1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Roadwork users anyone???

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by mr.futuristic, Nov 19, 2009.

1. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

if possible u culd run your dog on sand.my buddy does that for his pits

2. wisconsingame

wisconsingame Big Dog

i use a 3 lbs weighted collar on springpole and flintpole work it keeps my dogs nice and tried. ive been interested in weighted vest but havent Committed to the idea yet i could see it Cos more damage to the dog. But i also seen great thing done with weighted vest. and if u have a beach to go to. The sand and swimming workouts i feel r thw best for dogs

3. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Vest or collar they are both great tools in moderation. I would only use em in combo with Flirt pole for like fetch. and not for a very long time.... as far as the mill Goes. how old is the dog? Find something that motivates the dog. If that don't work let the dog see another dog work the mill and get all the prais and attention. the dog could change her mind. these dogs are all about attention and pleasing us.

Vic

4. Bertus

Bertus Pup

This really works out great! I do this too and they get slim and very nice conditioned. But i also roll the ball over the floor occasionaly between the high jumps and fetch.

5. ray

ray Pup

let me share my experience, im a college student, a 3rd year bachelor in secondary education, major in english, even if i have a very tight schedule, i still find time to walk my dog everynight, hand walking for 1 to two hours, with a few minutes in a flirt pole. it works good for me, im using the powerhouse roadwork keep. but i modify it a bit, and so far, it suits my dogs.:):)

6. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

the dog wont run the mill i tried everything. she is 3 her previous owner never had her on one when i try she just wont do it i have dogs that took caoching to run it but this bitch just wont. makes for a stress type of situation which i dont want her in so im just finding other things she likes. she took to the weight pulling like a fish in water. thanks for the input.

7. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

ok this thread is not about handwalking for those who keep talking about it i have done keeps before an have been successful. i dont need to be schooled on how to walk a dog. my question is has anyone used an been successful with barney fife's keep using weight pulling for strength work.

8. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

as far as using wieght pulling for stength work, sorry i never tried it.i wuld think it wuld work if done properly.using lite weight to start and slowly move up to heavier.i think if you mix it up with running and other workouts it wuld b very successful.let me know if you try it.i mite just do the same

9. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

thanks for the input. thats what i was thinking just as it says in the keep i have already started slow so we will see what happens as i build her up. im just doing a 5 week keep with it. i think it will workout just wanted to see what others on the board think about it.

10. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i have chained walked my dogs before during keeps. it seems to really work long as you dont go for long distances. keep it short and with a harness. if i remember right the chain walking is used in powerhouse keep. over all it seems to really work with my dogs. they dont mind the weight. with this being said if you do use this dont start out with alot of weight. start low weight and build up to a few lbs. just be smart and caring for your dogs health.

11. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

We had Rocco pulling a 5lb plate for a mile and a half every other day, after the running on the slat mill and springpole work. I think it worked well, lol well enough to get that .W.:D

12. AGK

my question is has anyone used an been successful with barney fife's keep using weight pulling for strength work.

Yes, have used it sucessfully, worked great. You could really tell, I thought anyway, when they pushed there own weight around;)

13. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

thanks widerange an agk

14. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

i live close to the beach but all the beaches around here arent dog friendly i would give anything to be able to take the dogs jogging on the beach every once in awhile

15. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

that sux.that would be a great workout for your dogs

16. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Why is this?? I know manny dogmen who drag chains etc to condition a dog. I use it in my keeps. I only use resistance training every 3rd workout and vary lightly but imo it does have its place in a keep.

17. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

how does that workout for you like can you see a increase in power?

18. Yes, it has worked for me. Just stick to it, and don't over do it with the chain.

19. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I'd bet you a pup that he won't do it that way again;)

20. AGK

Probally not, it was loud and a pain in the ass and very suspect looking taking long walks in the city with a conditioned dog draging weight....lol not too bright. oh well live and learn;)