1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Purpose of "Bite Work/Protection" Training?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Jelet, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AGame

AGame CH Dog

Re: Purpose of "Bite Work/Protection" Training?

LOL..... i seen jelet post a smart ass reply on a youtube video and he was bragging about his dog in this said post so i looked on his page and he is the reason i started to come here i try to ignore the things this kid says but some things u just cant ignore i wish i knew you in real life jelet seeing as how u looked at my dog on his tie out and told me what kind of dog he was and how shitty my "tie out" was not chain setup BTW i think i can learn alot from u :rolleyes:
    but with all do respect u are young and this is your first dog i think rally is quite a bit more well informed on this breed than u u need to listen more than talking i talk very little here but i read alot and research every link i can find that says anything about an APBT

2. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Hey! Age is just a number! This coming from probably the only other 18 year old in the room lol

3. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

BB , i wouldnt worry about making comparisons just because your a similar age.
    your hotter and you know more.:)

4. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Im only a year ahead of you, dont worry. :p

5. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

COMPLETELY WELL SAID! I AGREE 100%

It's not that he is young. It's how he acts, He acts as if he is king god about game dogs, like he has been breeding and raising the best for years:rolleyes:. When he isn't he is 18, he may know quite a bit about game dogs just like the rest of us but allot of people here have YEARS AND YEARS of experience and if your willing some can teach you more about the breed then you could ever read in a book. Also rallyracer is right if he has smart people to talk to why not keep to them.

6. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

No shit? I thought you were mid-twenties.

Junkyard: Thank you. :) But where's my main man Nota?!

7. NotaBlueHippo

NotaBlueHippo Big Dog

Get off my Kool Aid junk!!:D lol

8. NotaBlueHippo

NotaBlueHippo Big Dog

Junkyard: Thank you. :) But where's my main man Nota?![/QUOTE]
    Im rite here i was apparently typin as you were! lol

9. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

haha, don't start up this stalker status now! you know i'm faithful!

10. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

To be honest with Jelet I beg to differ and i can back that up

11. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Anyone that thinks that all they have to do is love thier dog (of any breed) and it will just naturally protect them is in for a rude awakening. I have seen lots of bite testing done on dogs of all breeds and i cant tell you home many times i see owners get thier feelings hurt when their dog ducks behind them or pulls away when the decoy puts pressure on them. I have seen dogs tuck tail and literally pull thier handler to the ground running away when a decoy came at them screaming.
    Filas are NOT the end all be all... the sad fact is that people are so convinced that they are these natural guards that need no work is put into preserving thier nerve. so while they might put on one hell of a display on the other side of a fence, they shrink under pressure too.

Loving your dog IS NOT enough to make it protect you. Im sorry if that kills your romanticized idea of man's best friend, but thats simply not how it works. You need to teach your dog what to do, how to do it, and when to do it... if you want a predictable response in the face of a threat. if you arent training your dog to protect then dont trust it to. period.

12. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

''Loving your dog IS NOT enough to make it protect you. Im sorry if that kills your romanticized idea of man's best friend, but thats simply not how it works. You need to teach your dog what to do, how to do it, and when to do it... if you want a predictable response in the face of a threat. if you arent training your dog to protect then dont trust it to. period. ''

You just had to take what I was about say<!-- / message -->

13. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Jelet, I'm confident that I have a very good bond with my dog Xanny. And, as you can see, she has experience in bitework in a variety of situations. She is a solid, confident dog, who has passed at half dozen different temperament evaluations (TT, BST, CGC 2x, TDI, GDT). I've owned her for 11 years, and I have a good understanding of her personality and behavior. Yet, since I have never been genuinely assaulted, I DO NOT KNOW IF SHE WILL PROTECT ME IN A REAL SITUATION.

14. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

AWESOME pics Leslie... thanks for psoting those, i love to see working dogs.

15. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

generally those who are young fall into two camps-those who are kids, and those who act like kids.
    the ones the are kids are the ones you usually dont have any problems with- they are attentive, listen, and ask educated questions.
    those who act are usually know it alls who have no basis for such behavior.

i was once a kid, but i didnt act like one.;) you learn with your ears, not your mouth

if more young people acted like YOU, then i might have a bit more faith in the upcoming generations.

16. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

My dad always said "God gave you two eyes, two ears and only one mouth for a reason... you should do twice as much listening and watching as you do talking!"

17. Re: Purpose of "Bite Work/Protection" Training?

In my opinion. if you don't teach a dog protection, you cannot control the bite or out your dog. Obedience and protection work are part of a well trained, well rounded and atheletic dog. I think it is very nieve to think your dog wont bite. After all it is an animal.
    As for as your dog actually protecting you, it is all instinct. I know my dog will protect my 7 year old at all cost.

18. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

But, how do you know that? has your 7 year old been assaulted and your dog protected him/her? Honestly unless the situation has been presented and your dog has actaully protected you are only assuming that it will, and i have seen a lot of dogs not perform the way that thier owners were positive they would in the face of an actual bite scenario. the instinct is fight or flight, and unless your dog has been trained that it can win ANY fight odds are it will lean toward the flight end of the spectrum 90+% of the time. Dogs bluff a lot, the hackles go up and they vocalize and put on one hell of a display... but the dogs with most vicious displays are the first ones to run when the pressure comes. acting tough is a sign of a lack of confidence... some of the best bites i have ever seen are from dogs that barely make a sound. You have to actually push them to get them to bark or to vocalize in anyway.

I am not trying to call you out or anything, i am just saying that dont rely on an untested dog of any breed for any reason... even tested dogs can fail when the heat is on. There is a video of a GSD at the finals of a SCH trial and the dog goes on a send the decoy turns and raises a whipa dna comes at the dog.. the dog turns and RUNS to the handler. This was a dog that was going for a title... so it wasnt green to pressure.
    Protection training is no different than teaching your dog to sit, you teach him at home and he sits perfect every time but you put dogs and distractions around and his reaction time goes down, or he is so interested in other things that he doesnt sit as reliably, etc. When the emotions run high and the dog is worked up you cant be sure what it will do, unless you have taught it what to do in lots of scenarios, locations, with various decoys, with decoys that fight back, decoys that run, decoys that scream decoys that are silent, you have to teach the dog across a myriad of situations so that it wins every time. It doesnt get worked up because it knows the exercise, it knows how to react and what it expected of it that is where the confidence comes into play. Confidence building is foundation to bite training. The dog needs to feel invincible... there is no fight or flight because it doesnt understand defeat... a good decoy trains this way.

19. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

now THAT is some straight up wisdom. and whered you get it from? a grown man, not a young punk.:D i agree 100%

20. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

My second grade teacher told me the same quote Diesel mentioned. I hated her. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.