1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rawness & irritation?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mike333, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

Rawness & irritation?

My female{Tenny}constantly pulls on the leash.She wears a harness I dont like walking her on a collar because of her pulling all the time it might damage her throat.Recently I saw a red rawish looking spot under her right leg{right where the harness runs}& I was wondering if theyre where any medicines or remedy's to help deal with it.Thanks in adv.[​IMG]Also I plan on properly training her to walk on a lead correctly so hopefully it will avoid things like this in the future.

2. CB

CB CH Dog

Re: Rawness & irritation?

I dont know of Medicines but i would rather my dog to pull the whole time he is walking then to just walk beside me. They get alot better workout but he does choke himself sometimes from going crazy from seeing a cat in the street or something.

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

As long as you have a nice wide collar on (like 2'' or so) then you dont need to worry about him damaging his throat. And as carolinaboy said, its kind of nice to have a dog pull.....it makes working them much easier and faster!

4. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

I like the fact that she pulls it does make working'er easy.Would you recomend going back to the harness after the rawness goes away?Thanks

5. CB

CB CH Dog

I would just go to a collar. A nice 2 inch collar is what you need and if you want to spend a couple more dollars then get a padded collar.

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Honestly, no I wouldnt. If it is causing problems now it will just continue to do so. I really dont know of any added benefit of a harness while walking unless she is also dragging weight or something? Just a nice 2'' wide heavy duty collar (one without a snap mechanism on it) and a nice big O-ring and that is more than sufficent for any dog. ;)

7. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

Yeah,I think I'll get a 2 inch padded collar.Thanks man.

8. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

She was dragging weight but I put that on hault till I get a weight pull harness.Thanks alot rock.

9. CB

CB CH Dog

Yeah i wouldnt drag weight's with a standard walking harness. To much pressure on the lower arms i would think.