1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question to experts

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by gamebred26, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ................

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2009
  2. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Thanks, so it is not a predisposition to just attack any dog at site. intersting.. I wonder if anyone else on this board as more info to add to this?

3. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

A game dog raised around other dogs and socialized will probably be a game dog that's not aggressive around just any old dog. My one true game dog was never socialized because we lived in a rural country area with no one around, so if he saw a dog he was extremely dog aggressive. If someone were inclined to call him just a dog aggressive curr they would definitely be wrong on that one. But he was unsocialized, so he was certainly dog aggressive, there was no denying that.

Gameness is the ability to keep going, no propensity for quitting. So it's such a subjective term in today's culture of non dog fighting that you can only do your part and hope your dog is a character dog.

4. Advocate

Advocate Big Dog

5. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

I didn't mean they are going to be tailwaggers and happy go lucky dogs like a lab. Just that they might tolerate other dogs. A game dog is always going to be a liabilty around other dogs, even if he was so tolerant as to not start the fight, he is certainly going to finish it. I'm not an owner that goes around telling myself, "It's not the dog, it's the owner" because I have been around them long enough to know it's the dog. :)

A big part of the pit bull problem these days in naive owners thinnking they are just going to go out and rescue a pit and walk off into the sunset together. Instead they take their dog to a dog park and it kills a dog because they failed to realize the dog's nature. People don't put things in the right perspective. Just as you don't have to train a Beagle to run a rabbit (you're training him to listen to you while doing it), you don't have to train a game pit bull to fight.

6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

7. Ja-net

Ja-net Banned

Every dog is different and it boils down to what that Individual owner can handle as a pet. As most breeds of dog is not for everyone......you gotta find the one that is right for you. Can a small old lady that raised chihuahuas most of her life raise and handle Neopolitan Mastiffs? I dont think so LOL...we each have our own idea of what a pet is suppose to be or not suppose to be but in the end that is all just opinion of what you think constitutes as a pet. My dogs are great pets for me but they might not be for someone else especially if he dont have the experience or knowledge of how to handle them responsibly.

8. very good point. each dog is different. they will all fight at some point but that doesn't mean they always will. usually once rank is established, they can co-exist just as long as they know pecking order. now if you had a yard full of hot dogs, that's another story all together. as far as game dogs go, lets be real, how many folks had/have a yard full of game dogs? i'm sure some would love to believe they did/do but it's simply not true. i'm sure there are plenty of folks that have a bunch of hot dogs but that's a far cry from being a game dog, imo. me personally, i have no use for a hot headed bulldog....doesn't mean my dogs are curs or game for that matter. i wouldn't know.

9. this thought process is what gets people in trouble...you get comfortable that boomer is ok with uncle joey's german shepard which he knew all his life...so you think he will be ok with someone elses dog...next thing you know hes got a hold of the poodle at the park and there is no break stick in sight...

lawsuit...

we have a leash law here in NJ and when i used to take my dogs on walks i had a few close calls...my dog on the leash as always but everyones labs...beagles etc. running wild...

i know in court even if my pit was on a leash and it killed another dog that was not on a leash i would still lose. cause my dog was pit bull...

i had to scoop my dogs up screaming at people "come get your dog ASAP" many times in order to avoid a bad situation...

it gets to be a hassle...having to be on guard all the time..

i'd rather have a dog now that wont be so eager to go all the damn time.

oh yes and the dogs i owned were not socialized to be nice to other dogs either i do have to add that. they were not encouraged to play nice. but they were bad ass from pups and purchased from yards that only wanted winners coming out from there spot.

back in the day it was always who'd you get that dog from...what yard...who bred him. not let me see his papers. whos his pops and whos his momma..thats all that mattered....and what were they doing at the time..and what have they done in the past.

i dont know how it is now. but no won gave a crap about 4 gens back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  10. you can never let your guard down. never trust a bulldog not to do what they do best. who said anything about a dog park? to own this breed and not own a breakstick (and know how to use it) is remedial. that's why i put the emphasis on responsible owners with game dogs/ gamebred dogs.

this is true. that's why these dogs belong in the country not in the cities and sub urbs...that's where the problem started. this breed never should have got into the hands of common people. but what's done is done. that's why honest breeders won't sell their gamebreds to the public.

and that is your personal choice. most people don't have any business with a game dog anyways. the OP was about game dogs making good pets. to most people NO. there are always exceptions. i do just fine with my game bred pets. ;)