1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pupp Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BravoTx, Jul 9, 2010.

1. BravoTx

BravoTx Pup

Who out there self-vaccinates thier own pups and what are the cost differences as opposed to going to the Vet. What is the reccomended de-wormer of choice for you folks.

2. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Around here there are traveling vets in Petco and another cheap place is Spot clinics. I personally use them they are $5 to $15 pershot depending. That way I ain't got to figure dose etc out but they don't charge office visit and BS test fees. Dewormer you can get from a feedstore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I do my own 5-1 dhlpp shots for 6 bucks apiece or a box of 25 for around 24$ Rabies has to be done by a vet here. Thats about 32$ cuz they fuck you with the office visit for 22$;)

4. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I pay about 3 bucks for a 7 way,at the vet here the same shot is $14.If you have very many dogs the vet will break you unless you give your own.I usually worm with Safeguard.I buy the 1000 ML bottle for around $115 -$120 at the feedstore.To put into perspective what the vet charges I had a puppy in the vet's office one day and we decided to just worm it while I was there.The charge was $3 for 3 ML of wormer.My wife ask him if it was Safeguard and he said yes.That would make that $120 bottle of wormer equal to $1000 bottle if the vet was giving it.To much mark up in price for me.

5. Strongid or (P.P) is the best thing to worm a pup with up to 12 weeks. Then Safeguard or Ivermectin. The Ivermectin is heartworm prevenitive also. Just make sure your doses are correct. If you use safeguard before 12 weeks it can strip good bacteria out of the intestines and cause digestion problems. You can do the shots yourself, the 5 way for the first one and a 7 way for the ones there after. The 7 way has lepto and shouldn't be given till 9 weeks. Timing is very importain for virus resistance, shots should be given 3-4 weeks apart.

6. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

u can give ur 1st vaccination @ 6 weeks,then @ 8 weeks n 10 weeks.those will b the 5 way.after 12 weeks u can give the 7 way.puppies shuldnt have lepto till 12 weeks or older.sum breeders only do the 6 n 8 weeks, then wait till after 12 weeks fr the final one.ur best bet is to call ur breeder n ask how he or she does it.fr wormer i use ivomec n nemex-2.the ivomec is fr cattle n swine so u only use 1 tenth of a cc per 10lbs every 3 weeks.nemex is 1cc per 5lbs.i buy my vacines at the feed store for $6, n the ivomec n nemex-2 i order fr jeffers.com.i do it the same way the my breeder does it,ur breeder mite do it different