1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Relative bite force vs outright bite force.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by CockneyRebel123, Jun 21, 2023.

1. I have owned quite a few breeds, Bulldogs included, that are known to have a strong bite, these include, Akita, American Bulldog, German Shepherd, Bull/Greyhound, some of these breed have a higher bite force than the APBT when tested but, you never see any oyher dog breeds like these do the damage to other dogs of a similar size to them than an APBT can, how is that so when they have a stronger bite force? I've never seen any other breed open up something like Bad Rosemary did in a couple of mins. The closest thing I've seen is when my old man's Akita snapped a Shepherd mixes leg after it escaped it's garden and went for the Akita.

2. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Akita's have an amazing bite force of 350-400

3. I know, the dog snapped the large Shepherd mixes leg like a matchstick in less than 30 secs. The dog had many fights with large dogs, Rotties, Mastiff crosses, and others and he always dominated them and put a serious hurting on them but, he never opened a dog up and caused the destruction a bulldog can do when on a hunt, he almost certainly had more bite force so why is that?

4. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

While the akita might have an amazing bite force, they don't have tenacity, like the bulldog.

5. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

A Bulldog stays in hold other breeds snaps.

Michele likes this.
  6. I'm not disputing that and it's not really my question. There was something I watched years ago and they tested the bite force of an APBT, German Shepherd, Rottweiler and Mastiff, the APBT was way behind the other breeds in bite force. The dog used would have been nothing like a hard mouthed game bred bulldog, I wonder how much more mouth a real un would have. Still, overall bite force doesn't necessarily mean more damage as I've seen huge dogs with strong bite force not create the damage a bulldog can.

7. Not always mates, once our hold Akita got hold he would shake a dog off the ground by it's spine. My American Bulldog was also quite tenacious and would stay in hold. I have no doubt these two animals were more powerful than near enough all bulldogs but, I've never seen them cause the destruction a bulldog can on something close to it's own size, some hunts are finished within 5 mins, that's unheard with cur breeds.

8. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Shaking and chewing deeper and deeper without spitting it out do the trick LOL Once visited a kennel of Bouviers. Two had been in conflict and one had a hole in the inside of his back leg. I had never seen such a large injury that you could put your fist in it. The nice thing was that the beast happily hopped around, not a beeper that dog. Bulldogs don't bite over as often as many other breeds, and what they don't want to let go they try to hold and work with all their might.

CockneyRebel123 likes this.
  9. My best Patterdale wasn't a shaker, he was a bone cruncher, we once got a fox in a stack of hay bales, by the time we had reached him he was stuck, but he could get to the back end of the fox which was also stuck. He had ate the back end of the fox, little nutjob. Lol

Yes, I suspect it is to do with the shaking but as you know, there's a lot of bone crunchers in the bulldog would that get deeper than normal dogs and can cause massive damage.

10. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Some can bite a brick in two some can't put holes in a paper bag

11. I think a lot of it is to do with mindset, some dogs have that intent to kill in them. Don't get me wrong, physical differences in head size/shape might make a small difference here and there but I dog tends to bite hard because it really wants to IMO.

12. I have American bulldogs, Rotties and pitbulls.
    I’ll do bite work on the sleeve especially with the American bulldogs and Rotties. I have done some sleeve work with some game dogs though.
    Out of the 3, my Rotties are usually the strongest and hit the sleeve the hardest in general. The bites on my Rotties is crazy strong. For home defense my Rotties are number one. My American bulldogs will protect too but aren’t as dedicated to it like my Rotties. They excel at it and do it with ease.

My pitbulls are people friendly but are more tenacious if they get into a dog scrap. Any yard accident I’ve had (thankfully all dogs were fine) my pitbulls were over powered at first but they were in it for the long haul, quicker, and had a lot of tenacity and took way longer to run out of gas.
    It’s that tenacity and desire that makes pitbulls capable of doing serious damage in my opinion. My Rotties and American bulldogs can defend themselves really well at first against any breed, but they eventually run out of gas, desire, and willpower while the pitbull is still ready and willing.

13. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

In reality the dog that does the 'seen' damage has lesser mouth.

Imagine this laboratory experiment.

Grab your left wrist with your right hand. Squeeze it as hard as you can and then try to move it up and down your forearm. It does not move much. Then loosen your grip slightly and move your hand up and down the arm. It moves slightly. Then loosen to close to nothing and repeat. Your hand slides up and down with relative ease.

Don't try this at home (a disclaimer for the younger generation) but break a glass bottle and put the shards of glass in your hand.

On the tight grip (hard mouth) you will only have piercings and pressure marks. Loosen your grip and slide that glass up and down your arm and you arm will have only superficial cuts but it will look like you sent it thru a meat grinder.

Dogs are really no different. The really hard mouth dogs bite deep and the damage is internal, more impactful but less apparent to the eye.

The dog with a lesser mouth who shakes violently will not hurt one as bad but make him look like he got sent thru that same grinder.

And another angle is that is is the strength of the neck and the violent shakes that do the damage not so much the actual biting.

S

BTK1993 and che like this.
  14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Could care less about some hangers or cutters.

15. che

che Top Dog

I couldn't tell it better!!!