1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

SELLING cur or cold dogs...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by LuvMyBulldogs, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvMyBulldogs

LuvMyBulldogs Big Dog

There have been good debates on breeding these types, what are your opinions on knowingly selling a cold or cur dog?? IMO, people that do this also make it bad on the breed. I know of a man that bought a cur unknowingly and he justifies breeding the dog b saying he's bred such and such, let's see what I can get off'em....then he turned around and sells all the pups to "get his money back" that he spent on the POS. When I get where I'm trying to go, I personally would not sell or breed a old or cur no matter what the dog's parents, siblings are doing. Reason being, if u can find that out, then u should breed to or get something off one of them.....Any opinions???

2. box boy

box boy Pup

im kinda in the middle cause there has been to many curs an or cold dogs throw great dogs that are fire

3. LuvMyBulldogs

LuvMyBulldogs Big Dog

BTW, I know cold and curs throw bulldogs to blah blah blah. I'm just saying I wouldn't be the one to find out, and in my breeding practices, those dogs would be eliminated from my gene pool.

4. box boy

box boy Pup

lol i fell the same way thats y i meet u in the middle

5. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

nobody forces anyone to buy a dog from them. anyone that ever sold dogs has sold a cur.dogs of rank been sold & cur next time out. so it's up to the buyer to do there own research on a investment. we all want first class dogs but we get cold & curs as well. it's all charged to the game.

6. akcbr954

akcbr954 Big Dog

it never ok 2 sell a cur. never. u can sell a cold dog as long as u tell the buyer its cold......but most important: u should never ever breed either one!!!(unless ur in it 4 the money)

7. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

i guess if the breeder is honest in letting people know the dog is a cur or cold,n the person still wants it then i guess its up to the person buyn the dog.culd be used in sumbodys hunting yard,or a first time owner of these dogs.u dnt wanna give ur 15-16 yr old a hot bulldog to learn how to care fr these dogs..but to lie about it n sell em...HELL NO

8. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

This is actually a fallacy. Whenever this subject comes up, people use a few famous exceptions to the rule to prove a point. Sure a few notorious curs produced well. But, for every famous cur that produced well, there a litterally thousands who do not. Good producing dogs are rare even when the dogs themselves are good. If the dog is either a cur or cold the odds of it being a good producer are astronomically bad. It is faulty logic to use one or two isolated examples and extrapolate from there. One must look at a broad spectrum of the population in order to determine what is statistically likely. The reason it is hard to come to the correct conclusion in this instance is because people always talk about the curs that produced, where as you never hear about the ones who do not. The truth is, that the best performing dogs are much more likely to be good producers than the rest of the population. More often than not curs and cold dogs produce more curs and cold dogs.

Oh and as far as the OP goes: Anyone who knowingly sells curs or cold dogs is doing a disservice to the breed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  9. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Good post Benthere

10. box boy

box boy Pup

yes u are rite but there has been more than 1 or 2 i learned that from the famous curs fourm!!

11. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I have a problem missrepresenting culls and selling them as something they are not. If someone is upfront about it then its the buyer's money, he/she can do what they please.

12. How much does 45 lbs. of fertilizer go for these days anyway?

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

shit, gringo, the sky's the limit. $700+

14. metalslug

metalslug Pup

I dont feel that way about cold dogs. Cold dogs just stand there and wag tails and never show a bad sign or yelp. They just take it and never start. TO me as long as they are bred from proven stock you can take a few chances on that breeding. BUt once a dog starts, then curs.well than that's it right there.

15. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I have only bred 2 cold dogs in 20 years. One became a POR and kicked on at the age of 5. She ended up winning a couple awards. The other just had his first litter. So we will see what happens to him.

16. Mako

Mako Pup

I've personally seen a cold dog who's offspring were all game. There's too Many factors involved to predict what your going to end up with. It's a crapshoot. Sometimes all it takes is breeding it to the right partner to unlock desirable traits.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  17. Mako

Mako Pup

Could you enlighten us on how to tell which 8-10wk old puppies in the litter are curs? I've seen the dominant, rowdiest puppies turn out cold, & the shy, sweet, timid ones turn out to be firecrackers. So damned if I can tell when looking at pups...

18. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

LIke box boy said, there are too many cold dogs that have become rom/por i wouldnt say no. but if it was a shit producer then goodbye, no reason to be feeding it.

19. LuvMyBulldogs

LuvMyBulldogs Big Dog

I would never knowingly buy a cur no matter how its bred or the price. To me, it just seems like the %'s would be entirely too low. I feel like people use the "its a crapshoot" thing to justify breeding sub par dogs. And I'm speaking from my personal pespective; to each his own but in order to achieve my ultimate goal I wouldn't have a need at all for them. I wouldn't try to find pet homes or nothing of the such...to many irresponsible owners. I would cull humanely.

20. LuvMyBulldogs

LuvMyBulldogs Big Dog

And I'm speaking from personal experience. I've spent good money, hard earned money on POS, and I ran into the SOB who sold'em to me. There is no way anybody that knows a good bulldog would see any of those qualities in the crap I was sold...but you learn from that and move on....things are better now. I offered to show him what a real bulldog looked like....so we'll see how it goes. Its deceitful, greedy, and bad for the breed as a whole. Now if I wasn't as disciplined as I am I could've been like the masses and bred'em cause its a crapshoot. I don't have the space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.