal cruelty and in today's world there is a very good chance they will win against you because of the mounting evidence all of those legal things provide for a prosecution. It's a very fine line to walk. They are legal in the U.S to possess and watch though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  7. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

so judging by the fuss over this, i'm going to assume these were guys who were real dogmen? seems that way with the sponges and such. a damn shame. someone must have ratted. jeez, japan is looking pretty good right about now for me. low crime rate.....no lawson badger or boar.... matches are legal.

8. Forever-So REAL

Forever-So REAL Quintuple Grand Champion

$63,000 they coming off like that's a lot what about the mill on ceo Humane Society house

concession stand set up really! :cuss: :banghead:

[​IMG]

9. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Good info AGK for all to take heed.

Bluedoglover that doesn't mean they where real dogmen. As AGK said the media is most likely making more out of it then it really is. If it's not pumped up no one will make money. The worse they make it seem the better it is for them.

10. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Yeah I remember Bob Stevens and that whole ordeal he went through. The reason why I said "if I am not mistaken", because in this day and age our fucking bullshit laws can CHANGE so fast on a drop of a dime especially if someone gets offended LMAO.

11. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

very true. didn't they also make up myths about pouring bird blood on a dog?

12. Kenaii

Kenaii Pup

I remember seeing that. It was to 'make the dog extra vicious' apparently. I guess the gunpowder in his food wasn't enough lmao

13. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

just got stratton's book. makes me wonder how this sport ever became a felony. so many liars and idiots on the side of the humaniacs. smiling when told they could kill the dogs. sick f*cks.