1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Raw food recipes?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dunlap, May 15, 2007.

1. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Anyone have some good raw diet recipes? I'm wanting to get away from dry, store bought food and know was is really going into my dogs...

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Raw lamb or chicken, cooked brown rice a potatoe and a few carrots.

3. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

What about any "extras" added in there . . . like supliments or vitamins maybe? I'll probaly be going with hamburger meat and chicken...

4. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Just remember low carbs.

5. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Beef is not easily digested by dogs,chicken and lamb would probably be better tolerated.Probably cheaper too.

6. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

7. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Anyone else care to share their own recipes?

8. lunadogge

lunadogge Pup

I have been feeding a prey model diet for about 4 yrs now. There are no recipes only the following model-- 70-80% meat, 10-15% bone, and 10-15% organ (Liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas) with half of that being liver. Things like heart is a muscle meat but highly nutritous like an organ. A nother great thing to feed if you can get it is green tripe (unbleached stomach. not the same as what u find in the store). Variety is the key in a raw diet and feeding the percentages over time, no need to do it daily. Here is a good webstie with some great links -- http://www.rawfeddogs.net/.

Jon

9. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm here's one link. Go to google and type in barf diet, or b.a.r.f. diet barf 101 something of the sort. And you will get a whole lot of extra info as far as what to feed, what not to feed, recipies, everything. or pitbullforum.com and look up barf as well and man it's got it all.

10. dogged

dogged Big Dog

I feed the same way. Simple, effective. Only supplement I add is salmon oil when I'm not feeding wild foods.

11. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

WAIT, cooked rice, potatoes and carrots, BUT ADD RAW CHIX & LAMB? Just curious......I thought u had to cook the meat as well....

12. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I feed this as well. I add eggs, kelp powder, salmon oil, yogurt & cottage cheese as well. I alternate days, they don't get all of this each day. I feed NO GRAINS & NO veggies. Some people feed veggies, IMO if you feed grains of any kind, you may as well feed kibble.

13. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

No you do not cook the meat, the veggies have to be pureeed ( even if they are cooked) because dogs cannot digest them otherwise.

14. lunadogge

lunadogge Pup

I forgot to add that I do add fish oil when the food is not wild or pasture finished. I get the caps from costco (good for me and the dogs) and just add one per ten lbs of body weight. Eggs are great as well. I will only give yogurt if they have loose stools and I will add canned pumpkin to this as well, this happens maybe once a year. The best thing to do when you start feeding a raw diet go slow. Choose an easy to diegest meat and bone like chiken and don't start adding organs for about a week or two and then take that slow too. Some dogs have trouble switching, they get loose stools for a while ( about a week) so you want to go easy on there stomachs. Other dogs switch with no problem.