1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

set me straight please.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shiner51506, Dec 12, 2007.

1. So I just joined this forum thinking that it would be a good place to get answers to questions about my girl Ruca. I started out reading things on health and such which lead me to believe this was a pit bull LOVERS forum, not a pit bull fighting supporter forum... but after reading some responses to the michael vick thing I am not so sure. MAybe someone can set me straight!!!

2. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

If you are in doubt...look at the top of the page...after the words... "Pit Bull Community..."

I don't see the words "pit bull fighting supporter forum"...do you?

I appreciate your POOR judgement!

Oh yea, welcome to the site...:rolleyes:

3. Michele

Michele Guest

I've been a member here for quite some time and this forum does not promote dog fighting in any way, shape or form. As far as the Michael Vick thread, people have different views on it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pit Bull Community is dedicated to the preservation of the pit bull in its original form as a game-bred dog and in its modern incarnations as a loving companion pet and top competitor in weight pull competitions and conformation shows. We are opposed to all forms of animal cruelty, and do not promote any illegal activities, but we celebrate the history of the pit bull and value its qualities of courage, strength and tenacity as the essence of the breed. We are therefore against all forms of breed-specific legislation, and work to protect the constitutional rights of pit bull owners.

4. BullDozer

BullDozer Top Dog

Shiner - it is not a club based on supporting pit bull fighting. In my opinion it is our responsibility to explore and discuss ALL the aspects of our breed and what makes them great as well as supporting those who are pit bull enthusiasts. To create a positive image for the breed through information, it is our responsibility to open our minds to different issues, all the while realizing the skewed playing field which we may hear or read about these issues, and to interpret what we see and hear in order to provide the best defense for our breeds FUTURE!

hope that helps :)

5. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Shiner some us have different views about the whole MV thing. But we all agree that what is did was wrong and has given our breed a black eye. My differences is that I dont believe alot that was written in the indictment. Now this site is dedicated to the History of the breed and we do celebrate the Great Champions of yesteryear that have made this breed great. This site is not for everybody.

6. As a matter of fact that is the FIRST thing I read. but there is a lot of talk about "culling" on some threads and how dogs are just property. Maybe since I have never heard the term "cull" before I am miss interpreting it.
    But nonetheless good to hear it is not.

7. Michele

Michele Guest

If you stick around and read, you will find that this breed's history is fascinating and that is why you have the dog that you have today.

Some members here have working dogs. They are much different in the way they are raised then a house dog is. I don't even own an apbt but I love this forum and it's history.

8. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Dogs are property, that doesn't mean we don't love our dogs. Property isn't always a negative term. You care about your property, right? They just aren't human, and you are its owner. Humans should come before an animal.

9. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

What Cull means to me is to do away with the bad ones! Man biters, curs, weak sick dogs with bad genes! You want healthy dogs and anything less is just what it is, a Cull. This site has a lot of good info and real life stories as well but don't shake your tail feather to hard until you know what is really going on here. Welcome, Slick

10. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

That's right Jennie they are dogs! Not people...

11. No, no, dont get me wrong humans should always come before an animal. The instances i was refering to were where people seemed to be saying the dog is their property and they should be able to take it out back and shoot it if they want, and for no other reason than the dog being their "property."

12. first of all dogs are property. you own them...i own them....other members here own them....hence the word property. they cannot make legal decisions, vote, or sue you. they are not people. they are dogs.

i can't find it right off maybe somebody can provide the link to the forum glossary for you so you can see the definition of the words you don't understand.

13. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

In theory, yes, we "should" be ABLE to do that as a dog is property. But would we?

In actuality, I can't see one member of this site ever recommending such a thing for no reason other than the dog being property. We certainly wouldn't condone such an act if it's for no good reason!

Now what makes for such interesting debates about it is the many different views there are among people as to what a "good reason" to shoot/euthanize a dog would be. ;)

14. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Yep, if you want to/have to take your dog out of this world for whatever reason, it should be your right to do so, in a humane order. I don't think you should be allowed to torture your dog to death, but a swift death should be allowed. I luckily never had to, but if one of my dogs ever bite someone, it would be lights out.

Very true!

15. Mr.Billfold

Mr.Billfold Big Dog

Shiner, first off, how did you come to own your dog, and are you familiar with the American Pit Bull Terrier?

Really, I hate assuming things about people, so please, a little more info about you and your Ruca.

The real APBT has been bred for its best traits, and weak/bad dogs are not worth feeding.
    THese are not dogs bred for looks only. Those are American Staffordshire Terriers. Or Some UKC bulldogs.

Culling is a sign of proper care and attention to what kind of animals you are producing, if thats what you do.

Look at some of these inbred whacked out great danes and rottweilers out here.

Looks, not health, and function, are not a worthy trait to breed these APBTs by.

Lack of human aggression (reffered by many as HA) is a foremost trait of the APBT that I am proud of.

16. If my dog ever bit anyone I'd take her out back myself, but that would be a reason, however i think there are much better ways to get rid of your dog just cuz you are bored with them than to off them especially if you call yourself a lover of any breed.

17. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I agree. I personally would never off my dog, just because it was a slow day. But as horrible as it may sound, many times I wish people did just take care of their own "business", instead of throw it into the hands of a shelter.

18. I am familiar enough with the breed and have no problems with the history of the breed as fighters, but wish to keep the breed legal to own, and people who continue to breed and train dogs to fight are the reason they get such a bad rap. As for my dog she was adopted from a shelter, and is most likely not pure bred but we will never know with what. And the lack of HA, and the look of the breed is why we chose it.

19. again I agree, throwing every bad apple at the shelters to deal with is over-crowding them with APBT and mixes that sit there unadoped till they are killed anyway which in my oppinion also reflects badly on the breed, making them apear unadoptable

20. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

As much as I agree, that if you live in the US, you shouldn't be fighting dogs, because it's illegal. I disagree that dogs that are breed (you don't train a dog to fight) to fight are the problem. People who breed human aggressive dogs are more to blame. A gamebred APBT is less likely to attack the kid down the road, then an American Bully (for example). Why? Because a gamebred APBT was bred to be Dog Aggressive (DA), not Human Aggressive (HA). Dogmen of the past could fight their dogs in the pit one night, and have it play with their children the next, without problems. HA APBT were culled, and never bred. A gamebred APBT could be in dog fight with your neighbor's dog, and you are more likely to get bite by the neighbor's dog trying to break them up, then the gamebred APBT...
    Now the Wanna-be Dogmen who do believe an APBT has to be trained to fight are a big reason this breed is in such trouble. I would agree with that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007