1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pups and chains.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BRONXXX, Jun 16, 2010.

1. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Around what age can you start putting your dog on a chain setup?

I would think you wouldnt want to put the pup on too early because their would be health implications? (ie; muscle and bone structure is way underdeveloped) Yet I would think the sooner you can get the dog to adapt the better.

I tried consulting My Pitbull Bible, but did not see a guideline as to when to start. :confused:

Thoughts?

2. act284

act284 Big Dog

ive heard as soon as 4 months...just go with a reasonable and smaller set up

3. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

just dont use logger chain or real heavy chain too early

4. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

at about 10-12 weeks i put them on one of the thick cables untill they are about 4-5 months then they go on a chain

5. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Most of the tethering laws are aiming at 6mos for the minimum age, so more than likely it is safer earlier. And if nosey neighbors can see your setups, check your local laws. The one just passed here is if the pup is under 6 mos then it is 500 dollar fine.

6. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Check your local laws. I personally wait till they have had all their shots. Around 4 months I put them on a smaller setup that works for the pup.

7. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

as soon as their big enough to fit on a small set up

8. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

The local laws didnt say anything about tethering, and the state law just basically prohibts the use of a chain setup. The dog has to be set up on a zip line.

So since there is no law stating a required age, im gonna take budboy's advice. Around 10-12 weeks use a thick cable, then around 4-5 months switch to a chain setup (on a zip line)

Thank you guys for your input :D

9. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

You should learn more about Parvo before you put a 10-12 wk puppy outside on a cable and how long Parvo can live in the dirt and outdoors..... Around here thats a recipe for a dead pup. IMO!

10. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

been doing this for as long as i can remember and so has my dad and grandfather and have never had a parvo pup. Ironically the only dog ive ever had here that came down with parvo lived inside.

11. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Thanks for the heads up, ill do some research on that.

12. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Thats all well and good, and if its the same land (your grandfather, father, now you) then that makes more sense being that your land was never exposed. As far as advice to someone who you dont know their situtation then thats different. The OP could of moved their recently, and the last people who lived there had Parvo, and now if he puts a 10-12 wk pup outdoors his pup has it too.

Like I said, do some research, not everyone's situtation is the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010