1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended reads?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Chef-Kergin, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

Can anyone recommend any book(s) to read to help me quench my thirst for knowledge of the APBT?

I was looking on-line, and have seen Richard Stratton's name mentioned a few times as an author. He has several book, one from 76, , 81, and 91. I wasn't sure if the older books had redundant information or not.

I could search amazon all day (because for some odd reason, no book store has anything related to the APBT around my neck of the woods and the idiots at pet stores look at me screwy if I ask them if they could point me anywhere where I could gather some info) but I wanted to know what some people's personal favorite reads were/are.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Personally, I love the Stratton books. You might also want to try The Complete Game Dog by E and C Farron. You could probably look on E-Bay for some real good deals on it.

3. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

Can anyone give any possitive/negative feedback on George Armitage's Book, Thirty Yearswith Fighting Dogs?

I've read a few reviews, but wanted to hear from someone whos read it if possible.

jadedpitgirl, thanks for your input. I'll be checking it out.

4. well a few i liked were. a complete history of fighting dogs,history of fighting dogs,colby's book of the american pitbull terrier,i like all 3 of richard stratton's earlier books wich are this is the american pitbull terrier,the book of the american pitbull terrier and the world of the american pitbull terrier.i like thirty years with fighting dogs,the complete gamedog by ed faron,american gameness and heritage by Don mayfield,a legacy in gameness,and pit dogs a profile in portraits,gladiator dogs,the world of fighting dogs,fighting sports,memoirs of the pit,and the merick veterany manual.then my 2 most favorite books that are the pride and joy of my library THE AMERICAN PITBULL TERRIER by Joe colby i have one of the originals published in 1936,i remember buying that when i was just a boy.and the other pride and joy of my library is DOG FIGHTING by police gazette this book was published in 1885 and it has some really good reading in it.well this covers all the books i own and i think these books here will quench your thirst for knowledge [​IMG] hope this helps ya some.

debodebo likes this.
  5. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

I have two of strattons books . His latest one called "the truth about the APBT" and another one which was printed in the 80's called the "the world of the APBT" and i like that one the most out of the two i have. Its a good read with lots of good bulldogs stories and stuff. I also have the Complete gamedog by Ed and Chris Faron. I like this book and the best price i found it for was if you order straight from Wildside Kennels and ed will even sign the book for yah.

6. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

I enjoy all of Richard Strattons books. Each ojne is very different from the other...very little repeated info and some fantastic pics.

7. diggit

diggit Banned

i do all my reading online its pretty good to just sit back for a few hours and read.

8. CHATNJACK

CHATNJACK Big Dog

A few I’ve read, own and highly recommend would be… The Complete Game Dog by Ed Faron, History of The Pit bull Terrier by Wayne D. Brown, The American Pit Bull Terrier by Joseph Colby, Colby’s Book Of The American Pit Bull Terrier by Louis Colby, A Complete History Of Fighting Dogs by Mike Homan, and The World OF Fighting Dogs by Carl Semencic

9. diva

diva CH Dog

Man I am so thankful for that search feature. :) I'm making out a Christmas wish list of some books. So, far I've put quite a few that Tex recommended on my list.
    Searching online I stumbled upon a book called "The Working Pit Bull" by Dianne Jessup. Anybody read this book? If so, what did you think?

10. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

I have read it. It has some good points, but it is full of mis imformation as she is anti hunting and anti most anything that has to do with any confrontation with a bulldog. She talks about the gloriest past of the pitbull, then condems anyone that uses them for any reason other than weight pulling and Shutzhound competitions. She even goes so far as to say that weight pulling is the way a pitbull is tested for gameness now. If you want weight pulling, get a sled dog. Pits have never been used for weightpulling until these modern day panty waists started it. And as far her anti hunting views , she probably thinks her big -mac was born in a styrofoam holder. If it wasnt for hunting she probably would not be here today, as I would say her forefathers hunted to eat and survive. And like some of these Californians who are experiencing all these attacts by mountain lions and coyotes today are figuring out, hunters keep the fear of man in the wild animals and without that, their little world begins to turn up side down. I will bet they think twice the next time they go to the polls to outlaw hunting another species. And she also says that the ABPT is the same dog as the American Staff. They used to be, but years of show only has already began to tell on the Staff and they are not near the same dog as the APBT. That is another false fact. But if you ignore all of the crap she writes about these three subjects, her book has some good imformation and some good pics.