1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal keeps...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 21 dre, Nov 2, 2012.

1. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Basically, if you live in the colder climate areas, how much does your routine change from what you do in the summer months as oppose to the winter months to get one in shape to race?

2. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Keep a closer eye on weight.

3. determination

determination Big Dog

You can work a dog longer harder in the cold without the dog getting hot. Dogs seem to want to work more ,and have more energy.But watch the paws.

4. kalenhcc

kalenhcc Big Dog

The colder months are the best time to work a dog in my opinion.

5. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Why? Just interested in your reasoning.

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

u wanna work the dog in a climate that replicates that of the show........ if the show is at 8 pm, outdoors in alaska.... then you better work that dog in a freezer! lol if its at noon in FLA in JUL....work em in a sauna!!! LMAO

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i think summer may be funner just because you can incorperate swimming.....

8. Furious_Ford

Furious_Ford Big Dog

I agree with you there as I like to incorporate swimming myself!

9. in colder time you won't overheat your dog so easy, because outside temperature is lower the dog body cooling down faster, so he can work longer and harder, everything's depend from excercises program which your dog doind, thats my opinion.

10. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

summer isnt fun, working in the heat sucks a dick. like someone said you can defintely work harder, longer with it being cooler but my keep doesnt change much aside from that.

11. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Naus, check you inbox.

12. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yeah but out here in cali naus it doesnt get too humid, we got that dry heat! but i feel ya if you got them humid summers like the southeast.......

13. determination

determination Big Dog

Its better to go from hot to cold than cold to hot. Its better to go from high to low than low to high elevation wise.

14. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Time of year in my opinion doesn't matter too much as far as type of exercises we do. Winter is good because the dogs breath better, but it's much easier to pull muscles and get work related injuries due to the cold. The main focus with the keep in the winter is hydration and rest, more so than the work. Hydration is key period, but in the winter is more important because the dogs body works harder to maintain weight & warmth. (lactic acid build up, muscle tare & shivering) happen more frequent in the winter in my opinion, and can alter the weight of a dog. I like summer hunts because you can't make as many mistakes in the keep and get away with it. Need more precision in the keep during the summer, JMO.

15. kalenhcc

kalenhcc Big Dog

Because you can work longer and harder without the dog overheating or getting fatigued as fast.

16. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Many good points!!

17. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

fall is the easiest if you ask me. sucks working in Abbey extreme temperature either hot or cold

18. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

the same amount of work can be done in the winter and the summer...just the winter sessions can be longer in duration and little more close to back to back sets....the work still has to be done in the warmer months but each day may take longer because the heat will require more frequent recovery stints...
    no scientific data here...no double blind studies either...but i believe it is because of the air density...on a race car the engine can be fine tuned down to carburetor jet size and those jet sizes must be increased in the cooler temperatures...air is more dense in cooler temperatures and the air intake is larger in the cooler temperatures than the warmer temperatures...so the engine needs more fuel to match the larger intake of air....so i believe it works the same for the dogs....the same breath will be more dense...therefore more oxygen per breath....more oxygen in the blood means more work....sort of out there...US1

19. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Pretty deep slim!! I see you working though.

20. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

It's actually backwards, lungs contract when breathing cold air. Allowing for less air and oxygen to be utilized by the lungs, in warmer months you actually breath about 10%-12% better. Winter workouts typically have a lower circulation rate than workouts in the spring/summer because of the contraction of muscles, arteries, skin, etc... In fact that is why people who show signs of fatigue during cold months are put on oxygen and in the warmer months the same fatigued person would be given water or some type of electrolyte replacement. JMO