1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rabbit Meat Diets

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

btw are you gonna use the plans you posted on at the start of the thread?

2. LOL Sounds like you don't know wtf you feed when you post shit like this. Now all of a sudden you're mr nutrition. lololololol Can anybody say poser?

3. blanch

blanch Big Dog

sounds like a good idea,i thought the tape worms life cycle was 3 weeks and thats how long you freeze them for?also i imagine tame rabbits will have more fat on them than wild ones,good luck with it anyway

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

so i finished all 7 cages, had four rabbit breeders tell me they had no rabbits so I'm buyin up all large rabbits in the paper, will post pics today for sure have ton's!

Got a ton of equipment from my old rabbit raising Buddie! Wire, water's Feeders and urine guard for the woods cages also!!

5. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

some what i did, and i adjusted the plans to conserve the wire 3 side's wire including the bottom, and the rest plywood!;)

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

there is 126 pics of the build so beware!!! lol, too many to load up on G-D.com

I put them on photobucket, check them out here!
    http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr18/BrindleHideKennels/Rabbit%20SetUp/

i got pic's of the rack i am closing in for the "rabbit hut", feeders and water-er's, and automatic water set ups for the summer months , and other crap i used that was kicking around to build these hutches. it really doesn't matter what you use as long as.....

They don't get out, Something don't get In, they have water and food all the time(especially the feeder rabbits), and that they are protected from extreme heat and elements, but other than that they are easy enough to house,

I will stress that the wire bottom is the most sanitary and carefree way of housing them( prevents worms), and disease.

ANd after 5-6 mos each rabbit must have at least a (15'' High X 24'' Wide and 30'' Long)cage and a doe will raise 8 '"kits"(babies) in the a single cage till weaned.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  7. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

8. Super Sport

Super Sport Big Dog

Looks good, How much you have invested in it so far? If you don't mind me asking, and is that as many as you are going to build? How many rabbits will that house? Also will they chew the plywood? Sorry for so many questions but I find this interesting, especially with the abundance of rabbits that don't make the grade after the local livestock shows here.

9. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

ha, i wanna know too

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

to build the cages i saved money by doing the bottom and front wire the back and outside sides of plywood along with the back and roof!

All Wire, Feeders and Waterer's were gifts from a old rabbit raising buddy, and the wood was free from a construction site, co about 1 box of Screws and a 50 lbs. box of coiled 2'' nails for the nail gun. so about $50 so far with gas.

But you hunt around and you can find all you need for cheap or free! The Slatmills, samething someone was going to scrap the metal, and i have a use for it and a good place to store my "junk", till i construct something use full to me or the dogs. But its all who you know, and make friends with locally;)

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

these cages are (2' Deep x 30'' wide x 20 ''H)

[​IMG]

I would build cages (4' long X 20'' Wide X 15''-20'' High)

(It only needs to be 15'' but i made them taller) Cause i never thought of stacking them, with waste trays under them. Till after!)

I will post a pick of the best way to build them tonight!

12. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Looks great!

Just watch the temps in summer, rabbits aren't very heat tolerant and being boxed in with all the plywood doesn't give much air circulation.

I noticed in the pic labeled "buck hutch" there isn't plywood separating the males from eachother. Just wanted to let you know males have been known to fight through the wire.

One useful thing I found at Tractor Supply was an adaptor kit to use 2 liter bottles for waterers. Cost $2.99 and you don't have to keep buying the whole bunny bottle every time they chew through them or when they crack plus I've never had a rabbit drink 2 liters in one day lol. Not to mention you can just switch out frozen bottles in the winter; saves a lot of time.

They cages look good, can't wait to see rabbits in them!

13. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

Make sure you have mats for them to get off of the wire when they wish. You'll get lame rabbits that way from sore/swollen hocks. They don't have feet pads so it's hard on them to be on wire constantly.

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

yeah thos adapters for the 2 L pop bottles are like .80 cents a piece too! just havn't ordered them, but fot the summer i'm going to be doing the 5gal. bucket and waterlines like the "pig nipple style" i think they call it.

I have metel flashing to go on all plywood, but havn't got a good way to cut it without leaving a sharp edge. So have to wait but its old flashing from a house, 2' x 6 ' strip , I have to cut it down to make a 6'' lip to cover the plywood for urin gaurd, but it should be good for fightting Bucks, I was going to put the buck in the middle and too does on the out side cages, I'm only keeping 1-2 Bucks incase one dies.

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

the doors are 10'' x 10'' so i can make ply wood slabs 12''x8'' to aid in that, but they get a nest box thats 10'' x 12'' x 6 ''H for safe warm place to have kits.

thats a good point tho they need to be content and comfy, to do well!

16. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Sounds like you've got everything covered, good luck getting all those cages filled!

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Picked up 2 Does yesterday;)

pics coming soon. he told me they were 2 bucks, and i got 2 does.
    :D

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bad case of earmite tho. mineral oil clears that up quick tho!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

other than the dark one having ear mites the 2 males i picked up turned out to be females, and they are in good heath and breeding age now also, there not California whites of New Zealand Whites but that's all that's in my area these days till a couple months from now when about 4 other meat rabbit breeders said they would contact me when they had more stock for sale, I guess rabbits are rare here now meat ones anyway!, but if i drive 3 hours away i can get breeder stock at 12 weeks of age for $14 A PIECE LIVE!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  19. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

20. I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but isn't rabbit meat a very lean meat???
    I thought I read or was told that it is.
    Which is AWESOME, actually, but a lot of people find they have to feed MORE of it because it is so lean.

Furry and FAST. Ella would be ALL OVER some rabbit!