1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question about Weight Pull

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by MoonStr80, Aug 3, 2005.

1. MoonStr80

MoonStr80 Pup

Don't you guys think about the effect when you make your dogs pull all of that weight would effect their backs when they get older?

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Responsible people do. I don't even start my dogs in a harness with no weight to very light weights till they are at least 9-10 mo. old. Then they must be at least 18 mo. before they begin pulling moderate weights & 24mo. to do heavy pulling. And I NEVER risk my dog's health for my own ego (of having a dog pull some ungodly amount of weight). Each dog is an individual & for many of my dogs, pulling is more like a reward. It's not about outdoing hundreds of other dogs, it's about outdoing himself & having fun. Usually by the time my dogs get rolling on the weight pulls, many,many dogs are being "retired" due to them breaking down whether it be spinal, hip, knee, or elbow problems. PLUS, NONE of my dogs are forced to pull. Over the course of that year of training buildup, I find some that just have absolutely no desire to pull anything for any reason. And then I have some that see their pull harnesses and/or the sled & they absolutely insane.

So to answer your question on behalf of the responsible party, yes we think things through very meticulously when it comes to our dogs' health & welfare.

3. MoonStr80

MoonStr80 Pup

Okie. Thx for the information :) I was worried about the long term effects it would put on the dog's drain on their backs etc

BTW.. Your dog is cute in your siggy

4. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

I believe like humans dogs have their youth and can just about get away with anything but as we grow older we slow down and responsible pullers do the same with their dogs.

5. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

i don weight pull when my dogs are at 2 yrs of age.