1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy Peddling on this Site.

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Scotsman, Feb 11, 2007.

1. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

To even plan to use a pup as a stud still does not make any sense. Do what you do man.

2. diva

diva CH Dog

I love this forum. But, I think people in glasses houses should not throw stones. some people are so quick to jump down a person's throat when they aint livin' "right" themself. What ever happened to live and let live? LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
  3. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I agree with Diva. Then why would a breeder even go to purchase a new prospect, if in his eyes he hopes and looks forward to that prospect becoming his stud of the year? Assuming that the dog shows every quality that he is looking for.

4. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

I have never even considered breeding a dog. Their are to many great breeders with exceptional animals for me to be breeding. And no I don't consider breeding a new pup when I get it. It would be years before I would know, so I would wait until that time came. To put that much faith in a pup is ridiculous. Their are to many high caliber studs for me to be considering breeding a pup "if" he turned out.

5. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

And so you think these 'great' breeders just bought pups with no plans for them? Breeders don't randomly pick dogs. Breeders pick dogs with intentions (aka 'plans') of it becoming a part of their breeding program, after it has shown it meets the standards of their program. You do put faith in a pup, if it doesn't make it, cull from the program.

6. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Last I knew Crazy didn't even OWN any APBT's. Gamebred or other wise. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  7. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

That is also like saying a working kennel doesn't buy pups assuming the pup will become a great prospect for the box. Working kennels don't buy random pups or young dogs, they would get one having faith in that dog that it becomes a great box dog.

8. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

So you are "planning" to stud your seven month old dog? If it does not turn out you are going to cull it? This is were the cycle begins. People putting so much faith in a pup and having intentions (aka 'plans') to breed it. When the times comes they have been planning so long to breed the dog they go ahead and bred it even if the animal is subpar. A dog will let you know if he needs to be bred you do not have to make "plans" for a pup before he is even old enough to be bred.

9. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

A good breeder would not 'go ahead and breed' a subpar animal. a BYB would.
    I have hopes and plans to turn Max into a stud, through show confirmation, but if he can't even get a 3rd place ribbon then no, he doesn't deserve to throw offspring. I really don't even consider myself a breeder as I've never bred dogs yet, but I in the years ahead I hope to have animals worthy of it. So I myself did not pick my dog with intentions of breeding him, but as he grew I started hoping he would become a stud as I think he will be good in the ring.
    But even though you say that most people will not cull a dog when it doesn't meet standards, you agree that respectable breeders acquire pups in hopes that it becomes a part of their breeding program.

10. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Just because you have a pretty dog with papers does NOT mean it needs to be bred. Winning a beauty contest does NOT mean the dog needs to be bred.

pennsooner likes this.
  11. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

You are one of that last people that should be saying anything with your CKC pups. You do live in a glass house so watch out. Better people than you have been banned from this site, I personally think you should be.
    http://www.freewebs.com/loveabullkennels/puppies.htm

12. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

IMO, people should have VERY high standards to breed a dog. And most of us (and I include myself in this number) should leave it to those who know how. Too many dogs and too many substandard dogs running around and rotting in shelters to be offhandedly bringing more into the world. And I've never bred a dog, or even BOUGHT a dog.

And unless I find myself with some very precise reason to breed, I never will. And the show ring isn't one of them. I do plan to buy a pup to show, but even making champion (show) isn't a reason to breed a dog, IMO. To be breeding quality the dog should show outstanding working/sport ability.

13. Attila

Attila Guest

Well when people do that sort of stuff like calling the Wheaton Terrier soft or rough coated a Wheatie it annoys the shit out of me. They can't expect another person that doesn't know a damn thing about the dog to know what you are talking about when you say that. I only know because last week I got into that one with some woman at the feed store. I just asked her what the hell kind of animal she was talking about. Because to me Wheaties is a cereal not a dog. Pit is a hole. Allot of old timers call our dog plan ole bull dog. My grandparents did. I tend to call them American Pit Bull Terriers. Some times Bull dog and if I am in a good mood I will respond to some one saying pit bull. Otherwise I ignore them and act like I don't understand them. Stupid people offend me. The peddlers and byb's do fit into that catagory as well as dog beaters, yellers, padlock wearing idiots and so on. but the deal is communication with those that use slang. One can't expect every one to understand your slang or another persons slang. If I am talking to some one that don't know shit about the breed I am going to call it by its full name. And most people don't know shit. They should be breeding themselves not alone breeding dogs. There needs to be a culling program implemented for humans. I would start with the BSL passing folks and work my way down the stupid list.

14. simms

simms CH Dog

Geeze Whom ever is selling/placing a gamebred dog with you, needs to check them themselves!

This poster does not have the right refferences to get a dog from me!

15. simms

simms CH Dog

Shut it! You dont know what your talking about!

16. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

What exactly makes me incapable of caring for and owning a game line APBT?

17. this kind of argument takes the cake. people who don't breed telling how to breed....people who don't even own a bulldog telling how to breed......people who have no idea what breeding is planning to breed.........and nobody listening. if you listen to the logic of some then nobody in the usa could possibly be breeding bulldogs legally. i remember just the other day when it was said that what happens in someone elses yard is THEIR business. does that apply here too? i'm not defending lethal but he didn't peddle pups on this site. that crap was dug up on another site. so whoever wants to bash him should go to that site and do it unless he did something to deserve it here. maybe the sites where the stuff was found really is old and not updated. ever think of that??? when he FIRST joined here he told of his "PLANS" and got a pretty good lashing for it. since he has admitted his blindness and pretty much been in line with the good peoples thinking of the board.

18. simms

simms CH Dog

You have No clue what it is to be a good breeder. Let alone what to look for in a dog!

debodebo likes this.
  19. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

If you buy a show dog, from a show breeder, that is meant for the show, then what other angles are you planning on making that dog worthy of other than that? Conformation and weight pulling. You don't buy game dogs and turn that bloodline into show dogs. You don't take show dogs and turn that bloodline and turn it into fighting dogs.

So if you buy show dogs and they excel at what they were bred to do and what they are suppose to then they can continue the line of showdogs IMO.

20. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Anyway, I'm done digging holes. Crazy threw out a flyer of CKC pups that I made for SOMEONE ELSE and threw it in my face. I apologized for my mistakes from last year, because advertising pups someone else's pups is just as bad. Then went on to say I have hopes and plans that my male will become a good stud. Big deal. I sold a female dog to someone I know. Big deal. I have a female for sale to an appropriate owner. Big deal. I've never bred dogs, but I aim to have a show stock and a game stock in the years ahead of me, but learning more in the process. Hate me if you wish. EDIT: And breeding doesn't mean your selling dogs.

The whole breeder argument is a dead end road. Game breeders for game dogs.
    Show breeders for show dogs. Either or the dogs need to be exceptional in either category to be worthy of throwing offspring. That's my opinion. They don't have to be exceptional in both.