1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pup

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bryce, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

Hey,I just rescued a 6 week old APBT pup what should i feed it since its pretty young

2. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Canidae all life stages

3. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

aight thanks 4 the help

4. at 6 weeks they will be weaned, you can use your kibble of choice.

5. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

ok thanks,ive got a bottle of pet tabs that i give to my other dogs, would it be alright to give them to the pup ?

6. I don't see why not, but if I am not mistaken you only give pups half a tab.

7. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

yea only half,thanks for the help guys

8. You can also try soaking the kibble in water at least two hours before you feed and it is easier for the little ones like that to eat.... That is what I did with my girl.

9. good tip, but if you do that use cold water.

hot water will separate the fat from the kibble.

10. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

yea that is good tip,Thanks for the help

11. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

do you think it would be alright to slowly transition into a raw diet

12. CRG

CRG Top Dog

I would stick with a quality kibble til that pup is older.Raw diet is more then just throwing some meat & veggies together.IMO stick with a good quality kibble if you want to try a raw diet wait till he gets older.This is a young dog and proper nutrition is the key of his development.

13. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

yea but proper nutrition can be obtained if a raw diet is done correctly. I say if ur really interested in a raw diet do ur research and find out what works, if it sounds like its too much work to handle just stick with kibble

14. CRG

CRG Top Dog

I agree with you 100%, that's why i said there is more to it then throwing meat and veggies together.I'm taking from previous post that he might not have to much experience with feeds.That there is alot that goes into raw diets that he would be better off with a quality kibble with a pup that age.

15. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

at this age get a nice dry kibble.soak it in water and mash it till a mush forms and they can just sort of lap it up.do this for about a week,then go to just wetted down for another week,then at 8 weeks he should be eating it just out of the bag.i never was a fan of raw and don't know a whole lot about it but i would think a pup of that age wouldn't get much out of it because it would be to hard to eat.and the time it would take to prepare it right would get pretty tiresome after a while.kibble first then go from there.now a question i have for you is why ain't this pup still with the momma?

16. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

thanks for all the help guys,and they found this pup and its brother wondering on the streets

17. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

Hey What Kibble Would Yall Use And Is It Ok For Me To Give Him Raw Bones

18. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

I use Neutro or diamond but everyone has a dif opinion on that. Dont know about the raw bones for a pup that age though.

19. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

ok thanks guys but is it ok to give him raw bones since his diet is not 100% raw

20. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

raw bones as a treat is fine, actually its good for him it cleans teeth better than any product u can buy in the store. I however would wait a little while till he gets his adult teeth because u don't want him breaking his baby teeth. I would go with a good quality kibble that is available to you