1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

raw feeding

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by powder925, Jul 7, 2010.

1. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

no problem

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

Here are the ingredients to Timberwolf wild and natural dry canid formula

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Herring Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat, Dried Chicken Liver, Sweet Potatoes, Herring Oil, Eggs, Kelp, Alfalfa Sprouts, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, Carrots, Celery, Beets, Dried Whey, Casein, DL-Methionine, Sea Salt, Taurine, Carnitine, Glucosamine, Lecithin, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Bacillus Subtillus, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera, Rosemary Extract.

and here are the ingredients to one RAW meal:

chicken quarter with or without skin (some traces of organs usually still attached)
    chicken feet
    beef (usually in a form of some kind of steak)
    green tripe
    hole egg including shell
    cow kidney
    turkey heart, liver, gizzard
    kelp
    salmon oil
    apple cider vinegar
    cottage cheese or plane yogurt
    a base vegetable mix

personally you can keep the dog food I like knowing whats in my dogs bowl and guess what I dont have to worry about some jerk off pet food industry switching the formula on me :cool:. Oh and I can easily adjust the amount of whatever I want depending on my dogs performance. No preservatives no scratching my head while looking at the ingredients of the dog foog bag saying WTF is this? None of that. I know where the meat came from I can change my protein sources without making my dog sick and I dont have to worry about some recall that I MIGHT hear about in time before my dog dies from salmonella poisoning from shitty ingredients in dog food.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2010
  3. act284

act284 Big Dog

still waiting on texas' premium kibble food of choice...

4. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yeah we really need to see this one after all this blabber on premium kibble, maybe texas is researching to see which is best and is just going to reply with that lmao....

5. act284

act284 Big Dog

2 days later and I guess the "premium kibble" doesnt exist....knew it was too good to be true

6. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yeah we can clearly scratch out that madness now

7. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Nah, he'll show up and post something as soon as you think this thread is done with lol.

8. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

haha well as far as I am concerned I have had more then enough by now the thread became dusty for his bs ;) but your probably right he'll be back sometime :rolleyes:

9. act284

act284 Big Dog

i just wanted to try his kibble on my dogs...maybe hes right...i guess not

he may possibly be doing more research? either way, sounds like all bs for now

10. Are some of you that idiotic as to not see Texasbulldogs' posts where he mentioned 2 premium kibbles?!? Heck, I only glanced at one prepared raw food meal just now, and hadn't seen anybody else with their collage-of-different-raw-meat-and-supplements-in-a-bowl meal. Nobody can step to the plate and give their meal with specific detail of nutritional analysis on it because they can't!

Are you raw feeders not concerned about balance? As TB put it, and with general knowledge of nutrition, how do you ANY of you all know what is out of whack being too much, too less, and even missing? How would you know any of that if you don't know how to achieve balance from the get-go?

To one guy that typed he fed a premium kibble and said he smelled odor, please! He never mentioned which food he fed, and I've fed a different number of them and never complained about smell because their isn't.

Tartar - have one dog at 3 years with no tartar build-up at all. I will admit, from my own eyes of knowing what other dogs were fed, that cheap quality food will cause build-u[ more quickly than a premium one. Heck, I work at a vet clinic and have to do the dentals on these Science Diet fed mutts.

11. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Yeah we saw the two "premium" kibble you, *ahem* I meant texasbulldogs, mentioned. Sorry, I got you two confused for a minute there. You couldn't pay me to feed either one of those to my dog. Plus, that's not what everyone is asking. They are asking what he personally feeds.

Both of you seem to be basing your argument on nutritional balance. Kibble is safer because it meets AAFCO standards and raw doesnt. You do realize that AAFCO has changed its requirements over the years right? It's constantly evolving which means a once "premium" food can become inadequate overnight. Their feeding trials are a joke and definitely do not test a foods long term performance.

Whereas a raw diet, if fed properly, has worked for hundreds of thousands of years for our dogs' ancestors. You say the dog has evolved to eat processed food. No, evolution takes a long time. Much longer than the 150 years you claim dog food has existed. Canis lupus familiaris is designed to eat a carnivorous diet, not a grain and/or vegetable based one. In the wild, fruits and vegetation only make up about 10% of a canine diet. They mainly feed on carrion and small game.

I am concerned about balance, but to me, the standards AAFCO has in place does not mean anything except that it will "sustain" a dog. I don't want my dog to be feed a overly processed food, full of things it cannot digest, that will merely "sustain life" ...I want her to thrive. So I'm going to feed her as close to what her cousins in the wild eat.

