1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Schutzhund Training

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by ultimatek9, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Boom's newest activity is schutzhund. He loves it and is doing awesome. He has his first Iron Dog competition in a few weeks.
    I thought I would share some video from his 6th training session, the other evening.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cb4gTl_28Fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

[video=youtube_share;Cb4gTl_28Fs]http://youtu.be/Cb4gTl_28Fs[/video]

3. I can't see the videos. Post them on Youtube and then post the links. I'd like to see. I used to do schutzhund years ago with dobe's then gsd's. We have mostly pit bulls now but only do obedience anymore, still with my same long time trainer. Anyway, just letting you know your video post doesn't work.

4. gunman2376

gunman2376 Big Dog

5. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

Good boy boom .....always wanted to do this with my bandog but he's a bit to fired up he really wants the man so it's hard work finding some one to work with

U can tell he loves it !!!

6. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice video. Good looking energetic dog. I haven't did this type of work with a dog in twenty years or so. I had a Sch 1 Rottweiler I kinda inherited as I got out of the service. He was way more dog than I had experience for but with a lot of help he did wonders. I am a huge fan of any dog that is working, and any person that works a dog.

Great job. Great video. S

7. Do you guys use German commands? I still use them for obedience.

8. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Thanks gunman. For some reason it didn't like my link :(
    Most of us use German commands. I have always used German or French commands for obedience, so the dogs are desensitized to the commands through everyday life.
    Boom will be competing in an Iron Dog competition next month.
    He will be going for his...
    DHT - Defense of Handler Temperament
    GDT - Guard Dog Temperament
    IDT3 - Irondog Triathlon
    IDT5 - Irondog Pentathlon
    IDOB1 - Irondog Obedience Phase 1
    IDOB2 - Irondog Obedience Phase 2
    IDOB3 - Irondog Obedience Phase 3
    IDTT - Irondog Temperament Test
    and possibly IDP1 - Irondog Protection Phase 1
    He has already earned his IDWP1, IDWP2, and IDWP3 titles in Iron Dog Weight Pull.
    Boom absolutely loves to work, and his daughter (Zoom - 11wks) is already following in his foot steps.

9. dmack102

dmack102 Big Dog

Wtf schutzhund

10. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

It's a dog sport.

11. who

who Top Dog

Any dog trained to bite people is a weapon, WHERE's MY PISTOL!!!

12. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Good luck with that!
    Schutzhund doesn't train dogs to bite people. It works with a dog's prey drive, teaches control and proper grip on equipment. It is no different that playing tug or having a dog hang off of a spring pole...except that a properly trained schutzhund dog will release and only grip when you tell them to.

13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ultimatek9 got ass for days!..... lol

14. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Good boy Boom. Think he will adjust to the sleeve well?

I've never been a huge fan of Schutzhund/IPO. Much more interested in Mondio or French ring. :)

15. smithy

smithy Big Dog

I don't think it's such a good idea all the public will see is a big terrible staff trying to bite somone and schutzund is teaching how and were to bite a human.it was originally a German shepherd temperament test wasn't it?

16. -Me-

-Me- Pup

Nice SBT at work!

17. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

It's just a game of tug tell u wat there wouldn't be a bad image of the breed if half the owners put the time and effort in training there dogs to this level training

18. BmSBT

BmSBT Big Dog

this ^

ive never seen Boom in the flesh but judging by his owners dedication, hes the last staffy id be worried about biting someone.

19. back2basics

back2basics Big Dog

Boom is a kick ass dog, congrats

20. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Thanks for the compliments! Boom is all heart, and puts his all into every sport he is involved in. Fortunately, he passed his drive, intelligence, focus, and work ethic on to his pups. Zoom, my keeper pup, is turning out to be so much like him. She is just a little crazier, if that is possible :)