1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole) Dose for Dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ElJay, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I just recently typed up a document for the dosing and price comparison of fenbendazole dewormer. I figured I would share it here as some may find it very helpful. Remember, fenbendazole is an excellent wormer that can be used to treat the following parasites: roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. It is also labeled for a type of tapeworm, but this is NOT the type of tapeworm dogs typically get. In order to treat the correct type of tapeworms (which are contracted from a dog eating fleas and NOT contagious from dog to dog) you will need a dewormer called praziquantel, which I will talk about in another thread.

Anyway, here is the document I created copied and pasted for you:

Panacur/Safeguard (Fenbendazole)Dosages for Dogs<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

The appropriate dosage of fenbendazole for dogs is 22.7 mg/lb.<o:p></o:p>

A 35-pound dog would require 794.5 mg of fenbendazole per day for 3days in a row <o:p></o:p>
    (a total of 2383.5 mg)<o:p></o:p>
    A 40-pound dog would require 908 mg per day (a total of 2724 mg)<o:p></o:p>
    A 45-pound dog would require 1021.5 mg per day (a total of 3064.5 mg)<o:p></o:p>
    A 50-pound dog would require 1135 mg per day (a total of 3405 mg)<o:p></o:p>
    A 55-pound dog would require 1248.5 mg per day (a total of 3745.5 mg)<o:p></o:p>

A 92 gm tube of equine Safeguard/Panacur dewormer contains afenbendazole concentration of 10% (100 mg/g). Just as seen above, the dose is per day for 3 days in a row. Using this method with the paste will havethe following dosages per weight of dog (numbers have been approximated forease of calculation and administration:<o:p></o:p>

35 lb = 8 grams of paste per day<o:p></o:p>
    40 lb = 9 grams of paste per day<o:p></o:p>
    45 lb = 10.25 grams of paste per day<o:p></o:p>
    50 lb= 11.5 grams of paste per day<o:p></o:p>
    55 lb = 12.5 grams of paste per day<o:p></o:p>

This tube contains only 92 grams, so three 45-pound dogs can justbarely be treated from the contents of one tube. If your dogs weigh more than this, one tubewon’t be enough to treat all of them. Ifthey weigh less, you will have some left over. Do the calculations as appropriate for your dogs’ weights. This tube of paste is a dial syringe made forhorses so it can be difficult to get the exact amounts needed. <o:p></o:p>

The 10% cattle and goat liquid suspension of Safeguard/Panacur has verysimilar dosing to the paste, one dose per day for 3 days in a row, except it is in liquid form, which makesthings very easy. You can use a standardtype syringe that measures in cc or mL, as these units are equivalent (i.e. 1cc = 1 mL). The dosing is as follows:<o:p></o:p>

35 lb = 8 mL of liquid per day<o:p></o:p>
    40 lb = 9 mL of liquid per day<o:p></o:p>
    45 lb = 10.25 mL of liquid per day<o:p></o:p>
    50 lb = 11.5 mL of liquid per day<o:p></o:p>
    55 lb = 12.5 mL of liquid per day<o:p></o:p>

The suspension is available in 125 mL bottles, 1 liter (1000 mL) bottles,and 1 gallon (3785 mL) bottles.<o:p></o:p>
    A 125 mL bottle will treat approximately five 35-pound dogs, four 40-45-pounddogs, or three 50-55 -pound dogs. Of course, this is just a rough estimate togive you an idea of what one 125 mL bottle can treat.<o:p></o:p>
    A liter can treat 41 35-pound dogs, 37 40-pound dogs, 32 45-pound dogs,29 50-pound dogs, or 26 55-pound dogs… etc.<o:p></o:p>
    A gallon can treat approximately 123 45-pound dogs… etc.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Cost Effectiveness (Price Comparisonsof each formula type)<o:p></o:p>

Prices used are from the Jeffers Pet website and are evaluated usingthe 45-pound dog just for sake of demonstration. These prices compare the Safeguard granulesavailable for canines, the Safeguard equine paste, and the Safeguardcattle/goat suspension. Safeguard andPanacur are very similarly priced. Theseare the top two brands of fenbendazole commercially available.<o:p></o:p>

Canine granules are:<o:p></o:p>
    1 box of (3) 1 gram packets is $5.49<o:p></o:p>
    1 box of (3) 2 gram packets is $7.49<o:p></o:p>
    1 box of (3) 4 gram packets is $12.99<o:p></o:p>
    A 45-pound dog would require 1 box of 1 gm packets and 1 box of 4 gmpackets in order to receive the appropriate dose. This would cost $18.48 to treat ONE dog.<o:p></o:p>

