1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Raw Fish?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by norcalreds.com, Nov 13, 2009.

1. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

I was wondering if raw fish is safe for my dogs? Of course it is gutted and cleaned. I also freeze it to kill off any parasites. My dogs eat a combo of kibble and raw chicken, beef, turkey necks, and I've given them raw fish on a couple occasions. I've checked on other forums and there's always a mixed review. Some say yes it's fine... other's say no way. I just wanna be sure before I do it again. They seemed perfectly fine the first time with no changes in there stool!

2. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

I have before but never again, only fish I will feed now is jack mack. Be careful as to what kind of fish it is, pacific northwest salmon and trout are very dangerous if feed raw. The carry some type of bacteria that can harm dogs, forgot what it was called but look it up. I said pacific northwest cause if your close to what your handle says, I'm sure some of that gets shipped down by you. Frezzing doesn't kill all bacteria.

3. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

Thanks Mac!:) I know about the salmon and trout. I probably wont feed the fish until I get more info! I wanna make sure!

4. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Thanks for this post. Could the zinc and mercury in the fish, if given too much, be toxic to the dogs?

5. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

only fish i have fed is catfish and other than worming often i had no problems

6. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i used to feed Atlantic Mackerel back when i lived in NE. it was f.a.s. so there was no worries about bacterias and such.
    the rule of thumb i have always heard is freshwater is ~risky~ ( due to mercury) while saltwater is safe ( provided it was Frozen At Sea or cycled at home)

7. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

Was the catfish caught by you or was it from the store? the fish that I gave my dogs was caught by me. It was a channel cat. I gutted cleaned and filleted it and gave my dogs roughly bout half pound each of the fillet. They loved it and there was no problem with there stool afterwards.

8. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Not sure about either, but there is some type of bacteria that lives inside the fish, and it has nothing to do with the zinc or the mercury.

9. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

i caught it out of a pond behind my house, i never gave A LOT of fish just a little now and then

10. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

11. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Why are you gutting and cleaning it? I thaw fish to a cuttable, semi-frozen state (even finicky dogs that don't like raw fish will accept it that way) and feed everything but the fins and tail to the dogs. Guts, heads and backbones are where the value is in a fish. Just cut down the whole thing to bite sized pieces that work for your dogs and your patience.

12. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

13. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

Raw fish can be dangerous if given alot of it. and depending what type of fish to. What i would be more concerned with would be mercury, here is a site that tells you what fish to stay away from. "mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system" Feeding fish to your pups, or pregnant bitches (talkin about dogs of course) could be very dangerous.
    The bigger the fish, the longer its lived the MORE mercury he has become in contact with. Just some FOOD FOR THOUGHT;)

http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/fish/advice/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009