1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ruined??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ABK, Feb 12, 2007.

1. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Lovebeingme: If you own APBTs, then you should know the history of the breed. Most of the people on this particular board have dogs from some old bloodlines. The ancestors of their dogs were more than likely used in the box. Only dogs of the highest caliber were bred in that day, so when you have them in your dog's second or third or even fourth gen, you are more than likely going to have a dog that would love nothing more than to scrap with the dog next to him. This does not make us bad owners and it doesn't mean that we have bad dogs, either. Dog aggression is a part of the breed, and if you are trying to breed it out or discourage it, you are in for a big surprise.

Another thing, you say that your dogs can read body language from other dogs, so they don't feel threatened. No threat, no need to defend. If you for one second think that APBTs fight because they feel threatened, then you should not have this breed at all. You should go get something not related to any terrier breed. APBTs fight because they love to do it, Period, Bottom Line, No Ifs Ands or Buts about it.

PS, One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes is where Kramer brings home a rooster:D

2. Attila

Attila Guest

I am glad this thread was started. APBT 101.

3. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

Thanks again for keeping it civil and explaining. It's appreciated. I can relate in the fact that when my female was attacked she did seem depressed. She also seemed to not like to be around me anymore, like she was dissapointed that I couldn't stop it faster. That's also my own guilt though.

Now instead of it breaking her down, it really turned on her DA. She has mellowed out since it's been almost a year since the incident, but she used to go after any dog that wasn't one that lived in the house. That made it quite hard to foster. I will not foster adult females though because of her. She seems to like the boys much better.

Now I understand what you mean by ruined. I guess I'm just so thankful for every day that my dogs get along, it seemed backwards to me.

Thanks

Jaime

4. Attila

Attila Guest

That is wonderful. Make sure you tell Riptora that I did something civilized. lol She thinks I am a cave man these days.

5. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

I never said any of you were bad owners, or that you had bad dogs so please don't imply that's what I think.

I know the basic history of the breed, there is no need for me to know bloodlines and such as all my pets are spayed and neutered and will not be producing any new dogs.

Maybe your dogs love to fight. Mine don't. They fight when a new dog comes in that does not respect that the resident dogs are top dog. If a dog comes into my home and acts submissive I have no problems.

Maybe to most of you my dogs are broken, ruined, what ever, I disagree, they are wonderful companions who happen to follow my rules in my home.

Finally, do not tell me what breed I should or should not own. I am a capable dog owner/lover and the APBT is my breed of choice. I don't see how someone like myself is somehow uncapable of caring for these dogs. Maybe I've been lucky that my dogs aren't crazy dog aggressive, if they were though, I'd love them just the same. We've had many fosters come through our house, most have some degree of DA, and I accept that as part of the breed....it's just not my favorite part.

Jaime

Edited to add: Just an FYI, I am not some new owner of this breed. I have been around APBT for over a decade, my oldest APBT is 4, so I don't beleive I'm in for some "big surprise".

The Seinfeld rooster episode is a good one. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  6. runt

runt Big Dog

I agree 100%;This happened to me a while back,I took my dog to a friends house for a visit and while we were talking dogs,his nieghbors dogs escaped a kennel and charged us(american bulldog and a female pit,both bigger than tiger)me and tiger all I could do was to jump on a picnic table in his yard,I knew tiger had turned on has he was over twoyrs.old but I was kinda scared for him because my friend said that these dogs get loose all the time to attack other dogs and had even killed some(he told me to late)well he grabbed the AMBD and started shaking him then the pit grabbed his leg and started to shake,it surprised me that he just kept doing what he was doing disreguarding the leg until he felt she needed a little so he grabbed her then the AMBD grabbed him by the head and started shaking but he kept the pit,it lasted about 5 to 6 min. us trying to break it up finally the female had enough and ran off and the AMBD was getting a beating of a lifetime,and we was finally able to get them apart.the moral to this story is that That thing call GAMENESS,heart,drive what ever you want to call it is the most inportant quality these dogs of ours have and once it is gone we might as well have poodles.And as for the statement that all of them GAMEDOGS have to be dog aggressive is not true,when I walk my boy he pays other dogs of different breeds no attention unless they show agression tward us,and when he has gotten off the chain he will not bother the other dogs in the yard but will be ready for a strange dog;He was my first PITBULL he will be 7 in two months and he is still the smartest,and the most protective dog I have seen.sorry for the lenth of this,I got caught up:rolleyes:

7. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Jaime, I'm not trying to say that you are an incapable owner. All I'm saying is that if you don't think your APBT is going to get into a fight with another dog, then you should own another breed. Not You in particular, but You as a general term. Now you yourself just stated that your dog is DA to strange dogs, but you love her anyway. Knowing this, how can you ask why we would want DA dogs? We love our dogs, in spite of the fact that they don't want to be friendly with our other dogs. We just keep them seperated and each one gets plenty of one on one time with us. And no, they don't feel the need to be in a pack. We humans are their pack.

Another funny episode of Seinfeld: When a lady walks in on George coming out of the shower and laughs at his little wee wee:o Then he has to explain how the water was cold, LOL!!!

8. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

Gotcha. I am always aware that my dogs may fight, I've accepted that. My point is, I'd prefer if they didn't. I find no harm in that.

I'm sure there are a ton of other episodes I'm forgetting but the one that was on last night just gets me roaring every time. I'm laughing now just thinking about it. :D

9. Attila

Attila Guest

Many folks here try to avoid fights. I am not sure but it may be most of us that try to avoid any such. I just look at it as I know they will and take precautions to prevent such from happening.

I don't know what ya'll are talking about with the Sienfield deal but sounds goofy.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Dog-aggression is a small inconveinance compared to the love, and loyalty these animals bestow.

11. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

LMFAO! Just check the rep points I just left you before reading this! too funny...

12. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I think you might be my favorite newbie thus far [​IMG] You approached the topic in a very polite and respectible manner, in a forum where many newbies are fearful of Human Aggression, AND you are open minded! How great! I hope you stick around a while.

13. Good post....man I preach it as long iam on this board gameness and dogaggressiv behavior are 2 total different things and if you bred for gameness you will not get more dogaggressive kind of dogs. Some will be dogaggressive more or less, some will be cold, some will be very dogaggressive like in every other breed. The point is that ouer choice of dogs are the better fighter(gameness,ability) thats all.

14. Attila

Attila Guest

Yah, thanks that is good to have. I have to put out a curve ball every now and then so I keep striking out the batters. lol

15. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

this is why i always say,check your hardware everyday even 2 or 3 times per day.i doubt your dog is ruined.if she is game she is game and a accidental fight is not going to change that.i used to game test dogs pretty hard rolling sometimes 2 or 3 dogs into them and the ones that were truely pit worthy were absolutely fine.i really rolled my dogs hard.look at it this way if she has already cranked up you now know if she is worthy of entering your breeding program.i know it sounds harsh but it is a good way of looking at it.if she turns out to be her old self then you know she is a fine specimen worthy of entering your program.if she doesn't then cull her and open the space to another prospect.i know this sounds rough and like i don't give a shit but i honestly do understand your concern and what your feeling right now.just remember from now on check that hardware as much as you can each and everyday.

1 person likes this.
  16. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Old Timer I like you cause you keep it real.....

17. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

2-dogging a prospect in a game-test, is not the same as a PUPPY getting beat up by 3 dogs at once. Either can ruin a dog, the latter makes it much more probable.

18. ABK:
    How is she doing? I am still praying that she makes a full recovery.

19. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

Thanks Riptora!

I appreciate the recognition of effort.

I'm trying, hard, as alot of the views here are foreign to me. Call it whatever you may, it's still quite different from what I'm used to.

Now, I will not say that I'll agree with everything posted, I hope you guys will allow me to express myself, right or wrong, without censorship (within reason of course).

Thanks for having me.

Jaime

20. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

I can actually "get" this. This is kind of the point I was trying to make. Gameness and DA can be two totally different things. I can not embody DA and still appreciate what these dogs can do as far as gameness is concerned. Realonebulldog, I am not trying to twist your words, and I hope you don't feel that way, I just saw some similarities in how I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just don't see how DA HAS TO BE linked to drive. Can't they be hog aggressive? Or whatever animal you are tracking aggressive? Why must they be crazy-kill anything moving to be beneficial to you?

Geez, I have so much more going on in this brain of mine, and I hope that noone thinks I am going over and over the same thing.

Jaime