1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rabbit Meat Diets

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

sooo... whats up wit it :biggrin2:

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Kk Workin on it now:D!

3. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Hide stretchers to make your own spring pole hides, you will have lots of them feeding rabbits. Cure with salt and sunshine
    [​IMG]

Built these with a 50' roll of (1'' x 1/2'' wire) (a 4' wide roll x 50') for bottom, and 15'' high by 50' roll of baby saver they call it,(or you will have to fip baby rabbet heads out of the wire thats only 1'' , and they never really survive that i'm told. so baby saver it is!

I would just built it 's back with 20'' tall x 8' sheets x2 long. and build cages 20'' high x 4' deep x 15'' wide each rabbit run, the roof i did plywood to to cut cost, and feeders and water nipples also, but its cheaper than all wire and the wire will be able to be changed to new hutch after it wore out!

[​IMG]

these trays are a sweet set up, but run plastic vapor barrier up the back of the wall behind cage and Frame with 2''x2'' wood, then make it angle to one side also and replace when worn, save your money it will work for long enough to justify doing it ;) and it again cuts the cost

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

4 rabbits ground, with 4 old laying hens and half a pound of pork fat, and ground beef even, its cheap, easily replenished and 1/8 the cost of feeding 10 dogs a month, with a little extras here and there thrown in also ,

A lot of good ideas have been thrown in so far. Chicken thighs and backbones and pork necks . And sheep to goat meat meat to help out weigh the leanness of the meat.

5. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Looks good Buck. You ever finish the mill you were making?

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

got the spl;it rims , can't find the inline skates cheap enough, need a case of 120 wheels @ 72mm , i have the a-bec7 bearings and 6'' split rims and fire hose for the belt, but need the inline skate wheels, also i just got my welder hooked up at the new shop, bigger work space!

7. Ctnz

Ctnz Pup

This project sounds like a great idea to get your dogs higher quality meat cheaper, but how long does it take to get the dog use to eating it? Also, what would you think about wild Jack rabbits. I hunt them a lot and I can never get my dogs to eat them.

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i got a video of my older dog , and you can see he wants rabbit already, the pups eat raw meat already with kibble too.

weird? try catching a live one and keep it in a hutch on the yard they should gain interest in the rabbits then , feed a dead one to them, they might catch on.

9. Ctnz

Ctnz Pup

I'll try it out next month when I go hunting. good luck with your project.

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

if they start to view it as that squirrel thing , then they probably will not mind eating it.

like a deer leg at first it don't look that great to a house dog , but it does start looking good, pretty quick!

11. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

$14 Alive is a great price!!! Let me know if you ever have any extras if you ever pass thru Michigan LOL, meat rabbits are 3 times that much around here.

12. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

Hit up the Michigan 4-H fair. You can pick up junior bucks and does pretty cheap then.

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

that is a good idea , if there past 4-6 months there worth it !! thats breeding age, about 4 months from breeding, you will have 7-8 a litter to feed.

14. redbill

redbill Big Dog

this time a year my son brings back quite a few rabbits from his hunting trips. some we eat ourselves and the rest feeds the dogs.
    great free food:D
    [​IMG]

hung ready to skin.
    [​IMG]

tools i use. sharp knife and bone cutters
    [​IMG]

ready for butchering
    [​IMG]

one cut up into handy size pieces. only takes 2 mins to do.
    [​IMG]

adult dogs get the saddle, ribs n necks. i leave all the offal in. hearts, lungs, liver, kidneys etc.
    [​IMG]

younger dogs/pups get the front and back legs. i brake all the bones in the legs as its very easy with the bone cutters and the young ones get them down no trouble at all.
    [​IMG]

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

sweet set up, those cutters are probably easier than a cleaver. do you use the hides for your dogs?

16. redbill

redbill Big Dog

yes much easier than the clever.
    i just bin the skins

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I figure you tie up 3 hides on the spring pole or, in front of the mill or on the jenny, but they will be abundant when you feeding them all the time, ;)

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

19. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

thanks again Buck

20. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

my bad brother, i moved it on you!
    :D had to put it back!