1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

raw feed

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by scottyh, Sep 10, 2009.

1. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

just fed my dog her first raw meal she loved it:D it consisted of half a cup of kibble a chiken leg 2 pieces of broccoli and 2 tea spoons of natural yogurt im gin 2 add salmon oil and bea pollen wiv some chiken giblets (gizzards) does that sound appropriate whilst trying to condition her ????????:D

2. zarna

zarna Big Dog

, try putting your vegies through a juicer or food processor to mash them up a bit, dogs will digest them better and get more goodness out of them. good luck

3. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

will do thanks for the advice do u think the portion was enuff i think shes about 32kg

4. zarna

zarna Big Dog

depends on how often you are feeding your dog and how often you are working her, vary the size of her meals. if you think you need too.

5. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

Did you feed raw and kibble at the same time?If you did,be careful she may have some stomach troubles.I feed kibble in the AM and raw in the PM

Good luck:)

6. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I would suggest that you feed any kibble and raw foods at separate meals. The fillers/ingredients in most kibbles often require dogs to drink a lot of water in order to process the foods. Raw fed dogs don't usually drink as much as those fed kibble. I know raw food dogs that drink very little, except under exercise/warm weather condtions, etc.
    Mixing the two food sources can cause all kinds of messy reactions/accidents.

As for if that is enough for your dog to work on, only you would know that after about three weeks on the new diet. Just remember that you don't condition with a food scoop, although a lot of people would seem to think so. Scoop/weghing to the gram are only guides. The only way to really know is to start keeping a logue, and an honest and critical eye on the physical looks of the dog (coat quality, nail quality, weight, tone) as compared to stamina, attitude, work output.

Just be patient and commited to the task. After all, improvement takes time, decline happens fast as hell.

7. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

Awesome comment!

I do feed my dog a small amount of kibble a raw meat at the same time and never had a problem, but yes it may not work with all dogs.

8. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

do a search for raw diets that Buck E. owens and someone else had.. I would have to say that was one of the best threads on raw diets:cool:

9. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

10. Feeding a dog Raw and Kibble...no matter if they're during separate meals or not is just like saying you're on a diet in the day time, but are going to eat junk food and cheeseburgers at night. Are you still getting the benefits of the "diet" you are on ???

I see no reason to un-do the positives a raw diet brings to your dog by ALSO feeding the dog kibble.

Its like wiping your butt before you poop! Just don't make sense. :o

11. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

Would'nt that depend on what kibble you are using? they are not all bad, the one i use is chicken and brown rice http://www.burnspet.co.uk/dog/chicken_brown_rice.asp . I feed half a tea cup mixed with raw meat. I see no ill effects whatsoever. in fact since I have been feeding it energy levels have gone right up. I soak the kibble in some broth first.

12. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

Research and good luck with it....stick with it and you will be happy in the long run :)

13. bkwil

bkwil Pup

14. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thanks. Sometimes I occasionally forget to take the turkey necks out of the freezer I have to feed kibble myself, and I have no problem adding in a little egg, meat, whatever. So don't get me wrong.

However, I have seen odd things happen with dogs that are regularly combo-fed; losing tuck, distended stomachs, explodopooh, etc.
    Personally, I encourage occasionally tweaking diets. changing things, and not being so obsessive about feeding that dogs get sensitive stomachs that go out of whack if they eat half carrot extra. But, when starting out with the raw thing I find it best to just keep the kibble out of the mix and see how your dog reacts to the new food on its own.

15. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

Good advice thanks.

16. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

i got green tripe and chiken necks going 2 garnish with brockly juice and salmon oil sound nice:D

17. I FORGET TO THAW THEIR FOOD AT LEAST 3-4 TIMES A WEEK. :o

BUT MY DOGS DON'T CARE IF IT IS FROZEN SOLID OR THAWED...IT STILL GETS DEMOLISHED.

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I was told never feed pork, and when i asked why i got the answer:

"Do you ever see pork on the bags of dog food?, there is Lamb and Chicken ,Beef, Bison. But never Pork!" (this fellow trains dogs in Wales for cops) (rescue dogs, to perp. stoppers) "my ma's cousin"

but I have also "heard" it can give them parasites, and stomach problems......and so on, ..........but could be wrong:o

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
  19. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Dogmen been feeding both raw meat and kibble for decades (especially in keeps)....nothing wrong with it! Don't believe the hype fellas!:cool:

YIS

20. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I know Ive heard that too but I cant remember from where or why.
    An interesting fact to add onto the above is that Science Diet uses pork meal in their foods... take that for what its worth.

As for feeding raw, I am puzzled as to why anyone would add fruits or veggies??? Especially if you're adding it to kibble, which already has these things to help bind the meat together in the cooking process. Dogs are carnivores. They do not need anything other than meat. While dogs have come very far from wolves, they still have the same digestive system and are not built to digest and utilize these things like omnivores can.