1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

puppy ready???

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by widerange, Dec 13, 2010.

1. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i have this female that i will be breeding. this will be my first breeding. now i have done some research and putting a whelping box. ( ill post pics soon as i can. my question is for those of you that have been breeding what are some supplies that i may need or that are must for you to have once the pups are born. she does go into heat for around another 4 months just trying to plan ahead. thanks for all your help.

2. Wow....you haven't got flamed yet,usually when someone mentions "breeding"they let em have it....anyways good luck

3. Now that all depends on the quality of stock and reasons behind the breeding.

4. widerange

widerange Big Dog

been into these hounds for awhile wouldnt be planning a breeding if it wasnt deserved. she is a good female. 3 yrs old. already talked to serval kennels that ill be farming out to what doesnt farm out will stay on the yard. unless i dont feel i have the info needed to breed her and in that case ill be waiting til the next heat. not in any kind of hurry.

5. duckmike

duckmike Big Dog

just curious but why breed ? whats your goal in doing it ? you seem to be thinking it out pretty good but breeding dogs is expensive time-consuming and at times perilous with very few short-term rewards .

6. WAR_PAINT

WAR_PAINT Big Dog

^^^Wayne,... is that you?^^^:D:p

7. WAR_PAINT

WAR_PAINT Big Dog

When a person puts this kind of thought into a breeding, I doubt they're looking for short term rewards, and I'm pretty sure they're aware of the complications of whelping a litter. Just a thought , but that may be why they are planning this far ahead.

8. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

just make sure your ready to syringe feed pups in case she wants nothing to do with the pups. alot of people breed without being ready for the worse so if you prepare from now you should be fine.
    one more thing make sure you have an emergency 24 hour vet # in case of any complications, it is best to make friends with a vet willing to come to your home.
    if your not prepared you dont just lose pups you can lose the mother as well.

9. widerange

widerange Big Dog

alright i have to look up some syringes, thanks. my vet is a great lady works with me on the weekends and all so im good on the vet deal. im waiting til first of the year to take her to the vet for shots and check up before she is in heat. what about feed or vitamin? any good suggestions

10. If you wat some SOLID avice on dog breeding hit me up in M.
    10 yrs breeding SUCSSFUL litters of APBT pups. We give top ofthe line care and attention. Dont listen to the others or websies AND PLEASE wait until the dog is of AGE. Dont breed her before she's ready or you'll be sorry

11. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Dang they breed em like you in north louisiana and you like bulldogs dam I think im in looo...
    Looo...
    Just kidding lol

To the op bro I feel you im doing the samething now ill be breeding my female on her next heat she a good lil gyp so good luck

12. widerange

widerange Big Dog

best of luck with your gym frankd. my female will be over 3 by her next heat. next been breed. just wondering what does everyone use for bedding for the pups

13. Nelly57

Nelly57 Pup

ask chaser71 he is my da he will now!!:)

14. widerange

widerange Big Dog

ill do that but what do you mean by my da?

15. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

i think d.a means vet :)

16. scooter

scooter Big Dog

None of my business if you breed your dogs. But you do have to be totally committed and prepared. Sounds like you are on the right track at least with your plans. I've owned this breed probably for as many yrs as some have been alive and I have never had a bad mother. I do maybe 2 breedings a yr. I place them and keep some off each litter. I think I have only ever sold 2 puppies. Period.
    I would be happy to assist you on hints and tips. Anything for the welfare of the dogs.

17. widerange

widerange Big Dog

thanks for all the help i just got cali jacks dvd on breeding in today. on the 3rd dvd now and taking notes. so far the dvd has been a great help.

18. Congoman

Congoman Big Dog

Don't make it more complicated than it should be. Also don't handle the pups too much in the first two weeks. Some females freak out when you are touching the pups and they won't take care of them. Good luck with your litter man. You can PM if you need any help. I've got a litter that was just born close to a week ago. My female is a good mom too, so this is an easy litter. Lol

19. widerange

widerange Big Dog

hoping that she does well with pups as she has never raised a litter i have no clue how this will go. just to update i finished all of the cali jack dvd on breeding. starting to build an above ground kennel at the end of next week. also getting vet checks set up for the first or second week of jan. If everything checks out ill be gathering and collecting info along with needed supplies from now til after the birth im sure. ill do my best to keep all updated.

20. Congoman

Congoman Big Dog

Make sure you put her in that keep pen around 2 weeks before her due date. She may hold the pups if she doesn't trust her new environment.