1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

puppy problem please help if can???

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by d-phi931, Jul 19, 2006.

1. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

i have to new pups and im in the process of crate training but the dogs keep doing their business and lying in it. now my question is how do i keep them clean? i have heard from everybody that i wash them everyday cause it meses up their coat but i don't know what else to do to keep them clean and they are kept in the house so you can imagine the smell.i let them out as much as possible so they can get used to doing their business outside; cleaning the cage is no problem but keeping them clean is cause don't want to mess up the coat. how often should they be washed? someone please help thanks.

2. kutiee25

kutiee25 Pup

wow u sound like me! well i wipe him off with sant wipes! i wash him like one time a month! it all depends how freakin dirty and smellyhe gets! my dogs the same thing, but he is gettin better (atleastwe hope)! so like 1 time a month or like i said it depends!

3. Attila

Attila Guest

How old are your puppies? Do you take them out every two hours and imediatly after they have eaten food or drank water. A puppy can't hold it for very long. You must be diligent on thise they can't make an 8+ hour stint in a crate with out deficating or vioding. And if they do so in the crate and they have not other place to lay then there you are. puppies with poo all over them. You should not feed them or give them water three hours prior to going in a crate for an extended period of time. If you have to go to work you will need to get out of bed earlier and take care of the pups first. It is an obligation and a chore. It will reward you in the end.

4. semo

semo Top Dog

i am not 100%, but it seems people are a little bit over paranoid about washing a puppy.. I would imagine that they have good products that wouldnt cause any major problems.

I could be wrong.

The Watcher likes this.
  5. ok first off when a dog is covered in it's own feces it does more harm to the dogs coat than a shampoo ever will,when they have crap all over them wash em down with a nice gentle oatmeal shampoo it isnt going to hurt them one bit,just make sure they dont get a chill,since it is nice and hot pretty much all around the country bath em outside where it is nice and warm.now as far as the crate it sounds like you are putting them in to big of a crate and not taking them out often enough.but you will have to clairfy a bit more on your scheduale and what size crate they are in.

6. maximusab

maximusab Big Dog

Just take them outside and hose them off. Or use the bathtub. Just water won't hurt thier coats. Just don't use shampoo unless you have too. Also get some kinfd of treat. I use chopped up hotdogs. When you take your pup out take them one at a time. As soon as they hit the grass give them a command. I sa "go potty" keep saying this until they go. As soon as they squat say it again and praise them. I mean praise them like a blubbering idiot. Then give them a treat. If they go in the crate or house don't say anything just immediatley take then outside and do the above.

Eventuallythey will associate going outside with a treat. When they do this reliably you can stop the treats. All of my dogs will pee on command. Even ifthey can't pee they will squat and pretend too go. Just try to let them out as much as possible and never associate going outside with a punishment ie... scolding the dog and throwing them out. Always positive.

Remember if they go in the house it is "your fault" not thiers. So do not do the old rub thier nose in it. This is a huge classic mistake. I have been a part time professional dog trainer for five years and see this all the time. It is the same as calling a dog and then hitting it. Common mistake. And then people come to me and say "my dog runs off and when I call him he won't come. And I say because you get pissed and beat the crap out of him. If I call your name and you walk up to me and I punch you in the face are you going to come next time? no. If I call your name and give you a twenty dollar bill are you going to come next time? I think so.

Anyway, just try to be consistent and let them out on sort or a schedule. It will pass. We have all been there. Also so if they whine more than usual hurry! If they are just whining because they want out ignore them. Don't reinforce whining with attention or they will never shut the hell up. Even negative attention is attention.

7. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

You can always rinse the pups with water. I agree feces and urine is more harmful than a gentle shampoo. Try oatmeal if anything.

Either way, maybe you need to modify your training tecnique. It sounds like they are "going" in there crates more than they should. Your post was vague so maybe I am wrong.

Some info on housebreaking and crate training from one of my favorite sites:

http://www.leerburg.com/housebrk.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  8. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

You may be leaving your pup in the crate for too long, also if the crate is too big, there's a better chance of the pup doing his business in it. A smaller crate, just big enough for him/her to stand up and turn around in, will lessen the chances of it happening. Dogs dont want to mess on themselves, with a bigger crate it's like they think they can do it on one end and stay clean.....

9. Very true. I cant go without washing a puppy that has feces all over him....thats cruelty.....oatmeal shampoo will do the trick, i think people are worried about it drying out their skin, you may also want to consider a mild conditioner for puppies....it works wonders, and doesn't dry out their skin.

10. i dont know why everyone is so paranoid about washing a dog off if it is dirty,espically if it has its own feces and urine on it.if you dont clean the dog with a mild shampoo not only will it damage the coat but you run the risk of severe skin irritation from the bacteria and such in the watse.if the dog is dirty bath it it aint gonna lose all it's hair and it isnt going to die,lol.

11. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I hate seeing puppies in a little crate,,I would give them enough room so if they do use the bathroom they have the room to get away from in and lay down somewhere else,,if the breeder didn't clean up after them right away they get use to the doodo around them,,and its no big deal to them,,as adults they will step in it and not care. just make sure u keep them clean and their areas clean and they won't become "dirty dogs" a bath will not hurt them. I agree that they need the doodo off them.

12. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

i think that for every month a pup is, it can wait about an hour as a rule of thumb. so you can know about how often it needs to go out. so if you can keep up that schedule it'd help. and if you really praise the dog when it does go in the right place. so maybe then it won't get as much crap on it. but as far as keepin it clean,, just do it. it should be nayoral for it to stay outta it's excrement, so it must be having to wait to long. jmo