1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Sardines in Tomato Sauce?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

So i had some Sardines in Tomato Sauce given to me , about 20 cans and there Canadian made Sardines in Tomato sauce from NB, I hate Sardines, and gave the dogs half a can each to see what they thought! THey L:iked! Could you see any problemd coming from doing this?
    wasn't sure if i'm gunna have a bunch of dogs suffering from Heart burn! lol or what not!

Just Another STUPID QUESTION!:rolleyes:

2. XXLbully

XXLbully Big Dog

I give sardines or mackerels depending on what i can get, and it seems like it doesnt't do any bad. there is omega 3 in it

3. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Yeah i know its good, but could you see the Tomato Sauce being a problem?:confused:
    Lots of Iron too!;)

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

don't hear much of dogs being fed tomato's or sauce , leftover from "Spaghetti night":D

5. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I can't see what the tomato sauce would hurt.I'm not suprised they liked the sardines,I've been mixing a little makerel in my feed and the dogs love it.

6. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

I would limit the tomato sauce. I called my vet and she told me that given over an extended period of time, can possibly cause UTI, crystals, bladder infections. :)

I would rinse the sauce off the sardines before giving them to the dog.

7. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Being that it's just a small can of sardines, and you're not feeding all twenty cans to the dogs at once, I don't see an issue giving it to them, with sauce. Just mix it in with their kibble. :) It would be a nice once a week treat!

8. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Rinse the sardines off....alot of sodium coming from the tomato sauce!

YIS

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks Guys!;)

THEY STINK SO BAD! I'll just throw them in a strainer and rinse off before giving! ,
    haven't really fed much fish and if i did probably was cooked (like dinner scraps).

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

That's what I was thinking. Tomato sauce can run my sodium crazy high & I'd bet it'd probably do the same for a dog.

11. popper

popper CH Dog

the tomato sauce could maybe give em diarrhea... i feed my dogs either salmon , mackeral , tilapia , or tuna at eat 3 times a week. they love it

12. popper

popper CH Dog

and sardines already have enough sodium as it is even without the sauce

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks Everyone!;) better safe than sorry

14. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Actually, for anyone who cooks, they would know that your basic tomato sauce is made with little to no salt. It has the tendency to be flavored more with spices. :)

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

What makes it cause this?:confused:

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Is there anything to worry about with fish bones? And Also I've never heard of Tilapia? It a Southern Fish?:D:confused:

17. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

here's some info on Tilapia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia

It's a delicious fish, on the sweet side. :)

18. sydking

sydking Pup

i feed tinned sardines in spring water at least 2 times a week

19. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

we have Bass,Walley Pike, Sunfish(bass family), catfish, Perch (boney as hell),and rock bass, around Here, unless you buy it