1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Raw Paws

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BRONXXX, Dec 29, 2009.

1. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Heres a few pics of my pups paw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of her paws are red like this, but this one more so than the others(which is the one she limps on)...

She has been limping off and on for a few months only on one leg and after many vet visits, tests, xrays, and months of limited or no exercise for the pup, the vets diagnosis was growing pains...:rolleyes:

Just the other week, I noticed her licking in between her toes after play time and I am guessing that is contributing to what is going on...

I had a post earlier about supplements for a dogs paws, do you think something like that would be helpful for this situation?

Any opinions on the cause or treatment? :confused:

2. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

P.S.

I forgot to mention also, the vet gave me anti inflammatory medicine which seemed to help initally (but im guessing because the medication also has a pain reliever in it) and more recently prescribed me a shampoo to use on the pup once a week (which hasnt improved things at all)

3. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

how old is the pup? and what type of environment is it playing on?

4. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

What are you feeding the pup? Might be an allergic reaction!

5. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I'm with STPFAN on this. It sounds like an allergic reaction exacerbated by stress. The limited exercise thing can sometimes cause more harm than good, even when dealing with feet. I'm not saying run the dog into the ground or anything, but if you're crating a lot to help keep her quiet, for example, that kind of inactivity and boredom can start or exacerbate a vicious cycle of licking feet 'til they're sore, licking the feet because they're sore, making that worse, and so on and so on. I am not a vet, so I'm wary about giving medical/veterinary advice, however, when foot problems occur here regular cleaning with a little betadine, dressing with a good topical oitment and keeping the dog tied to me or close by, so I can make sure to correct any licking helps pretty quickly. When I can't watch, no-bite cream on the foot AROUND the sore, not on it, and a good chew-toy alternative slows them down with the licking for five extra minutes. But, check your food/allergies and stress levels first. And frankly, if your vet isn't helping after such a long time and so many test, get another opinion elsewhere.

6. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Just one more thing that just hit me, look into this condition (Atopy) with your vet and your dog's breeder---http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm

I often find that giving a dog's ear canals a good smell can tell a lot about overall health/allergies/etc. If there's that smell...I can't describe it, but it smells like infected ears for no good reason. Also take a critical look at the hair around the eyes. It is a little easier to spot subtle hair loss around the eyes and lips in darker dogs, but if you have, or have had a few dogs you can see a difference. Again, I am no vet, but this is kind of a been there/done that thing for me and I know how frustrating it can be, especially if you take care of your dog and its skin just doesn't look that way despite your best efforts. Good luck.

7. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

She is about a year old now and she mainly plays on grass.

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppy

Great advice! Thank you :)

8. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i had this very thing happen once before- turned out to be feed related

9. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Were you able to pinpoint what ingredient was causing it and you worked around it? or did you make a entire change in feed?

10. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

it was science diet

11. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

HAHA!

looks like im making a change in feed tonight, thanks for the input!

12. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

just remember to make it a gradual transition

13. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Definately. :D

14. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

My Duchess littermate (male) had grass alergies. had to whipe is paws down with som med wipes after he was in the grass..... Check that out.

Vic

15. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

I'd really look into finding another vet.Along with diet,corn and chicken seem to be the most common triggers, has you dog been walking on salted sidewalks?Scratch that just saw you are in Cali

16. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

If my pup had an allergy to grass I would think it would be apparent all over her body, not just her paws yeah? :confused:

17. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Yup, no salted sidewalks here hah

18. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

it wasn't with my dogs brother and the front right paw was usualy a bit worse.... i wiuld look into it.

Vic

19. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Definately will, thanks!

20. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009