1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

SBT and other BT breeds vs wild predators and animals

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Preben W, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Preben W

Preben W Pup

HI :)

I think we should have a thread with accounts of SBT and other bull and terrier breeds, hunting/comparing/killing/fighting off/meeting wild animals, and also any important information. Ofcourse without breaking the rules on this forum.

I can start with the skull of a SBT compared to a coyote. Bite force comes from powerful neck muscles, and the wider the head is, the harder the bite ( not always ), but almost always true in functional animals. From these pictures you can see how much wider and more impressive the sbt's skulls are compared to the coyotes, and it is also much heavier and the bone thicker. It's canines is almost as large, even though coyotes have very long canines for their size. This suggests that the sbt would have a much more powerful bite than a similarly sized coyote.

[​IMG]

Here is also a comparison of a honey badger and the same coyote skull, showing how small skull the honey badger really has. Both to the far left.

[​IMG]

And a size comparison of honey badger and a male sbt ( 40cm at the withers ).

[​IMG]

Staffies hunting fox.

Hunting Fox With Staffordshire Bull Terriers -The Hunting Life

Stafford saves childrens from a Tiger snake (4 most venomous land snake)

Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Zena the warrior dog

Jock of the Bushveld: A true story about a SBT in South Africa in the end of the 19th century. He actually fought a male baboon.
    Jock of the Bushveld Movie - InfoBarrel
    Jock of the Bushveld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bull breeds and baboons
    Two idiot teens send their sbt and apbt on a old male baboon to maul him, sad to hear about such animal cruelty, both against the dogs and the baboon.

Mauling of Baboon by , Reopens the Cape Peninsular Baboon Debate

Sbt or apbt and baboons

[video=youtube;ZIM0lhAgDC8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM0lhAgDC8[/video]

SBT wild boar hunting, holding boar

Miniature EBT hunting coons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

its good to see these dogs work.

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

why in the hell would folks dump a dog on a baboon? "idiots" is being nice imo....fucking morons who dont need to have a dog

4. KawValley

KawValley Pup

Those are pics of my dog you say is a miniature ebt. She is in fact a jack russell X english bull terrier. She has taken well over 50 coons solo in the last. Couple years. The ability to "fight" a wild animal is relatively low on the hunting dog priority list. The ability to locate, for example, is far more important than jaw pressure, etc lol. You could have the coon killingest dog of all time, but who cares if it never found one... Since you posted the only two bloody pics of my dog that I'm aware of, I'll attempt to make up for it with this pic of the same dog.

[​IMG]

GermanGamedogHunter likes this.
  5. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

those are some great pics of your dog Kaw, ive never seen a mix like that but i sure as hell would feed that bitch....coons dont mess around.

6. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

perfect example of people talking about dogs they dont know. by the way kaw that baby or yours is adorable bud and she's smiled at me couple of two or three times, d could be like jesus for the bts in america working wise, and boy does she look pretty when she's working

7. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Coyotes are no match for a APBT and I'm sure not a SBT either. I have no doubt a SBT can bite harder than a coyote and while I understand what you're trying to say about skull size etc, I have seen dogs with similarly shaped and sized heads and sometimes one would be a much harder biter than the other. Some dogs bite hard because they want to.

I agree,that was really stupid.

Nice pic.

That's a mix that actually don't look bad,I'd be happy to have a dog like that

8. mine has tried on many occasions to battle swans but I must admit I stop him. they're protected by the queen and all! and he loves chasing cats but never had the chance (if that's the right word) to see him fully take on anything

9. Sorry to go off topic but I love venomous snakes (my favorite animals) and this is just not true.....I believe the Tiger snake is number 6 most drop for drop venomous to mice and in the 10-15 range for humans. Not number 4 most venomous for either humans or mice.

Have no idea what it would be to dogs but I doubt the Tiger would be top 10....I remember reading a study where they injected cobra and tiger snake venom into dogs and the cobra was more lethal.

Here it is

"In Dr. Halford's experiments at the University of Melbourne, of 31 dogs bitten by active Tiger Snakes, 27 died and 4 recovered; the deaths occurring, on the average, in 2 hours 2 minutes. Deputy-Inspector-General MacBeth, causing 29 dogs to be bitten by Cobras found they all died, on the average, in 2 hours 42 minutes, showing that, contrary to the expressed opinion of many Indian practitioners, the Australian Tiger Snake is more rapidly fatal than that of the Cobra. Dr. McCrae, the Chief Medical Officer of Victoria, caused 14 dogs to be bitten by this species of snake, and none recovered. No remedies were used in any of these three sets of cases"

Caught and Coloured: A Dog's Life

10. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

I hope the word doesn't get out about these jrt x ebt can u imagine what the name would be? A jackabull terrier? Lmao.

11. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

it they are created for work they could call it jackie chan if they so wish

12. pockets

pockets Big Dog

english bull added to terrier has been around for years hada real hard ebtxpat to hard for earth work

13. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

Never seen an ebt cross with terrier people allways use sbt but then again there's very few athletic ebts here

14. Torresbeag

Torresbeag Big Dog

In Ireland the EBT was crossed into Jack Russell lines to increase size and drive. SBT crosses were seen as a lot slower to start and stay going.

15. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

mini catch dogs in action! ... as it should be.. funtion.. purpose.. work..

I use my 35-37lbs bulldog whos pretty laid back until time to catch and hes as quiet as he is fast..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I usually don't catch what he gets on camera.. the coyotes and raccoon were from last spring.

16. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

IN 2001 there was a case of someone in the town I lived in who had a baboon and ghetto fools just kept bringing dogs out to get murdered by his baboon.. 4in fangs and the ability to grab with hands and feet, the baboon would jump on the dogs grab them with his feet and hands and then bite the spine simutaneoulsy the baboon beat the dog sensless.. .. YUP.. he ended up in trouble with law enforcment and had his baboon taken to a private zoo. ... took em forever to build a case on the red neck down in the ghetto~ many dogs died. .. . people are just ignorant...

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

nice pics Foundation, what is that black/white dog?

18. blanch

blanch Big Dog

how do the dogs catch the coyotes?

is it in thick cover and the dogs smash through it better?

19. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

mine run em thru open fields and pasture. if they couldnt rely on their sense of sight them coyotes would have no problem escaping

20. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

the black and white dog in my Karelian bear dog, her sire in imported from Finland. This is a fantasitc breed. Very intelligent. Basically these are wilderness survival dogs. They hunt everything.. They can break a wolf's neck with a snap however they aren't the fighter bulldogs are. they do get in there and fight with bear the same way. THey also CHASE moose, not many dogs can make a Moose run. .. No usually the coyotes aren't in thick cover when the dog gets em that I've seen, they are out in open woods or field.