1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question about my pup

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bryce, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

My Apbt pup is 7 1/2 weeks old and i am feeding him timberwolf(lamb,barley and apples formula),and he wont eat it ive even tried softening it with water,what do i do,also im about to finish up on timberwolf and my local feed store supplies innova,merricks,solid gold,and welness wich one should i get for my pup?

2. Michele

Michele Guest

Innova........good stuff.

Can you try putting some broth in the food? Give it more flavor?

3. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

ok thank you for you help

4. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

IMO I would stick with the Timberwolf. What has the pup been eating before? I would completely soften the food with hot water and let it absorb all the water and mush the food with a fork to make it all soft. You can use puppy milk replacer also. (make sure the mixture is not hot when you feed it)

If you have to swith I would go with Innova.

5. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

alright i might just order another bag of TW,before he was eating pedigree, how long can I use the puppy milk replacer or when do I stop using it?

6. Michele

Michele Guest

Bryce: you can also try soaking the food in some chicken broth..give it more flavor.....

7. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

never thought about that,it sounds like a good idea i might try it,thanks Michele!

8. Michele

Michele Guest

Bryce: I do the chicken broth with my dog.. He loves it....:)

9. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

When I got my Aussie pup,he was finicky about eating so I mix a tablespoon of low fat non flavored yogurt in his food.Now I give it to all my dogs ,they love it,it's good for them and best of all its cheap.

10. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

LOL yea thats a pretty good idea

11. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Let us know how he is eating. You can use the milk replacer as long as you need to. Its good for them, but I would ween him off in a couple weeks b/c it is better for his teeth to eat the food crunchy.

12. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

Ill let you know soon how he is eating,and ill wean him off the mushy food in a a week or two thanks for the help Envy

13. Suki

Suki Guest

I would stick with the Timberwolf, as well, and if you do decide to use the chicken broth, i would recommend the low sodium kind, as there's no need to give a dog, (pup), so much sodium, and the canned stuff is LOADED with it.

Just a thought:
    you can buy one of those precooked chickens and add a little chicken meat to it, then gradually taper off, so your dog doesn't get too spolied or too used to it.
    I know MANY people frown upon adding "human food", but to initiate a pup's appetite, for a short time, i personally see no problem with this. but only add a LITTLE and cut it up small so he can't pick out only the chicken and leave all the kibble.
    worked for several of my dogs.... (just my .02)

14. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

well i got some milk replacer,so do I just pour it on his Timberwolf,and I have decided to stick with TW!

15. Michele

Michele Guest

that's exactly how I do it with JC's food. He's picky, so i'll add very little chicken or turkey...whatever I'm cooking at the time. And also, with regard to the chicken broth, they also have fat free broth and low sodium (I forgot about the sodium Suki...):o

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  16. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Yeah, I wouldn't go changing the food. Add stuff if you want. Just be warned that sometimes that builds bad eating habits, because you'll end up with a dog that wont touch its kibble unless the extras are put in. I probably shouldn't comment further because I'm not used to dealing with pups that young.