1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

question?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by azdog, Nov 22, 2004.

1. azdog

azdog Big Dog

I was wondering what the patterdale terriers were used and bred for?It might sound like a dumb question but I wanted to know.I see quite a few pit bull men own some patterdales also.

2. who

who Top Dog

those dogs are just your average little terrier.....like jack russel just a little tougher........i guess why "dogmen" would have them is cause it would be like having a "pocket Pit"........lol......yall aint gonna beleive me but one day ill have POCKET PITs.........and if yall are interested just let me know what yall think

3. azdog

azdog Big Dog

I've always liked the real little pits.A friend of mine has some real tight bred Bolio dogs,andthe females come around 19-35lbs.I think there really cool,besides well bred.While back on the patterdales,are they pretty game?

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

the Patterdale Terrier is also known as the Black Fell Terrier
    They are game little dogs when hunting ..Gameness in the patterdale terrier can be compared to that of say race horses..they have alot of heart, drive and persistance, couragousness. very loyal and like to please.... you cannot compare them to the APBT or the APBTs gameness since the APBT was bred for different purposes in mind and is a different breed of dog all together.

I know someone who raises them and I myself like them alot.. they make a good little watchdogs, too.. lots and lots of energy. They tend to not be other dog aggressive however, other animals are a different story. primarily a working terrier still..

Here's a few websites so you can see for yourself.

http://www.ptca.00go.com/ Patterdale Terrier Club of america

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/patterdaleterrier.htm

http://home.pacbell.net/r_hansen/ (hunting pictures too!)

5. azdog

azdog Big Dog

Thanks rocksteady i'm looking to buy a little terrier dog for the house and as a pet for my kids.do they make good pets?

6. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

Good links and photos! Cute lil boogers as puppies aren't they! :)
    Thanks rocksteady i'm looking to buy a little terrier dog for the house and as a pet for my kids.do they make good pets?
    From the little I read about them in her links I would not think they would be a kids inside house pet. It appears that they must have lots and lots of energy and wouldn't too much like being a little house terrier. Just my opinion from what I read about them. She (Rocksteady) may know more.

There is a site and I'm going to go find it - it's really kinda neat. You can put in all sorts of needs and it will show you what kind of dog would be best for what your looking for.. I'll post it by itself (don't want to mess up your post) LOL

7. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

I've been wantin one of them for a while now. They sort of have an evil looks to them tho lol

8. azdog

azdog Big Dog

I contacted Mr.Hammonds,
    He is only asking 300-500 dollars for a pup.

9. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

From what I've seen ..they are not a good choice for really young or hyper children.. but then its going to depend on the children and the individual dog. As long as they are trained, get plenty of outdoor exercise and the children arent roughhousing , I dont see why not. They have alot more "energy" but I hear they are pretty good in the house.. as long as they get that excersice
    Since most are still working lines /dogs, they need something to keep them busy

$300 -$500 seems like a reasonable average price for one..

Lets hope they dont become another ruined breed!