1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

puppy....pregnant???

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by sumair2412, Apr 30, 2010.

1. hi i have a 8 and a half month old pitbull puppy.
    i recently realised she came into season 4 weeks ago with blood round her vulva therefore i seperated her from my male akita...im presuming 4 weeks on from this she has come out of season, she is still seprated however her nipples are still swollen

could anyone tell if shes pregnant?, false pregnancy? or anything. thanks

Attached Files:

2. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

best way to know would be to take her in for an ultrasound. hard to tell the difference between a false pregnancy and the real deal from pictures.

3. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

that dont mean she is pregnant.time will tell more

4. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I would decide based on my plans for the female. If she was bred, it is too late to give her an injection to prevent the litter.

SO if this is a female that you feel is worthy of breeding that you want to keep intact for the future, I would just wait and see, or go get a pregnancy test or an ultrasound from the vet. If she does have a mixed breed litter, you will be responsible for the unwanted pups.

If this is a pet, with no reason to be bred other than adding more pits to the population, I would spay her immediately and not worry about it.

Good luck. But no one can tell from the provided info whether she is pregnant or not. :)

5. I would either abort the litter or cull the pups at birth if she does turn out to be pregnant. Akita x APBT mix pups are certainly not pups to hand to just the average dog owner. You need someone who you really trust to keep that dog out of the newspapers - you have an intensely dog aggressive breed mixed into an intensely human (stranger) aggressive guarding breed, they will take a responsible owner with a firm hand.

Some stupid folks used to always try to get me to breed my Akita bitch to an APBT (why the f*ck I cannot tell??) and I would always tell them that sounded like the nightmare mix from hell to me.

6. thanks guys for the replies, i was more worried bout it being dangerous to give birth at her age. has anyone experienced a bitch giving birth in their first season? if so how did it go?

i will call the vets tommorow

7. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

May be a phantom pregnancy, my mates bitch always gets them.
    But definatly get her checked out

8. velli2008

velli2008 Big Dog

IF she was contained properly, and you know for a FACT that she was kept away from all males during her heat cycle, then there would be absolutely no reason for this question "is she pregnant?" to be asked.

9. thanks for the unhelpful reply however as i said i noticed blood then seperated her so im not sure if my male bred her before or if she was in herproestrus stage and couldnt be bred at the time, hence the pictures and question

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

it may be possible, & correct if im wrong but i dont believe the bitch will take to him until a day or two after she stops bleeding.

11. Finkle

Finkle Big Dog

If you noticed blood fairly early into her heat then she probably wasn't at a point where she would have even accepted a male, usually 10-15 days into her cycle is when there actually at a point of tying up, but all dogs differ. Some dogs though when they go through there cycle even there first cycle get more hormonal then others and will take on/show signs of pregnancy but every dog is different. I seen a bitch that would swell up every time she came out of her cycle but was never bred so chances are your safe but go to the vets and see what they tell you, and like someone before mentioned if she is, cull them pups that's a bad cross for these kind of animals.

12. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I definitely agree, cull the pups. As far as your concern about the female being too young to be having a litter, you have right to be. It's too soon and I don't think you're supposed to breed a female until about two years old. Her body isn't fully developed yet. I really don't know how serious the risk is but only that it is too soon and not preferred for her to be having a litter yet. Definitly something to be asking the vet about if you find out she is pregnant.

13. ganja

ganja Big Dog

people don't say "don't breed before the age of 2" because of the health problems, they say it because before the age of 2 the stud or dam would not have the time to prove him/her worthy of being bred.

I don't believe there are more risks than any other pregnancy at an older age. but that's JMO.

pregnancy's are always risky for females regardless of age.

14. osk

osk Pup

alot of females will have a false pregnancy after their 1st heat cycle. the teets will swell a bit and she may act in a way that a pregnant dog acts.. ie scratching in her crate and pulling on her blanket. Best thing to do is take her for an ultrasound. Also keep in mind that some female show very late when actually prgnant. So ultrsound is the way to go.

15. venom

venom Top Dog

I had an American Bulldog, she had permanent tits like that. She was never bred. never had pups... she died early but had nips that hung about your dogs length maybe bit higher for good portion of her life.

16. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

I have seen females accept males even before they came in heat.

17. big von

big von Big Dog

She is not pregnant. she is just maturing

18. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Then she's a ho.

19. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

bwahahahaha!

20. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

A "friend" of mine had a pup get pregnant at 5 months in her first heat. She gave birth and raised the pups just fine(by some miracle) but she wasn't right mentally after that and was pts.