1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

REALLY long hair

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Iverson's Pits, Apr 26, 2006.

1. so, a buddy has this dog who i've known from birth. his name is Chauncy, and he is 25% game/75% show bred. Anyways...the thing is, hes about 9.5 months old, and there is something wierd going on with his coat. He suddenly turned from a nice dark brown color to this really ugly yellow, and he has a bunch of really dark discoloration spots in his skin, to where it looks like he's misssing hair, but he's not. also, his hair is SOOO frigging long, about 3 times longer than it should be, especially around his neck and tail area. i attached two pics...one as a puppy with no such condition, and another as the hair/skin thing was just starting to begin. i'll try to get a recent one with the condition as bad as it looks now. his vet, who i think is an idiot, says there is absolutely nothing wrong with him....but that cannot be possible....any ideas? oh, and i know the dog looks kinda goofy, so no need for comments on that :)

Attached Files:

2. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I knew of a guy that a had a dog like that but it's hair became even longer and started to get curly. Pretty funny. He hated it. And it was the only dog out of that litter like that.
    I am pretty certain it was a throwback of some mutt that was accidentally let into the gene pool at some point in time.
    I haven't seen the dog in a long time. Someone told me that he hits him up with the clippers now. It may look normal now but it is still a mutt.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2006
  3. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Just my opinion, but I don't think he looks that odd.

4. that's cuz i havent posted a RECENT pic of him...in the second (older) pic i posted...the hair is just starting to become noticably longer and his coat is starting to change colors. you may not notice cuz you dont know the dog...but i will try to get a recent pic of him up soon.

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

OK. post one up and I'll look at it.

6. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

I've never seen a long haired pitbull.Is he supposed to be purebred or mixed?

7. are you sure that dog is not mixed. I have never seen a pit with that long of hair. well Not a fullblooed pit. I have a friend that has a mix with long hair like that.

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Kinda reminds me of my old Pit Bull/Akita mix. (No offense, but she had the thick tail and thick, plushy hair around her neck.) Does the guy know the dog's ped for sure? I mean, is the dog from a reputable person who wouldn't hang papers?

9. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

where's the dog registerted?

10. yes, he is pure. I know both parents and their parents as well. he is the only one in the litter to have this. his hair was normal at a younger age...but its like this condition that keep gettin worse. i wish i could get a hold of him for a pic. that brown color is now a junkyard-dog yellow lookin color with dark spots all over the skin, and hair is growing longer in certain places.

11. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I must really need to get my glasses changed. He doesn't look that bad to me. I think that, because his fur in fuzzy, like a pup, it makes it look different. I bet if you conditioned him and brushed, it would lie flat, shine and look normal. I've seen blue dogs that looked the same way and a white one.

12. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

If you look in the gallery, you'll find more pics like that. Are they all mixed too?

13. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

The dog must be mixed, more than one dog can sire a litter and somewhere in the bloodline there must have been an accident. Papers can be forged, I'm not suggesting that is the case at all, I'm just saying that papers don't always mean much. Pits have one of the sleekest, tightest coats of any dogs and there should not a mane at all. I think it is very safe to assume that this dog has a little of something else in it somewhere. The dog looks mixed to me, if it came into the shelter it would be marked as a pit mix.

14. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

The only explanation I could come up with is that somewhere down the line another breed found its way into the gene pool generations ago.
    How else could this be possible?
    Unless it is some kind of genetic mutation but what are the odds of that? 10 million to 1?.
    Just because all the dogs that you know of looked normal, it does not necessarily mean that there wasn't a cross between a mutt a long time ago.

15. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

My first thoughts was simply "mutt", and I still am leaning towards that, somewhere in the pedigree, probably unknowing to the owner of the dogs.

On the other hand, look at the "ape boys", the old traveling circus side-show acts who were completely covered in hair, face, hands, everywhere. Or even the bearded lady.

16. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

I've seen it before on a real nice paladin bred dog down in florida. He was a real good lookin dog except he was kinda bushy. There is also a picture in one of the Stratton books of a Peterbuilt bred dog that appears to have long somewhat curly hair. I have an 11 month old pup that I bred that ended up with hair that is considerably longer than either of it's parents. I think it's just one of those thing's that pops up from time to time. I do like that dogs structure though, he's got nice legs and a nice square profile.

17. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Am I wrong or are there not very old, well respected game lines that introduced some mixed blood because it helped build on the qualities of what the breeders were breeding for? I don't think that is what happened with this particular dog, but NOVICE made me think of this. Which famus breeder had some dogs for which he did not reveal the ancestory?

18. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

Carver. Good point. And that would explain why a Paladin bred dog might throw something like this. I also noticed that a McCool bred litter had a slightly bushy quality to the hair on some of the pups.

19. no disrespect meant....but please get off the 'mutt' theory. ive seen this exact breeding done more than once, and this is the only dog out of about 26 full siblings like this. im trying to find an explanation as to what is happening to this dog. its progressive. people are getting stuck on the length of hair...but there are also dark brown spots, almost like leisions on his skin, and a complete pigment change to his coat. im searchin online, but cannot find anything. again...if i can get one soon, i'll post a more recent pic.

20. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Alright, the dog should see a vet just in case it's some skin/coat condition. If it's not a health problem than the dog is either, like we said a possible mix, which you are sure it is not, than it is probably some weird genetic mutation which is the other theory. It is one of these three.