1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

SBT and other BT breeds vs wild predators and animals

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Preben W, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i thought that might be a KBD but wasnt for sure, i dont think you see many of em here in the states.(at least i havent)
    interesting breed, the fellas that i know in the Scandanavian region SWEAR by them and their hunting ability and them guys dont mess around. year round hunters.

2. blanch

blanch Big Dog

Really?

wouldn't have thought those sorts of dogs would catch a coyote in the open,or do the coyotes not run from just 1 or 2 smallish dogs?

not really the same but before the ban my staff caught a few foxes in deep cover,but in the open he never got anywhere near.

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

the trick is to have the wind in your face and call em in close, then release a dog, a fit bulldog can and will run a coyote down.

4. blanch

blanch Big Dog

I take it they don't go to ground?

sounds like fun if you had the right land for it.

5. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

they will try to find a place to dig in and fight but that has never worked out for any coyote ive ever seen. they have no mouth and a good dog will walk right into that mouth and end the fight quick.
    im in the midwest and we have nothing but flat land and a huge coyote population. around here youre a bit "queer" if you dont hunt LOL

6. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

yeah I got in good with a few fellas and they pointed me to the breed for the same reason.. Year round hunting ;) Always something in season and that KBD can use the finess to do it all from birds to bear.. Her and my bulldog have learned alot from each other. She is my lead dog. My best bulldog ever was raised by a laika of deep working strain.. Very intelligent and one of the few dogs that CAN survive the wild and most extreme conditions.

Your right, one on one, these bulldogs run em down.. I do the same call em in while I sit up wind and release the hound. I also let the bulldog(s) out when they ban up and come through. I can easily teach to dogs that hate each other to work side by side when that happens. Then they love the hunt. Most of year and especially the winter I harvest and feed all game the dogs kill to the dogs. I avoid that in late june to september. Now if they ban up be prepared.. I had a guy who had a dog from me down near plano, tx protecting his acreage and the surrounding ranch owners land. Killed over 100 coyotes and his last night alive he killed over 20 before he fell from being disembowled and when the ranchers and owner found him he was tryin to get to a yote that was as mortally wounded as he was... they had to put him down, had 14ft of intestines hanging out the back.. SO.. COVER THAT TAINT with a cotton ball and duct tape :) He went to GH and got another coyote killing stock dog. When I told GH about this, he laughed and said he heard of that Hooch bulldog. .. I like the SBT and mexican bred BT and I do feel that coyotes are a prime candidate to keep them in working shape. Like you said the yotes will try to dig in and fight and in those cases when a female is taunting a male out or vise verse there are at least 3 more waiting to jump and eat the dog. While the dogs fighting the coyotes will disembowl the dogs. They are a form of jackal after all.. Turk is voice controlled he knows break it, drop it, and a few other commands. ,, .. .. SBT should be able to do everything I witness my small dogs do.. Dont know how they'd handle a large ban of yotes so be careful with that. However I'd sic em on a tease dog as long as I was ready to be outside with the dog, the smallest distractions on my part cause enough time for Turk to cripple or kill quickly and grab another.. .. So it really can be a good sport as in most states coyotes are vermin and only need a hunting license.

7. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

im yet to have a dog gutted, but i have had them lead into bad situations before. lucky for them im pretty handy with a .223

8. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

GOOD point.... for similar reasons the dogs I own and use haven't either... If I have a gun on me its my .22 and I've made ear shots before ;) to knock the numbers down and run a few off so my dog could handle the 2 or 3.. I like my dog to do most of the work.. My big dog Hooch was like a hot knife through butter; burn through them yotes and feral pack dogs on a cattle ranch like it was no thing. When I first used Turk I used the duct tape adn let him go in the dark of the night, I just let him go now, and catch up directly.. He likes to eat them yotes. How big are your dogs LeeD? Your the first person I've ran across that is truly experienced in hunting coyotes with catchdogs.

9. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

Riot, mid 30s conditioned...

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

and Ladybug mid 40s...last winter was her first time out and she worked real well with Riot (a first time using 2 APBTs together for me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

Damn nice dogs! Riot looks like a mouth on wheels.. Hahaha.. I sure like that ladybug dog you got! Thanks for sharing!

11. Sherman

Sherman Big Dog

Nice dogs Lee

12. Kimo615

Kimo615 Banned

If that baboon wanted to end it for that hound he could. That's crazy someone would put a dog on a baboon anyway.