1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Boze, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Boze

Boze Top Dog

everytime i ask a damb question no one answers all am trying to do is learn. is there anything wrong with looking at numerous amounts of kennels from different bloodlines peopl seem to get nervous wen i ask about kennels the reason why i ask you guys and not the kennel owners themselves is because i am not looking to purchase a dog right now so i do not want to waste their time because i am sure that they probably are not interested in talking to someone who does not want a dog from them soon. I have been asked before why do i want to no about all these different kennels and my answer is that i LIKE TO STUDY DIFFERENT KENNELS AND BLOODLINES there is no other reason other than my interest for these dogs. is believe the only way to find the right dog is to ask about as many kennels and stud gogs as you can so if you can not understand then that then i cannot help you

2. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Some of us just don't have an answer, so we can't answer you.

3. LOL, are you having one of those days? Just keep asking questions until one catches the group's attention. I understand your frustration and hope you can understand some members are disinterested in your research. If you ask long enough, someone will talk.:D

4. Well first of all, which kennels are in question. Secondly, what bloodline/s are you interested in? I will try to help as much as I can, but you give nothing to go by.
    Everyone has their own opinion about kennels and bloodlines and dogs in general. Some people will say this XX dog was great, then the next will knock it out of the water. What do you like? Do you know what you want in a dog?

5. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i have an interest in the eli dogs. but to be honest i have no experience with real working dogs i have one dog that i got from the shelter and i love her and love to work with i just actually bought a colby treadmill for her but she just refuses to run lol she will eat her food on it and jump right up there but will not run. and the only quality i am looking for in a dog is gameness and intelligence. i love to condition my dog but sh really only likes to run and play tug o war so i am always rollerblading with her but i would love to one day when i great the right dog i would love to participate in hunting and weight pull, treadmill races and all other working events. i truthfully am amazed by gameness i no that a buying a puppy there is a chance that it will not turn out but i want to get a dog wen it is young so i can raise the puppy i got my dog at eight months and i never really got the experience of taking care of a pup

6. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

Keep studying lil bro. Your time will come. Learn 1st. Alot of true gamedogs are more than a handfull. Ive seen some on our old yard that would send your average petbull owner running for the hills. We had one that thought he was going to dig his way to Japan and would fight the chain at all hours of the night. Straight up retarded. You get one of those when you're fresh out of the gate :eek: and you'll wish you didn't. Trust me.

7. Boze

Boze Top Dog

thanks bullyson lol i am sure that you are right that is why i will always only have one dog so i can give all the necessary attention they need and thanks you have always been honest and helpfull to me and hinesty goes a long way with me

8. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

Boze I like you. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and from what I can tell you are going about this the right way. Doing alot of reading, and studying helps so you have a idea of whats going on, But remember nothing beats experience. I admire your enthusiasium as I am sure many people on here do. If you have any questions feel free to pm me with them. If I know I will be more than happy to share some things with you if I dont know I will tell you I dont know.:)

9. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

If I were you, I would spend about $1500-$2000 on a really well bred brood bitch, and breed to the best stud you can find, and you have a whole litter of pups to choose from. Keep the ones that work out, and get the others fixed, and placed in pet homes.

10. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

Give the culls to pet homes? I think thats a horrible idea just another bad headline waiting to happen. Be a responsible "breeder" if infact thats what you want to do and hold true to your dogs and ethics. BTW breeding and culling goes hand in hand. I dont enjoy it but it definently needed.

11. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I thought everyone would understand, what I meant without having to say it, or at least understand why I would put it in a politically correct way.
    I agree with what you say 100%, but with the climate in the dogs in this day and age, I like to refrain from going into all the different methods of culling, other then to say take it out of the gene pool.

But as far as APBT's not making good pets, I will have to disagree with you. Some of the BEST dogs I have seen were like Petey from Little Rascals. Hell Dibo run the yard until he was up in years.

