1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

reason for using nylon type collars instead of leather collars

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by 5555, Jan 2, 2005.

1. 5555

5555 Pup

nylon collars are better than leather due to a couple facts

1. leather stretches and nylon doesnt, this could be the breaking point between a dog getting loose and a dog being tied down

2. leather will degrade and rot over a way shorter time than leather

3. leather is more expensive than a good quality nylon collar, onac has some collars that sound real nice for 10 buck (if that deal is still going on), but they can be found on many sites on lawless from about 10-20 bucks each.

4. if u need an extra hole in nylon u can just heat up a 16 penny nail and melt one through without weekening the collar (but if u have too many holes too close to gether it will weeken). leather collars have to be punched and not many people have leather punches sitting around and end up drilling/cutting a new hole in the collar and signifigantly shorting the collars life span.

5. most nylon collar companys/kennels will sew a reflective strip onto the colar, making the anyman more visible if it gets away from u some how

6. nylon comes in a variety or colors.

down falls of nylon
    1. it can be way more abbrasive on your dogs neck, nothing life threatening or dangerous just will most likely rub the hair off under your dogs neck or thin this hair a little

2. u need a 3 ply or more collar to safely secure a wild dog without worry. 2 ply collars will work but wont last as long with a wild dog. some companys/kennels make padded collars just for this reason, but they are more costly

there are the positives and negatives about both leather and nylon, me personally would never own anything but nylon collars.

2. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

good info. I use all nylon collars. Walmart usually has a good deal, 'round $7. Make sure to slip on a stainless steel O'ring for x-tra strength-

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2005
  3. 5555

5555 Pup

leather is nice but in my opinion isnt really a good choice for much of anything but looks.

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I also use nylon equiptment.For my dogs and my horses.You can't beat it.I have nylon equiptment that I have used for 15 years and still kicking.If it's tough enough for horses it's tough enough for my dogs.It doesn't require as much maintanence as leather.I even use nylon saddles.

5. 5555

5555 Pup

wiskey bay,
    i dont know alot about horses besides they destroy about everything they can get ahold of. i just rebuilt a stable barn about 2 months ago that housed only 6 horses and they destroyed damn near the whole place. i basically had to tear almost the whole barn apart and rebuild each stall cause of their chewing. the owner had me treat all the wood in their stalls with some type of stuff to make the wood taste horrible, and i dont blame him, just in wood alone for each stall it cost him close to 350 and that was for rough cut oak that was no were near perfectly straight. but it was heavy ass lumber. hopefully the horses fuck it up agian real soon and i get the call to redo all the stalls again soon. lol i have never seen a dog do as much destruction to their enclosers as these horses did to theirs.

Big River Kennels likes this.
  6. O.D.

O.D. Big Dog

Why Out Of Four Post Only Two Are Visible? Seems Like Bs To Me.

7. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

I use mostly nylon collars here. The leather tends to stretch and if your not watching closely you could have a collar break or a dog slip his head out..

8. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

I also go with the nylon.

O.D. - I don't understand what you are saying but it may the way your c/p is set up. Who you view, check on it..

9. X

X Banned

It is because of your "Reputation-Based Filtering" setting in your control panel. The default setting is "-1" and 5555's reputation level is -8 for some reason. You'll have to click on Options at the top of any page and then click Edit Options. When you get to that page, set the "Reputation-Based Filtering" towards the middle of the page to -300 to see all posts.

10. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

Thanks Shon.I also was only seeing certain posts.Thought I had lost it,finally.

11. 5555

5555 Pup

shon
    i probly have a rep of -8 for putting down on the curfumation and busting on blue staff people who's dog look game and they label them game even though they havent been touch once most likley. basically the same thing i got in trouble for last time when i was a mod.

to everyone that posted. i agree nylon is the way to go hence the reason i wrote the thread. lol

12. hey 5555 i agree wit u on that , (curfurmation) LOL

13. 5555

5555 Pup

thanks texasapbt

14. Norvell57

Norvell57 Top Dog

i get my collars from www.jefferspet.com they are 2 ply two inches wide and double stiched with D ring i think i pay aroud 4 or 5 dollars for them and they are holding up very well for me

15. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

I go to fleet farm and get cow collars for about eight bucks, and just cut them down to size, and melt holes in them very strong !

16. Norvell57

Norvell57 Top Dog

how wide and thick are they

17. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

They are 1 3/4 inch wide and close to 1/4 inch thick.also they have real heavy duty D rings and hardware.

18. 5555

5555 Pup

big guy, can u post a pick of these please, i am currently looking for a new supplier of collars. im looking for 2" minimum of 4 ply nylon with all stainless steel hardware. i was planning on making some, and have suppliers for the material but i heard i would need to buy a special sewing machine. actually ill take a pic of a bunch of the material samples they sent me for free. the stainless hardware isnt as thick as the normal hardware but stainless is way way stronger than the normal harware. pic comming in a few

19. 5555

5555 Pup

here are the product samples i have had for a while. some day when i get the right sewing machine to sew nylon, when i find this i am going to start making 8 ply 2" collars. i have a stainless buckle somewere. just didnt find it at the momment. but here are some pics of the materials samples the supplier sent me a few months ago. that reminds me i should probly buy 300 ft roll of the material and a box of 100 buckles and 100 drings. it will only cost me a 100 bucks for all the supplies and i could make a shit load of collars. they also have this adheasive to permanently bond the layers of nylon together and it is flexible and non degradable. i wonder how long a 2" collar that is about a 1/2 thick will last especially when i use all stainless hardware.

Attached Files:

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

5555, did I hear you correct when you said 8-ply? Isnt this abit overkill, I dont know much about collars other than I use 2 ply for now and later probably 3, 4 tops. 4 is the most Ive ever seen. Wondering why you would add so many layers, are your dogs that hyper,lol.