1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

salmon

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by JoeyNzoey, Sep 11, 2010.

1. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I was told that with fresh salmon it should be frozen for at least 24 hours to make sure some specific parasite, if present would be killed. Now how about canned salmon? is that safe to feed? I purchased the Alaskan pink salmon in a can from my grocery store there is no sauce added and it says ready to serve for human consumption. Once opened it says to simply refrigerate the rest in a bowl. I don't feed any other fish but have fed fresh salmon before only a couple of times. I saw these and would like to know if they are safe and such. Any help will be appreciated thanks.

2. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

What is the sodium content in the canned? I usally would by fresh and freeze it or just buy frozen the stuff.the stuff in the can to me taste like crap...So I could never imagine feeding it to my dogs.;)

3. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

sodium is 270mg and protein is 12g yeah I have given fresh frozen salmon but my real question is there any harm to feed the one from the can? despite it maybe not tasting to well :p I personally have not eaten salmon from a can either but she seems to enjoy it.

4. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Good question there, I used mackerel from a can and never seem to be a problem. I don't even know where to start or where to research this one. I am sure the perservative they use in a can is there and I don't know what it is, but something has to be used. Still fresh is the best and you really must love them dogs because that isn't cheap in a can or fresh, mackerel was pretty cheap but my mutts only got it once a week because of cost.

5. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I feed whole frozen mackeral from the markets! there like $0.20 each here!

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

lol.......do you really think, the grocery store would sell you canned parasites?

7. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

8. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Im no expert by any means, But I do love my fishing and so does my dog. I've fed him anything from cleaned up flathead, tailor, To cleaned salmon heads, tuna fillets you name it he gets it. If we catch it in the numbers the dog eats it too. I'm not 100% sure on whether or not to freeze first but I've been doing so for at least 48hrs, I heard something similar about roo meat. Never had a problem and he really enjoys it. I dont feed it regularly, I use a tad of canned tuna daily. And he generally gets his fish fillets on weekends.

9. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

thanks for the replies guys but I still feel like my question is not being answered ;) (safe to feed canned salmon or not) for the last 2 days I have given her only about a teaspoon full from the canned salmon.
    I started another thread on another board regarding this and someone told me that salmon can be toxic to dogs :confused:

10. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Salmon is all good. Canned or not. I'd say freeze it just to be on the safe side. I've seen many dogs thrive with a bit of fish and omega3 in their diet. Hope that helped a bit more than my previous post.:)

11. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

thanks quinny and I didn't mean to sound upset or anything but I just didn't feel like my main question was really answered was all ;)

So rule out the fact that salmon can be toxic to dogs?

12. quinny

quinny Big Dog

I'd say so. Sounds like a crock to me! I do freeze mine though. I've fed dogs whole fish before and they've done alright. Just depends on the fish, bones, and teeth as to whether or not I feed it whole. I introduced my mums dog (mutt) to a few tea spoons of canned tuna mixed in with his dry and he loves it, Coat's looking better now too.

13. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

thanks again quinny I am introducing it at very small amounts myself.