12. NavasInc

NavasInc Big Dog

LOL yeah some dogs are just wildin out lol!!!!!!!!!

13. The portion of Stillwaters post that you took exception to is, in fact, a widely practiced form of culling. The dogs that were viewed as substandard (breeders preference) were simply fixed, ie removed from the gene pool, ie in effect culled and placed. Nothing wrong with that, and it has been done that way forever. It is someone elses choice to feed the dog or not...

14. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

I never once said they dont make good pets. Yes the majority do understand but there are alot of noobs around that are learning and listening to everything we are saying I just think it would be a good idea to set a good example for them and not suggest that these dogs be just placed in just any home if they arent what youre lookin for. Know what I mean btw not tryin to start any problems friend.

15. CHICO

CHICO Pup

Hello Boze and everyone. My name is Chico. I am new to this board , but not to the breed. A few people here know me already. I am glad to see so many good pet owners.

Boze I can not talk for everyone else, but I can see why you fell the way youdo. Specialy in a moderated board. I tell you in a trash board you can as about any kennels and you will have 20 anons giving you all kinds of idiot opinions.

I have found that is hard some times because of the nature of the breed and the hard times we live to say much about anyone , good or bad.

On one end something bad is totally on productive, and in most case un apreciated. Even if that bad opinion , can be the truth.

In the other had saying that you do like some one or some bloodline can also be that you maybe missed interpreted , or assumed something you are not.

It is hard now in days.

These dogs are very hard to study and understand, but a quick tip is look for what you like in a dog, and find some one that is using it, and is succesful with it.

The price most the time is not the most important thing, I got one of my best dogs for $40.00 and some other great ones for $2000. I have paid for a good solid stud that I hunted for years over $10K.

However I do know that quality cost money, as quality means sellection.
    Today just about any John Doe with two dogs or one dog can call him/her a kennel.

Look for time/records/respect/consistency/competition.

Take your time. The most important thing will always be gameness, and consitency!!.

Good Luck
    Chico

16. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

To each there own. Imo,Both methods of culling are acceptable. Not culling at all is irresponsible. Big Game

17. IMAT2AK

IMAT2AK Big Dog

What line of Eli in particular are you hunting for? I don't consider myself a pro just yet, but not too long ago, I didn't know the difference between Tab and Bolio. I learned an enourmous amount in a small time. Over the past 2 years so to speak. My strength of the situation came from living close enough to the greats. I've sat and talked in the flesh to the Woodall's, The old man on the Mtn., Mr. Wildside....and the list goes on. Not to mention I'd wasted over 5,000 dollars buying b/s curs b/4 I truely learned what to look for. That 5 Grand got me 26 dogs and only 1 turned out to be an Ace. I wouldn't even call him that, he just done well enough to conquer 3 others in my area. Redboy/Jocko/Jeep. Man I had Pure eli, jeep, bolio, midnight cowboy, Boyles, Homer, Busenbark, Chinaman, Clouse...... but in the end, it all meant nothing. It wasn't how they were bred.... I soon found out. The were coming off of un-culled bullsh*t and that I'd never do again. I look for the proven breeding, repeat if I can help it, and know about the sire/dam wrather than just depending on the names in the ped. Take your time, and it shall come 2 u as well. Take care man, and you can ask me anything!

18. game_test

game_test Top Dog

take your time brother. patience will earn you the right dog at the right time.

19. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i just went to your site and i must say you have some nice dogs and i love the videos i think they are a great representation of what the reaql gamebred APBT is all about

20. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i have an interest in the maverick/sixbits dogs mostly because of the two men that created these dogs from wat i have read and i no reading does nort amount to going through it but Jerry clemmons and Floyd Boudreaux seem to be very intelligent breeders, but i do have to say i have just learned a little more about pat patricks dogs and i wish those stupid animal rights extremists could see that that man was breeding quality sound dogs and it is the people who do not breed to the true standard who are causing the problems with these fine animals