1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ruining the breed!

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Mr.Benedict, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I understand that people like variety and I understand everyone has an opinion!
    But, I don't understand why so many people are trying to ruin the APBT.
    As I have seen lately, many are breeding 100lbs plus dogs with ears like dumbo and face and neck skin that drag the ground!
    I'm not trying to offend anyone, but why would anyone breed dogs that do not remotely come close to the standards of the true APBT?
    furthermore , it's a shame that these dogs are being aloud to register with the same registries as the true, original APBT.
    OK, it is now off my chest and I said it!
    If I'm the only one here that thinks this way I'm sorry for this outburst , but today has been one of those days!
    I saw a friend today and they were bragging about there 110lbs double registered APBT whatever and it's been eating at me all day!
    This is not the standard and you don't get dogs like that from feeding or diet!
    so theres other stuff added for this as we all know, and along with this come non true to the breed flaws , dispositions, and instability!

bahamutt99 and 14rock like this.
  2. calikeith

calikeith Big Dog

It all has to do with fads/trends and money.The apbt community is filled with snake oil sales men and liars.

3. I agree,but the fad and trends should be truth! not lies . It's a shame that the registries are letting this happen to this special breed!
    It really should be stopped immediately.
    Little by little this infectious virus is worming it's way into the great breed that we all uphold and nurture, and try to keep true!
    It is really out of everyones hands except the registries, but do they care?
    Probably not if there getting there money for registrations!
    If anyone has an idea on how to control this I'm all ears , as I will start writing letters and gathering support.
    If it's a lost cause let me know !
    Ive been messing with the APBT for a looong time and just since the past several years I've really seen the breed suffer to ignorance and neglect from those that are suppose to care about this breed! and I'm just tired of seeing it!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  4. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Alot of the general public (me at one time) thinks that is what an apbt is suposed to look like. That is what thay look like on tv right. I dident know a damn thing about the breed when I got my first pit & like most I thought bigger was better. I dident go looking for a big dog but lets just say when I seen my First dogs sire & dam I was not disapointed (both over 90 lbs.) At first I was offended when someone would say my dog wasent purebreed. I dident belive a word of it. Hell I paid good money for it and it had papers, not to mention the byb who sold him to me told me there were champions in his bloodline. Whew..Ignorance is bliss. When I decided I wanted to get serious about bulldogs I started to recerch the breed's history. Immidatly I realized that my dog looked nothing like the proven dogs of the past who were the foudation for todays bulldogs. I still have the big guy and he is an exelent pet. I am forever greatfull to him for introducing me to the breed.Since then I have gotten 2 gamebread bulldog's and have established a relationship with the dogman who breed them. Long story short this dogman took a look at my dogs papers and was able to tell me exactly what dog's in my Big dogs pedigree were paperhung. Reinforseing the fact that if youre dog is a natural 85 pounds or bigger the dog is most likely mixed with something somewhare.

bahamutt99 likes this.
  5. In your honest opinion! do you think it has gotten out of hand and do you think it will eventually hurt the integrity of the true game dog in the near future?
    Just curious if I'm the only paranoid one here!

6. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I wouldn't just jump on them like that.

The pitbull terrier, has an original form, yes. But our breed, has been taken by many different people and dogmen and bred into their own form of what they thought in their own minds to be their 'game/athletic/conformational pitbull.
    The original dogmen bought,traded dogs from eachother to either cross breed or line breed off of a foundation that they thought was their most successful pitbull. Now, most of the time, size/color didn't matter when creating their ideal pitbull. It was either crunch, mouth, muscle tone, game, athleticism etc.

Therefore you ended up our current dogs. Which all stem from older dogs that they want to replicate.

Now, just like every breed, there are dogs in litters that turn out to be freakishly larger than others. It happens. There have been game dogs that naturally turned out to be 70-75 lbs. Of course, they were curs. Not what the breeder wanted.

On the other hand, you have people that bred the APBT for size, color and conformation. This usually went over to the AKC/UKC dogs the Ruffians, Yorks, Galants. If you look back, these dogs stem from original APBTs like Tudor's Blackjack, Colby's Pincher etc.

Now, these current monsters (Gotti, Razors Edge, Powerline, etc.) stem from people like Dave (don't know last name: the creator of Razor's Edge) whoms goal was to create a larger, bigger, (mostly blue), pitbull. Yes, a pitbull.

This man, a dogman unfortunately, went through different breeders picking out the biggest game dogs from notable kennels in the US. Which I'm sure was not a hard task to get rid of a huge cur dog. Then he went out further and crossed these with some York lines that he found were of a significant size and approriate to what HE was looking for. After breeding, line breeding and breeding back to even larger pitbull specimens, he finally ended up with HIS dream dog. A massive, cane corso looking, pitbull. I still say 'pitbull'.

