1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the show folks

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by ABK, Jan 27, 2006.

1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

In some of the clubs I show through a hand-on exam is required, so my guys are used to being petted, examined etc. But I have problems w/ some of my dogs jumping sky-high & scaring the tar out of the judge when he checks their jewels & some of my gyps will sit down when he tries run his hands down their back legs. Now if I do it, they're fine, no reaction. But if a stranger does it the male invariably jumps & looks around like "hey!" & the gyp sits down. I know handling by strangers would help, but i've found not many ppl are willing to rub down a strange dog let alone walk up to a strange male dog & handle his coullions! I guess what I'm saying is good help is hard to come by. lol. Anyone got any advice for overcoming this??

2. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

I have actually only seen one judge "touch the dog" in the ring..and that was in AADR. Alot of dogs "in the heat of the moment" will excite bite..which is kinda of like a person saying get off me and swinging an elbow when someone tries to get in their way during and altercation. Dogs in the show ring (AADR & ADBA) are sometimes to close for comfort and the dog is racing back and forth between the dog on the left of them and the right of them. I know I have a few that are nuts in the ring. So with all this said not to many judges want to risk being accidently bit.

3. tom9783

tom9783 Pup

What kind of pit bull dog show do you go to where they touch the dogs nuts? That must be ukc shows, adba, aadr shows don't do that. I've been to hundreds of these shows and i have never seen that. lmao.:D

4. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

In UKC they go over the whole dog . The balls are checked honestly to make sure they are both fully there

If your dog is showing UKC and has trouble with people touching him you may want to have your friends come over and practice with you or take some handling classes woith him to get him used to it

Also if you have trouble with the dog sitting or jumping up when his legs are touched it is the same as above... the more you can get other people to do it the better he'll be when it comes time for the judge

5. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

It is not as comman in the ADBA shows, but is in the rules so be prepared. I have seen judges go over the entire dog top to bottom at these shows.

6. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

That surprises me... in all the years I've been going to the ADBA shows I have NEVER seen a judge even touch a dog in the ring. I didn't realize it was in the rules either. I've never worried about a judge touching one of mine, but I will definetly remember this now..

Now UKC is another story. I know the judge does touch the dog.. I dont' have any experience with UKC so I'll leave it to those that do.

7. tom9783

tom9783 Pup

My wife sometimes judges those shows no rule for touching the dog in the adba. Don't know who told you that. or the aadr.

8. we showing Rage at an ADBA show the judge touched her. he pulled her skin up to see if she was dry or wet lol

9. tom9783

tom9783 Pup

thats funny. lmao.:D

10. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

My husband and myself have also judged our share of shows and spent the time to take the seminars at the yearly convention. This information comes direct from judges and the ADBA itself. It is not a rule that they have to, but it is allowed, it is up to the individual judge. The reason being crypt and mon -orchids are not always easily detected by site as well as bitches in heat. This has been a real issue on occasion (placing of these dogs recently has caused quite a stir at some events) and is being checked alot more closely as of late.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  11. tom9783

tom9783 Pup

It really is not that hard to tell if the dog has 1 testicle or no testicles showing. and has no bearing on weather it can breed or not. Thats the only reason i can imagine they would check at all. Which i have never seen happen at any show in the U.S.A. and as far as it being a flaw well theres more flawed dogs making champion than you would suspect in the adba. Overbites, uderbites, 90% of all judges for the adba don't have a clue what they are looking for thats a fact. They judge for the club that brought them there and give awards accordingly.

12. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

Well I am not sure how many shows you have been to lately of what judges you have seen at them, but it is something that is being done more frequently. I do not wish to argue this with you, take your own chances. Also crypt and mon -orchid is a major fault in the ring and a genetic flaw, it is no better than dogs that produce blindness or hip dysplasia. 25% of all litters born to dogs with this problem have the same problem. Dogs with this disorder have a much higher risk of cancer and should be spayed, neutered and removed from the breeding program of any responsible breder.

13. tom9783

tom9783 Pup

Not an arguement just a deep discussion no hard feelings here. just a difference of opinion thats all. and as far as showing dogs i don't show dogs i raise game dogs the real thing not show dogs. My wife was invited to judge dog shows by the adba.Just to clear that up. It's been a pleasure disscussing this with you. Thank you for your input. yours truly tom9783.

14. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

So just for discussion purposes are you saying that those of us that show our dogs can't possibly have real game dogs? I can assure that is not true, there are many game dog people out there that have recently gotten more involved in this aspect of the dogs so that we are better able to help fight the BSL and other laws our governments (local and federal) are trying to impose. IMO it is a very smart move on the part of these people. Things that are hidden are usually exposed, by bringing the dogs to the general population we can dispell the myths that media is imposing on us. Like I said just for discussion everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is what makes the world go round. :)

15. tom9783

tom9783 Pup

No that is not what i'm saying, I know many old timers like myself who have shown there dogs at shows. Some very game dogs young folks of today do not test what they breed and breed for no more than money. that too is a fact. Gameness is not an agressive dog gameness is proven by those who would test there dog in the real sence. If you know what i mean. Preety pedigrees and bloodlines do not make game dogs! (rom) can be manipulated so can (por) real dog men test all the stock used for breeding. If you don't your part of the problem of putting common dogs out for people who want pets not pits. There is a saying the dog makes the ped not the other way around. Breed what you want this is america, but don't say it's game if you don't know. I've been in this longer than most of you have been alive, and i've seen it all. I also know joanie from tatonka that is where you get your dogs from right? You should try Berts dogs. My opinion only and this is for discussion only, No offence ment to anyone. I'm old i do tend to ramble a bit. Live well, love well and be happy. Thank you for the discussion Tom.

16. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

I always appreciate a good discussion, :). Thanks for your input and I do agree with the majority of what you have stated. I stand behind every dog on my yard and will do so into the future, we have tried BS stock and were very unhappy with the results (maybe just luck of the draw as they say). A good dog is where you find it and what you choose to make of it, many a good dog has been ruined in the hands of the wrong people. Be glad to have a good discussion with you anytime, it is quite re-freshing to find someone that can actually discuss things in a knowledgable manner these days.

17. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

i kinda had that problem too but what i do is when the judge is around instead of stepping back all the way i willl keep my leg on her, that way she knows im still there watching her...

18. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

amen to that...

19. tom9783

tom9783 Pup

it was my pleasure and thank you.

20. Attila

Attila Guest

I know I shouldn't laugh at that one but it tickled me. Too funny. Some judges do that some don't.

I suggest that you expose your dogs to more handling if they are having issues with being handled. About all you can do other than handling your dogs more yourself while at home. Go to more shows and let them get used to it. As adult dogs it is harder to overcome. But when they are pups you should handle them as often as possible. I don't fondle my dogs genticals either and mine may do the same thing if someone was doing so to them. I don't know. They seem to be fine with the vet so I assume they will be fine with a judge doing such. As odd as I may find it to do so in a ring. Other than looking to see that they are intact I don't see where me touching them would confirm any more than what is visable. This issue is one other reason for rubbing a dog down before and after work outs and during interaction with the dog. One doesn't have to handle the dogs genticals to do that but if you rub the dog down often enough it is used to being touched.

I don't know what else to say.