1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

question on harness

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mikelia, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

I am going to buy a weightpull harness for my girl from ravenswatch. I have one of their harnesses that I had for my GSD and it is a very, very nice harness and I am very happy with it, but it is huge on sweetie.
    My question is that they offer 1" or 2" webbing and I am not sure which to choose. 1" might be too restrictive but the 2" might be too bulky, it is a heavy harness to begin with and has lots of padding. I am thinking the 1" will do fine? But this is the first harness I've bought for a bulldog, she's a lot smaller than a shepherd :)

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

How big is your dog? Loki has pulled from 40 pounds all the way up to 51 one time when she was hog-fat. Her harness has 2" webbing all around. (There is a 1" colored strap stitched over the 2" straps on part of it.)

ETA: You don't have to worry too terribly much about restricting the movement of the front legs because dogs do most of the work with their rears. I haven't noticed any real impediment anyway. Loki can still jump up on me when she's finished her pull. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006
  3. jbh38

jbh38 Big Dog

Darn, now I can't think of exactly how wide ours are, I would say 2 inch, here is a picture of Reno in his, yep, now that I look at it, it looks like 2 inch, I have never really seen a thinner one.

[​IMG]

4. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

ADBA isn't big in canada and my girl isn't registered so I have to pull with the IWPA which is all breed. You don't see as many fancy harnesses as you do at the ADBA shows, mine is very simple black with black fleece and a brown bar lol.
    As for the restrictive thing, I should have been more clear. I don't think it is going to affect her movement, but a 1" webbing opposed to a 2" webbing is going to cut into her more. Just like a thin collar is harder on their neck than a thick collar. But aside from the X part on her back, the only part of the harness touching her is covered in thick padding so 1" webbing wouldn't really cut in.
    I think most pittie harnesses are usually made with 2" webbing, but ravenswatch is a sled dog kennel that also makes weight pull harnesses.
    As for her size she is 45lbs about.

5. BAU

BAU Pup

Stick with the 2 inch. It will spread the weight out over a greater area and be better for your dog. Think of it like this, if you were going to carry a heavy back pack which would you prefer.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I highly recommend cdpits harnesses, for wt pull.

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

You know, I just remembered I had a harness with 1-inch webbing. It was made by Ikon outfitters, generic-sized, and no cheaper than the custom-made, thickly padded CD Pits harness posted in my last post. (CDPits is in Canada, BTW. :D)

ETA: That harness rubbed all the hair off her thighs along the side. The spreader bar was pretty narrow.

[​IMG]

8. jbh38

jbh38 Big Dog

One of the more important things to look at with a harness isn't really the web sizing, but the neck. You don't want the breast plate to come up too high and hit the dog at the bottom of the throat. It restricts their air and hurts. It can also make them raise up.