1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

FL: Service Animal Thrown Out Of Hospital

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Amanda Figueroa says she's had her pit bull medical service dog Sir Doogan for nearly two years and had never had an issue taking him to public venues.

But two weeks ago, she says she had been visiting a friend at Capital Regional Medical Center for several hours when she was confronted by an administrator and then security guards who told her Doogan posed a safety risk.

"He finally told me that if we didn't leave, he was going to call the cops and have me arrested for trespassing," said Figueroa.

A statement from the hospital says, "At Capital Regional Medical Center, our first priority is for the safety and well-being of our patients. We have policies in place for the safety of not only our patients, but visitors and staff as well."

However Florida law states a service dog must be admitted to public venues like hospitals to help people who are blind, deaf, have balance issues or perform other tasks.

It also says fear of animals is not a valid reason for denying access.

Denial is a second degree misdemeanor.

State Attorney Willie Meggs reviewed the case and decided not to prosecute.

"I don't see how having a pit bull running loose with you qualifies as a service dog," stated Meggs.

Federal Americans with Disability law also states service dogs can't be denied access to public venues.

It also says you can only ask a person if it's a service dog and what is its task.

"Well some moron in Congress probably wrote that law," said Meggs.

Hospital administrators met with Figueroa, but she's not satisfied.

"I would like for them to have some kind of repercussion, they have yet to apologize," said Figueroa.

[​IMG]

Service Animal Thrown Out Of Hospital By: Andy Alcock
    Updated: Tue 8:32 PM, Jan 28, 2014

Service Animal Thrown Out Of Hospital

2. david63

david63 CH Dog

Get a lawyer.

3. david63

david63 CH Dog

Sued the hospital. Personally sued the Administrator I bet they change the rules then.

4. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

BullyPedia|The American Bully Online Pedigree Database

Seems like she got discriminated against due to the breed but before she press charges she'll need to get some medical proof of her needing a service dog for a legit case. Just because you certify your dog doesn't mean you can just take it anywhere you want. I guess we'll see if she press charges.

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Posed a safety risk because he was a Pitbull??? Its like saying that dude poses a threat because he is Mexican or Black LMAO

If anyone is going pose a safety risk it would be a HUMAN and not a service dog LMAO.