1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Raw Feed Question

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by luge, Jan 8, 2010.

1. luge

luge Big Dog

For all those hardcore raw feeders out there....
    My local butcher gave me about 10 kg (literally) of pork bones and off cuts. I feed my dog part raw/kibble at the minute and eventually be moving on to full raw. Ive done a bit of research on the suitability of raw pork/bones, and the www is leading me round in circles, as you will see if you search this subject. I just want to know are they really ok? So far half of the sources are saying yes, the other half saying hell no! I read somewhere that if you freeze the pork for 2-3 weeks it should be totaly fine to be given raw, as this kills off traces of the ringworm and other nasties like e-coli etc. Help please!!! Lol many thanks in advance :)

2. yoel

yoel Big Dog

I've read so many conflicting reports about pork, I just stay away from it all together. I feed ground beef, which gives each meal sustenance, and beef liver, which I read is the best organ meat for the dog. I put crushed garlic cloves in there to ward off fleas and haven't seen one flea since. I add cottage cheese from time to time, and the occasional egg round up the dog's feeding.

3. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Freeze for a month, us a little at a time, don't feed it every day, watch feces for changes/problems.

4. matty

matty Big Dog

Everyone has a different opinion on this, but mine is based on the fact i have fed pork as part of the diet for a while with no ill effects, both fresh and frozen but usually fresh, trotters, heads, and pork ribs, iv never had a problem with any worms or the dogs guts, so give it a try but variety i think is key when feeding raw. Maybe use say chicken for the bulk then add other meats, organs etc.

5. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I wont use it. Thats something that I just dont want to be worried about. There are too many other good meat/bone sources to choose from.

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I think you should be fine, I have fed pork with no problems. You should worm regularly and check the poop for irregularities.

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i have fed pork scraps for years. not as a staple but the amounts depend on what is in the 40lb scrap box from a buddy of mine (butcher)..some days it is more than others...never had a problem...i asked the same questions when i first started going raw...and old guy who had been feeding raw for years (not becuase it was RAW, but because it was FREE, (worked in a slaughterhouse)..and he said...your dog can eat the ass out of a dead skunk...i have used that statement as a guide for quite some time...s

8. Jrouble

Jrouble Big Dog

^ He summed it up.

Only reasons not to feed pork is trichinosis, fat content and its not a balanced source of nutrition.

Freeze it for a month - trichinosis taken care of.
    Feed it in small amounts and mix it with other foods - nutrition taken care of.
    Don't feed it every day and keep an eye on faeces - great advice due to the fat content which makes it harder to metabolise then other meat.

Take those three easy things, and enjoy - looks like you just got a bunch of free feed!

9. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

freezing it works for me! I freeze it for a week or so, been feeding raw pork for years!
    lol lately i've been feedin squirrels raw and whole! THEY LOVE IT! they get one a day in the morning.
    If you worm on a regular schedule raw pork is ok.