Horse paste tubes are:<o:p></o:p>
    1 92 gram tube is $24.49. <o:p></o:p>
    This tube is capable of treating three 45-pound dogs. This equals to a cost per treatment of $8.16per dog.<o:p></o:p>

Cattle/goat suspension bottles are:<o:p></o:p>
    125 mL bottle is $17.95<o:p></o:p>
    1 liter (1000 mL) bottle is $112.45<o:p></o:p>
    1 gallon (3785 mL) bottle is $378.95<o:p></o:p>
    A 125 mL bottle can treat four 45-pound dogs, which equals to a cost of$4.49 per dog. A liter bottle can treat32 45-pound dogs, which equals to a cost of $3.52 per dog. A gallon bottle can treat 123 45-pound dogs,which equals to a cost of $3.09 per dog.<o:p></o:p>

As you can see, it is much more cost effective to purchase the gallonof cattle/goat suspension. The leastcost effective method of treatment are the canine granules. <o:p></o:p>

Happy Bulldoggin'!!!

2. old goat

old goat CH Dog

what's up girl where you been hiding ??

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Tractor Supply has a broad spectrum wormer just for dogs and I have used it and will so again..Its 65 bucks for one box but thier is 12 tablets per box which is about 5 bucks a pill..It eliminates all the guess work ,dosage is exactly what its suppose to be for a dog.

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

It is also a treatment for Giardia. However it has to be given for 5 days.

Another way to figure out dosing is if you use the liquid or paste and the concentration is 100mg/ml or gram.

You use 1ml/cc or 1 gram per 4.4 pounds.

For dosing purposes 1gram equals 1 ml.

For a confirmed case of Rounds, whips, or hooks you should repeat the treatment in 2 weeks. 

5. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

been busy! pharmacy school doesn't leave me time for much else these days.... how ya been?

6. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yes i know the dewormer you're talking about. it's the Sentry HC Worm X. But that's pyrantel pamoate and it only treats hookworms and roundworms. nothing else. and it's still more expensive to use than the fenbendazole...

7. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yeah when i typed up my article i was focused on just giving weight ranges for folks to understand. i thought later i should have added 1 cc per 4.4 pounds, but I didn't want to redo my word document, especially since i'd already posted it. this came about as a result of a dicussion i was having in a facebook group, lol. so thank you for adding that tidbit of info here. i'll rework my document to include that sometime later... :-)

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Not true at all Cynthia it treats tapeworms also..as I said its a broad spectrum wormer..I saw it cure treat and get rid of tapeworm with my own 2 euyes..and it is inexpensive..12 tablets treats 12 dogs..as long as they dont exceed 50 lbs..so your treating 12 dogs for around 5 bucks.com..as i said its a Broad Spectrum wormer..

9. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

the shit cures Tapeworms ill take bets on that...all day

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

And Cynthia sorry for saying your name I meant EL J

11. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Your's is awesome!!!

I have come to learn that sometimes you have to dumb it down a bit. And please no one take offense.

I have a male friend that I try to explain dosages to and he always stops me and tells me that I sound like the school teacher on Charlie Brown. LMAO and that I might as well be speaking Chinese.

Your paper is awesome and very informative. But sometimes when you put so much info in some people do not always retain or understand it.

And Bama it takes care of the Taenia species of tapeworms. However it does not treat the most common tapeworm species (Dipylidium caninum) that dogs and cats from the flea.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  12. charleyd

charleyd Pup

fenbendazole treats lung worm also dogs around fox shit or snails are at risk of contacting lung worm

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

i've been doing good . just ready to see what's going to happen this election . will it be history ??

14. Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can Safeguard 10% solution for goats at the cheapest price? I have 3 very large dogs, so I need the 1 liter bottle to have enough to treat them all.
    Thanks!
    Jen

15. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I get mine from TSC

16. It's the internet. Type it in a search and wha la lol.

17. cheapest places to get it usually is at a horse supplies,horse panacur is the same stuff as for dogs just much cheaper,

18. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

19. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yes you need to treat the Dipylidium Canium species of tapeworms with praziquantel. Safe guard won't kill this type of tapeworm only praziquantel will.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  20. Thanks for the tip. I looked it up and it's about $1 more than what I've found, but the shipping & handling costs $13 at the place I found the cheapest product. I'll have to look at the shipping prices for TSC and see how they equate.
    I've done a lot of searching on the internet for it and have called and gone in to the feed stores around here. But for some reason the feed stores don't carry it and they said they don't think they can order it, but will call me if they can with a price. I have 5 dogs, 3 of which are well over 100lbs., so I need a good amount of it to treat them all and this stuff isn't cheap!