1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

sdj

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by TIP, Nov 16, 2011.

1. TIP

TIP Pup

Does the sporting dog journal still get published?,if so how can i subscribe?
    Also does anyone have the november 2010 issue for sale?

2. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

I purchased a recent on-line copy just to see what it was about as it gave reference to a program from the 60's and 70's that I am very familiar with...and unfortunately, the new report was VERY MUCH full of nonsense. It lacked references (historical references) and denied comments to historical views about that program...including those supported by documented history and including personal comments that had been made about the program by Jack Kelly himself. I brought this to the attention of the publication and requested a refund after pointing out there errors unless they were willing to print a retraction. I received no refund. I will never be purchasing another copy of the SDJ as a result. Bad management. Anyone can make a mistake or print something that is incorrect...but the poor management to correct of such is unacceptable. If it survived that printing...and is still around today, I don't think it will be here much longer.

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

4. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

Poor management? Chimera, don't be ridiculous! I won't issue a a refund just because you don't like a specific article! First of all I'd like you to know that I don't have nothing against You, Dr.Swinford or Bandogs in general. Like I said before, I’m definitely not an authority on the subject and I'm far from wanting to start a debate but to be honest I don't understand what are you trying to prove! Bandogs are supposed to be game? Anyway, if you have something to share, here’s your chance! Finally, here is a quote by JK himself: "Dr.Swinford had high hopes that he’ll produce a giant dog that was reasonably game. They sure were big, but they were not game."

By the way, the mag survived :) Thank you for your interest and good luck!

LC

5. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

How are the Bandogs as gaurd dogs? I have a mutt right now but he is 7 yrs old so just starting to think ahead.

6. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

bandogs are gamedogs but not in the sense of the box. bamaman they can be great protection dogs. just do the research and don't buy a bandogs with (blue shit or bully shit crossed into it). www.chimerakennels.com is a good source of info.

7. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

Yes. A well managed journal would require a degree of accuracy in its content and also use references when possible. You did neither.

You used the article to promote your issue and yet your article was composed entirely of speculation and hearsay...things that we know are a dime a dozen in the dog world. A journal that is promoted by using an article should be sure to get quality references. You should have used correct information, sited references, or AT LEAST used Jack Kelly's pwn personal comments. That isn't what you did. If you didn't have sources, you shouldn't have printed the article. Heck, you even ignored Jack Kelly's own comments on the dogs and therefore should either post a retraction or offer a refund to those that purchased the issue.

You did none of this...so, yes...the SDJ isn't a reputable source anymore.

8. gar

gar Banned

MOST OF THESE MAGS ,THE SDJ INCLUDED ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN AS THE GOSPEL TRUTH ON ANYTHING , AS THEY RELAY ON THE CONTENT FROM PEOPLE SENDING IN THIER STORYS , AND NEWS ITEMS REGARDING RECENT WINS AND LOSSES ETC , AND NOT EVERYTHING IS TRUE.I DID NOTICE THAT A CERTAIN CADDILAC KENNELS IS CLAIMING TO HAVE DOGS BRED DOWN FROM MAYFIELDS BRASKIN TO MAYFIELDS CAJUN , VIA A CERTAIN DRAGON KENNELS IN EUROPE , BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT THESE DOGS ARE FALSELY PAPERED DOGS , AND AS SUCH ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW THESE MAGS HAVE A DIIFICULT TIME IN KNOWNING WHATS TRUE AND WHATS BULLSHIT , BUT AS FOR CADDILAC KENNELS WELL YOUVE BEEN WARNED SO ITS UPTO YOU .BY THE WAY IF YOUR WONDERING HOW I KNOW , LETS SAY THAT THEV GUY WHO CLAIMS TO HAVE THESE DGOS BRED LIKE THAT ,CANT EVEN REMMEBER HIS OWN LIES , AND I KNOW ALL THE DOGS FROM THAT FAMILY ,AND BRASKIN WAS NEVER BRED TO MAYFIELDS CAJUN , SHE DOESNT EXIST AND DRAGON KENNELS (AS THERE WAS NO DRAGON KENNELS THAT EVERY GOT DOGS FROM DON OR KEYSTONE OR ROD ,AND THE CAJUN FEMALE WWAS SUPOSED TO BE OUT OF WILLIAMS BRED DOGS OUT OF TUDORS SPIKE.BRASKIN WAS BORN IN 1987 AND DIED IN 1999.JUST ON THE DATES ALONE ITS WRONG , AND LOOK AT THE DATESTHAT ALL THE DOGS (CAJUN /WILLAMS CAFINE /WILLAMSRED TUDOR /AND THE DRAGONS KENNELS OFFSPRING MAMBA /BITE /TAIPAN WERE ALL POSTED WITH 3 DAYS OF EACH OTHER IN 2003 ) CAJUN /CAFINE/AND RED TUDOR ALSO SHOW NO SIBBLINGS OR OFFSPRING OTHER THAN CAJUN ,AND SHE SHOWS THE DRAGON KENNSL DOGS AND NO OTHERS .These dogs do not exist bred like this ,if mr mm wants to prove different THEN IM READY TO SHOW HIM AND HIS THEN PARTNER MR A D WERE THE TRUTH IS .http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=65723

9. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

That's right, you don't have to take everything as gospel! It's just a magazine, nothing more but I won't issue a a refund just because you don't like a specific article! Chimera, I didn't wanted to ruffle your feathers and like I told you before, I would be more than happy to publish your side of the story. By the way, belive me, I'm aware of Jack's opinion on the subject...

10. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

As for Caddillac Kennels...advertisers are solely responsible for their products and publication of any advertisement in no way implies my endorsement of any product including dogs or puppies. By the way, I personally make no claims nor guarantees that any material contained in the mag is factual :)

11. gar

gar Banned

thats my point you dont know if any
    thing sent in is true or not , even the win and loss section , as we all know that some of those are just bs results sent in by peole wanting to sell pups or stud their ch dog out etc.as for cadillac knls or pba kennels who claimed the breedings i talked about in my last post , well thats just the type of peddling bs dealers you should know about and put a stop to them advertising their dogs , as you may not know its bs but i and many others do , and if you dont give a shit then how can anything you print be reliable if you cant even be bothered to check it out , its not hard .

12. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

Who said I don't give a shit? I do the best I can and check facts, belive me, I wouldn't knowingly publish something false...

13. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

You know, you'd think that if everybody is so damn sick of the SDJ, they'd actually do something about it. I suggest you join forces and form the I Hate The SDJ And It's Editor Club :) or even better, maybe y'all should try your hand at publishing. Hey, it's a free world, knock yourself out! :) Good luck!

14. gar

gar Banned

hey dont get me wrong i dont hate the sdj , i just feel that if i am bringing to your attention an advertiser who is knowingly papering peds , and we all know were that leads us , then you should either make a point of not running their ads , and do a little homework on them .the peds hes posted for his dogs are so false even a blind man can see it , and he cant prove their true , and we are talking historical blood not just any old outcrossed tena penny bloodline , hes trying to decive the newcomers and people who dont know about that blood .

15. gar

gar Banned

By the way ,we used to know who stood behind the mags , like jack when he had it , and fat bill with his magazine etc going all the way back to the early mags , so why do you hide your identity as the publisher , i mean you have your disclaimer on the contents .

16. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

You say you know Jack Kelly's opinion, but you hide your identity...so there is no way to verify that claim. You say you won't publish anything you know is wrong, but then didn't realize your publication was in DIRECT CONFLICT with Jack Kelly's own words about the Swinford program back when he printed. Are you suggesting that he didn't mean what HE HIMSELF wrote as his opinion back when the content was fresh. Did Jack ever tell you about the time he got on top of a refrigerator when he wanted to get away from a Swinford dog that was trained in protection work?

The fact is you used a title to sell your "journal" but then the content had NO FACTUAL content in it, denied reliable printed information by the original owner of the journal, and when this was brought to your attention, you didn't care.

Bottom line...I will never purchase a journal again and will speak against it openly as you simply didn't care enough to look for reliable references. If your not an expert on the topic as you said, why write about it? If you do write about it use verified materials. If the contents aren't going to be verified, then bother?

17. homer39

homer39 Banned

i havent got a sdj in years but i can tell you one thing jack kelly published plenty of bs two that comes mind is b lines ch cowboy and the baileys gr ch rambo, if barney fife didnt start asking questions about cowboy jack kelly would still have been running adds

18. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

Homer,

Everyone makes mistakes...but the question is what do they do about it ONCE THEY FIND OUT? It sounds like Mr. Kelly fixed the problem once he found out.

19. homer39

homer39 Banned

thats a fair point lee, but the damage was already done id bet wildside would never have bought cowboy if it had come out sooner,all i was doing was pointing out a few things from the old sdj

20. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I didn't even know that SDJ published articles on bandogs, I thought it was a gamedog magazine.