Unfortunately, I am not home during her feeding time due to work, so Evo will have to do for now. On my days off, I feed whole prey mice, rats, quail, chicken, guinea pigs, chicks, and rabbits. I have fed meats before but I believe its hard to balance natural ratios when doing this.

12. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepQ1A3T62E[/ame]

simpel as hell:D:p:)

13. Well, if the members want to know what he's feeding then they'll have to wait and see if he answers it.

I haven't based my nutritional value on the AAFCO. I never took that into consideration when picking a food to feed. Honesty, I didn't know they changed their requirements, as you put, over the years. I would like to see them if you can provide information on it. However, I do check for formula changes in the foods I feel are worthy of feeding. I don't see how the AAFCO standards would alter a company's ingredients profile just to meet it. That's just me, though.

I don't argue that canines evolved on a raw diet over the years and etc. You put it yourself, if fed properly (meaning balanced, right?), that it will mirror the natural diet of those in the wild. My thing is, though, how can one say that some different types of meat, organs, and such put together that doesn't a whole prey model say it's better than a premium kibble that is balanced?

I understand wanting to feed as closely resembled as possible and feeding whole prey model diets, but like TB put it, if they're not fed what would resemble what nature provides, then how is it accurate? And as you put it, feeding separate meats make it harder to balance, and the whole prey model takes the guess work out for you. For those that don't feed whole prey, I strongly believe all of them fall very short.

Why feed something with 40+% protein in dry, kibble form? The protein in raw feeding isn't anywhere that high at all. What foods would you consider to be "premium" kibble?

14. beanieman

beanieman Banned

15. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Nike, the reason I feed Evo is because of the ingredients. As I've stated before, this is the only food that my dog stopped seizing on. She almost died from having cluster seizures and being over-mediated. So, in my case, Im sure you can justify someone feeding Evo. Seizure free for a year and couldn't be happier.
    Evo is definitely very rich in nutrients so I feed less than I would of other foods. I just soak it in water to help her feel fuller rather than stuff her with carbs like most kibble do.

I went to go find some info on AAFCO changes and I could not find them. It seems I got it mixed up with the NRC, which is where AAFCO originally pulled their nutritional standards from. I apologize for that. The nutrient requirements for dogs was established by the NRC in 1985 and was revised in 2006.

The rest of my post is not directed at anyone in particular, just more of a rant.

People seem to find security in having a "complete and balanced" food-like substance, as I like to put it, lol. This statement on pet foods is governed entirely by AAFCO. They have minimums and maximums for nutrients, which vary greatly. However, their guidelines do not take into account vitamin and mineral interactivity. So it is more than possible for pets to get deficiencies or be over-supplemented on kibble.

16. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

what do you guys feed in your raw diet to give some extra energy during a keep or conditioning program

17. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

bump..........

18. pitbullkid86

pitbullkid86 Big Dog

Fruit has natural sugars but there are some fruits your dogs can't have. I also heard a little honey doesn't hurt either.

19. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Frankly, I avoided answering this post and adding to this thread because most of what was written here amounts to politely-put dumb-shit.

I'm not a collage in the bowl feeder. I simply try my best to feed quality meats with the proper bone type and ratios. I keep it clean. I keep it simple. I keep it manageable.

As for dog-shit not stinking,...one must be an idiot or lack a sense of smell to think that dog shit doesn't have a smell.
    What I will say, however, is that ask anyone here that has fed raw consistently if they notice a difference in the smell of their' dogs' urine, feces, coat and breath on raw as compared with kibble or canned.

Many of us here that have been around a few dogs can often tell just what a kennel is feeding from the minute we step through the front gate.
    Dogs are what they eat, and they smell like it. You are welcome to scoff at the idea that there is a difference. It it your prerogative to laugh heartily at the idea that ordinary folks with a little common sense, a willingness to plan a little more, a sharp knife and a couple scales might actually be able to provide better food at a better price with better overall results than they can by scooping from a bag and convincing themselves of all the quality baked in and vitamins added. Go right ahead. But, until you've done it well for a few weeks and see the results for yourself, there's probably no convincing you or anyone else. You just have to see for yourself. And frankly, as long as you don't go around bullshitting folks and trying to tell them that chicken shit and chicken feathers with vitamins added is a protein souce superior to chicken meat,...you're welcome to your opinion.

20. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

More chicken.