1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

roach back

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by KDW, Jan 21, 2016.

1. KDW

KDW Native Nightmare

I was lately just wondering as i see alot of dogs with a roach back at conformation shows.
    Sometimes i really dont know if i can call it a roach back, but i see alot of dogs being "conditioned" with a roach back showing alot of spine bones...
    Is this maybe something genetic? Or similiar to a bloodline? Bad conditioning? etc....

I dont like seeing it at all, so i was just wondering.
    We also have ppl here that just starve there dogs to look all skinny and shit, lol
    But just curious to opinions on this......

2. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Some dogs just are like that all I can say. I've got a couple. Not sure if it's genetic or not because I have dogs off same litters a few have it others dont

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Its actually considered quite normal now and is becoming a standard so it seems..JoanieWinchester of Tatonka Kennels can tell you more about it. She explained it to me but its been a while

4. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

The worst thing you can do for A WORKING dog is let him develop fat in the stomach! Now pups and brood stock they need it!

5. KDW

KDW Native Nightmare

i also putted this question on facebook (you gotta love fb)
    But what i meant cant be called a roach back...
    i heared what i mean had something to do with mal nutrition (or bad conditioning) probaly....
    wish i could post a picture but i dont like bashing somebody's dog :(

it's like seeing a starved dog without seeing the hip bones and not that much ribs...
    so really the spine is showing and the back is roach ... sometimes even the but is higher then there head,
    so the body doesnt look in proportion...

6. KDW

KDW Native Nightmare

that's sad if i knew this i would have asked her previous ADBA show, she was in my country... :(

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Roach back is genetic due to ones bloodline which is basically the arch in a dogs back as some have a higher arch then others. Just as long as performance of the dog is not effected most are not concerned about it, unless your in it just for there looks LOL.