The problem? THOUSANDS on top of THOUSANDS of people followed these breeder's visions and took a liking to what they created. I've seen game dog owners cross over. Why? No idea. Is it the creator's fault? No. It's the consumer. The breeder is just another man, like original dogmen, who had an idea, created the perfect specimen, and many people liked it.

Remember now, these dogs are not the result of two big pitbull mixes that were bred together and slapped some papers and a tag on them and deemed it 'Big Blue's soandso' pitbull line. These were actually thought out breedings.

Now, ALOT of these lines are bred, showed, and PRed and Championed in shows for conformation. There are REAL pedigrees from 1-6 full of ACTUAL PRs and CHs. Because there are many people that like these dogs, show them and care for them.

Does it resemble the original pitbull? Nope. But they do stem from the line. Are people cashing in on the popular trend? Heck yea. People will always cash in. Even when the rednoses were popular. Even when game dogs were popular. There's always someone buying whatever and breeding them.

BUT, you can't blame anyone for having a vision, creating it, and many on top of many people liking what you created.

What did Purplepig say? Conceive, believe, achieve?

My $2

7. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Oh ya its otta hand & oh yeah I think it will hurt the integrity of the true game dog in thye future. Hell I think it is hurting the true apbt Now!

8. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Yes there are occasionaly ,rarely a freekishly large pitbull streaigt off of true gamedogs (Mayday,burton's Hank etc..) but thay are not all currs!! (once agian Mayday Burtons Hank etc..)I do not belive you can create 100 pound monsters threw selective breeding of gamedogs. At least not that fast. You better belive there is something elts in those lines and the creaters of those lines will continue to lie and take the true breedings of there low wide and bully dogs to there grave. Jmho. Big Game

9. Lethalpits has a good point! but the comfirmation of the true APBT has not changed since the first colby dogs and I don't think it should change now!
    I do understand that everyone has an idea and opinion of what they like but I feel that these other breeds of pitbulls should not be catagorized along side what we all know is the true game dog!
    They should be recatagorized and given a different name . I could just imagine what John Colby , Earl Tudor or Bert Clouse would say if they saw these dogs that are being bred now!
    Many ,many years of hard work keeping these dogs true and along comes this !

10. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

The problem there is? To the grave. You know how long that might take? You know how many breedings will take place in that time? They MIGHT be lying, but not anymore. Pedigrees only last up to MAYBE 10th gen of contribution. They've already went passed 10th gen. Those dogs are here and now.

11. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Thay would be to bussy throwing up to do mutch elts.

12. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

I dont argue the fact that thay are here and now. I think thay were paperhung then and I think thay are being line breed down off of those paperhung dogs now. I respect youre opinion, I just disagree with it.

13. calikeith

calikeith Big Dog

Thats a pretty right on post,good deal.Although i do have to say that along the way there was alot of other breeds thrown in the mix,you dont get the monster from line breeding only and dave wilson admits that,he also claims to be the first to own and import a presa canario to the usa,but says he never added it to his line...

14. MASON

MASON Big Dog

I also think there was some paperhanging going on. Maybe not in all of the dogs but a handfull I think were. Some folks say they were bred off of dwaf traits in the breeding stock and I can undestand and agree a little. But I also think that something else was thrown in there as well. Has anyone noticed any DNA testing at least? I haven't. Anytime you have to question yourself or have second thoughts on how a dog is bred, then something is wrong... JMO

15. True game lines have the Pit as the one and only judge. Pit functions like a sieve wich leaves only the real ones in the next generation. Nowadays the dog fight is in many parts of the earth forbade and exactly there lies the problem. So you can cross a duck with a racoon and maintain the babies are true Bulldogs. No problem and someone would give you fine papers...maybe with some bolio in it. I am sure if the dog fight lasts permissibly we would not lead this discusion. Hippos would have to pass her check against real Bulldogs and would disappear from genpool. Nobody could call any dog Bulldog without disgracing itself. The Pit would find all that ducks and racoons....

16. BTW....look at all that fine true game Bulldogs from Russia, Japan,Philipines,Rumania,Poland, and all parts of the USA....you find any hippos there?......NO because where you find the fight you find true Bulldogs...

17. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Those really fat, lowrider overdone dogs are MIXED BREEDS. Those dogs are NOT full-blooded Pitbulls. It was an is and act of deceit to call them such.

18. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

On contrare, the tubbies made it over there too believe me. Well, they are in the Phillippines and Japan that I know of.

I'm tellin ya, there's fans everywhere.

19. I mean you dont find the hippos in this true game lines....

20. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

My bad yea, def. not fighting them, but showing them of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.