1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up a dog run

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GAowner, Feb 8, 2007.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Well those of you that remember my posts are going to bash me and thats fine. I deserve it. Maybe not all, but most of it.

I removed the dogs from the house until things could be worked out. Turned out my mother in law fell in love with my bulldog so shes going to keep her.

I could not find a suitable home for my APBT so he is returning to his original home in GA. I have come with him and am here to make sure the proper restraints are put in order

The first 2 things we are going to create are a chain set up and a dog run. I have 3 acres so fencing that in is not realistic.

For the chain setup, I have a basketball pole that I am going to attach the chain to. I figure if I loop it around the pole and keep some slack in the loop, it shouldnt bind and he wont get tangled or twist the chain..

The dog run is where I am at a loss. I plan on using the same basketball pole for one end and possibly a 6x6 beam set into the ground with concrete for the other end. Or do I need to get a metal pole? I am assuming i would run a cable from one end to the other but dont know which size cable to use and how to connect the dog to the cable.

Thanks, I only have till Sunday, to get this done

2. game_test

game_test Top Dog

you are already talking about using an inferior chain set up. get the proper o-rings, snaps, chains, collars etc and make sure it is done right so you dont have any problems. there are complete set ups for sale online if you dont know how to make one.

as for a cable dog run, 2 large diameter pieces of lumber, set deep in the ground with a wire cable running tightly between them, and a chain running on a pulley along the cable. had one like that in texas it was nice. wasnt cheap or easy to build though, looks like you have some work to do.

3. GAowner

GAowner Pup

i dont see the chain set being inferior but if thats the genral consenus, then I will do it another way. The basketpole is NOT going anywhere. Its solid as a rock and is a 4 inch pipe. I figured I could just elimanate the axle step as I had already a solid foundation.

I was going to get the chain set up from the feed store or get it from Stillwater

What size wire cable?
    Where can I get the pulley?
    How high should the cable be off the ground?
    Whats the max length of the dog run?

4. If you would just use a proper chain space set up, you could have it done in 2 hours with about 40.00 tied up in it. It isn't that costly, not is it time consuming. There are PLENTY of threads on THIS board that WILL guide you and help you complete your mission.

5. game_test

game_test Top Dog

trust me the chain will end up twisting somehow because it isnt able to swivel on both ends. it also would look like crap, ive seen it dont like that before and to me i like things no matter what they are to look good. thats just me though.

as far as the cable run, i cant remember how thick the cable was, it wasnt anything thin i know that. you should eble able to find everything at home depot. the one we had was about 40 feet long, the cable stretched across about 6 feet overhead.

6. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Gaowner, if you plan on using a basketball pole build your chain set up, you are going to have one tangled up dog lol, build yourself a proper chain set up , i did mine for less than $40 in 1hr tops, pounding that axle is the hardest part lol. Good luck.

7. 440rider

440rider Guest

scrap that basketball pole idea hell might as well strap him to the 3 washers in the yard.here you go hope it helps....
    GROUND CABLE RUN SET-UP.....
    We run our cables on the ground (12ft chains) we have 50 and 100ft although with cable runs you need to keep close check of your hardware. What you need is 1/4 cable or larger and u bolts to attach the ends of the cables to themselves in order to make a loop we use up to 5 on each end. Put your O-RING from your chain set-up (HEAVY DUTY O-RING) through the cable then run an axle through each of the holes you created at the ends with the u bolts and run the axles into the ground on each end about 6-10" under ground (dig the area our first). Once the cable is tight and the axles are buried take 4 peices of 5ft' x 1/2" rebarb and bend them in half and hammer 2 on each side at the base of the cable by the axle (this will take pressue off the axle and prevent from lifting if the ground gets saturated.) Pretty simple and holds an end of the chain dog..good luck!

8. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Well I dont have a car axle. Out here, i could probably get one off someones yard fairly easy though :)

I just picked up everything for the chain at tractor supply. cool store

I dont see how hes going to tangle around the pole unless theres slack in the chain and he runs around. I am going to try it. If he gets tangled, no biggie. hes only outside for a little while and we'll keep an eye on him. AT LEAST HE WILL BE SECURE. What we are going to do is use a small piece of chain and link it together, then attach the long chain to the loop. That way, there will always be slack around the pole.

For the dog run, on the ground sounds easier, but it will make lawn maint a pain. We have a guy that comes and cuts the grass whos in a wheelchair. He does it for dirt cheap so i dont want anything o the ground.

I am going to put up 2 6x6 about 100 feet away. I am going to drill a hole at the top and put some big eye bolts through it, then run the cable through the eye bolt and use the ubolt clamps. I was going to use 2, but 5 is good.

Do I need to connect chain to the pulley or can i use cable? the chain seems so heavy.

The cable will be about 6 feet off the ground. how long should the chain/cable be from the pulley to the dog?

I'll make sure everything is heavy duty

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  9. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Great idea. I guess I'm gonna go shopping tomorrow:D

10. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

no offense but If your gonna do it then do it right. These dogs are escape artists a jenky set up isn't gonna help.

11. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

It's good to see you are taking steps and making an effort. I wouldn't play around anymore, just get the axel. I can totally see how he'de get tangled around the pole. Now, if that does happen, he could potentially snap the chain too. I had a bitch who broke a very thick chain by somehow twisting it until it broke. The last thing you want is to cut a corner and have the dog get lose again. Imagine how frustrated you will be, what might happen to the dog? You would end up having to go get an axel anyways! I hope you do, there are plenty out there for you to come by. Good luck!

12. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Well I said if the general consenus thought it wouldnt work, then i wouldnt do it.

OK, I am not a huge car geek so forgive me. I imagine a huge car axle with the brake discs on both sides and the transfer case in the middle. Am i getting the WHOLE AXLE? What exactly do I ask for? Is the junk yard the best place to get it? I heard people pay like $5 for them, is that true?

13. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Just tell the person incharge of the junk yard, you want a used axle to contain your dog, they will know what your talking bout, and i got mine for $5 bucks. Good luck.

Ps. if you dont have a secure fencing around your property, then more reason to get a proper chain set up, without one , most pitbulls will run off with a blink of an eye lol.

14. Marty

Marty Guest

There out of a rear axle car and thats what you want the rear axle out of it ;)

15. Attila

Attila Guest

your actually using the axle shafts. there are two per axle. you remove the bolts and knock them out of the axle housing then put your O ring on there and drive that sucker into the dirt. you need a BFH.

16. Like your new sig line Attila!

GAowner, I am glad to hear that you are wanting to go ahead and get the axle....It surely doesn't hurt, and is still very cheap!