1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rabbit Meat Diets

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

[​IMG]
    Yout could do it out of Angle Iron or 2x4 lumber, but the bottom has to be (1/2'' x 1'' wire mesh).

So I was thinking of building these hutches to raise Meat Rabbits for feeders. You would need 15 Doe's and 2 Buck Rabbits(so you don't burn him out, 1 male can properly service about 10 doe's) to Produce 5 feeder rabbits a day.
    • (You would build 4 Hutches like this to house 15 Doe's,2 Buck's & there litters)
    So thats where my questions start,.... would a 50lb dog eat a 1/4, 1/2, 1 whole Rabbit?, along with the added soft boiled eggs and vitamines and lard?
    Cause i was just thinking buy a Grinder and Burger Pattie Maker, and Freeze.

If any one has suggestions on what you would add to a diet of pure Rabbit , Organs Bones and all. Or if you think it would be complete enought? If you ever fed solely Rabbit , I would love to hear your experiences too.

Thanks Buck.

Also here are some Notes my Rabbit Farming Buddie told me.

(i forgot the Rabbits are about 5-51/2 lbs. @ 12 weeks of age , (culling age).)

Notes

• Buck's are brought to Doe's Cage for Breeding to Prevent Fight( He Recomended too!!)
    • Each Doe gets here own cage.
    • You can cull feeder Rabbits at 12 weeks of age (5-51/2lbs)(Breed: California Whites, or New Zealand Whites)
    • 6 mos. Does are Breeding age
    • 1 mos. Gestation Period(Does)
    • You can Be-Breed Doe's (4 weeks after litter weaned)
    • Weaned litters @6 weeks of age( litter gets there own hutch (as a group) till 12 weeks of age)
    • Doe's will birth average of 8-9 a litter, for 2 yrs.(and eat 1 cup of ration a day approx.)
    • Also if you bought 6 mos. old Doe's you wouldn't have to wait for them to mature, to start producing feeders.

2. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

3. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

I think its a good idea my dog ate rabbit for like a week. Only thing is I think u would have to supplement more fats maybe rabbit n pork would work well. Rabbit around conditioning times sounds like it would be better than other meats.

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

5. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Let me know how it works for you. I've been thinking about breeding food rabbits myself. I've been trying to work out a deal with a friend who has more space to build the runs, do the major cleaning, and kill them, in exchange for using her land and having her feed and water. Any which way you slice it, rabbits are work; especially in winter.

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

You could put these ,4 hutches in a 15'x15' shed, and they would heat it them selves in Canadian Winter, enough to keep the water from freezing! As long as the sides are protected from the weather and drafts.

I was going to built a 3 sided little 'lean-too' building. nothing fancy, just enought to shelter the hutches from the eliments, If you parked a wheel barrow behind the hutch it would catch the majority of the waste. to aid in cleaning and caring for them.

7. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Rabbits are extremely low in fat. Considering that a working dog on a raw diet burns fat for fuel you would still have to feed meat with a higher fat content or supplement with fats. I wouldnt feed just rabbit. Rabbit is a good meat to rotate into a raw diet but not on its own without a lot of extra fat. You would be better off raising chickens if you wanted a better all around diet and you can get eggs as well as meat. No problem raising rabbits too as a supplement to the chickens.

8. Jrouble

Jrouble Big Dog

I used to feed whole rabbits, fur and all, im talking 100% whole, just bonked over the head or necks busted once every 2 days during the week, then hit them with a venison meal on Saturdays, and a Pork meal on Sundays with an egg and some other vitamins. 4 of my hunting dogs lived on that for over 3 years and were in the best shape of their lives.

Tip: Try to grass feed your rabbits instead of grain or pellet feed, then you don't have to worry about green tripe on the weekends.

Also if you want to increase your output, use 3 bucks, spreading them over less does = higher sperm count due to lower breeding rate = higher litter yields per doe (subsequent to egg numbers obviously) - but thats a general rule of thumb. You should get at least 1 - 3 extra out of the litters, down the road, if you work it on a 1:5 or 1:7 ratio instead of a 1:10.

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Good to know Thanks!

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

For 20-30 dogs how many chickens would you have to raise! To provide for a year?

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

so what is the deal with Green Tripe?:confused:

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Each hutch holds 6 rabbits or (6 litters till 12 weeks old) 1 litter per cage)

13. popper

popper CH Dog

damn not a bad idea.... how hard would it be to raise rabbits ? i think i would just give em a whole rabbit maybe 2 a week. pretty good idea. also not bad about the chickens . i have a uncle who raises em , i ll have to ask em , plus you can get eggs also

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Cause around here they are selling rabbits for $25(for 6-8 week olds) but they can be bought cheaper and more mature at sale barns and livestock autions, and don't have to be special rabbits these are the *comercial meat kinds i was talking about.(so they might be a fattier rabbits then say a wild or just average rabbit meat)(**something to look in to tho!) ,

but to feed you own stock(of rabbits) would run maybe $50-60 a month to feed, maybe a little more when your hutches are full with litters and breeders.

But to feed 20-30 dogs Under $100-150 a month is peanuts compared to my kibble bill, and as long as its nutritious enough for the dogs even if supplimented with more fat or not. I just want them off kibble ASAP, and make it easier on bill wise and save more money for other needed things for the yard.

15. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

If you join a raw co-op, you can get a lot of things (including pre-killed rabbits) for really inexpensive. We pick up a 40# box of chicken necks and backs for about $0.15-$0.20/per pound. During hunting season, we talk to the folks that process the deer carcasses and get meat from them and the local butchers are really awesome about having deals or knowing the dogs and giving us deals.

16. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

I've been a raw advocate for years and feed rabbit in the winter when they all come out around where I live. Its a good food for the dogs, I also give it to them whole. I think raising rabbits for food is an interesting idea, And worth looking into.
    Lately i've been feedin squirrel, one a day per dog, whole. I've been eating them too, I noticed when I gutted one that they also get infested with large round worms, But I worm regularly so it hasn't really been a problem. The dogs love um raw and whole tho

17. popper

popper CH Dog

yea i just recently cwitched mine to raw? what made you decicde to wnna get off of kibble ? anything in particular

18. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Buck, I'm not sure what the deal is with domestic rabbits and tapeworms but wild rabbits are often riddled with it. I'd recommend freezing for 3weeks or worming monthly.

Looks good though. I had this idea a few weeks ago when A lot of rabbits were being sold cheap. Just don't have the time or space for it.

People who do feed rabbit give it whole (Some remove any combination of head/guts/feet others leave it) The fur is supposed to be great for cleaning the dog out.

I made a complete switch this month. Finished with the TOTW and before I headed out to buy a new bag I checked around for meat prices. Got 20lbs of chicken quarters, 4lbs of chicken gizzards/hearts and 5lbs of chicken/pork necks for under $20. The switch was effortless and its easier on my wallet.

19. sydking

sydking Pup

i was thinking of doign the same thing aswell, im only going to be feeding one dog so much easier, and the weather here in Australia makes things easier aswell.

What breed of rabbits would be best to use??

20. jack the lad

jack the lad Big Dog

Little tip freeze the rabbit for about 2 weeks before you feed them your dog's this will kill the worms they carry plus feed whole it's better for your dogs.